• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Resistance is futile. KTM 490 HUSKY 501

Should be a great bike for some serious adventure riding that doesn't involve any long stretches of tarmac.

I tend to think “long stretches of tarmac” as moto touring instead of adventure riding.
Maybe but I do think we can all define Adventure as what we want and that's ok.

For example, there are guys that ride from Texas to Montana and will ride 500 miles of pavement one day and 150 miles of dirt another and will vary between dirt and pavement for a week or two. I think that would definitely qualify as an Adventure ride in my opinion but I wouldn't want to be on a 490 for that much pavement.

If I had a 490 Adventure, my guess is I'd trailer it to Colorado and then start riding back roads and BDRs rather than ride it from DFW.

Anyway...that's all I was trying to say.

I think best scenario, is to have a smaller bike for fun of road and a better one for the touring adventure, like Tom and 2WheelNut mention,
There is not a perfect all around bike I think but is what we made out of it that is part of the adventure. Big bike are great fun for some many aspect but I would really like to get a smaller bike to go in tight place.

If I had a 490 Adventure, my guess is I'd trailer it to Colorado and then start riding back roads and BDRs rather than ride it from DFW.
This. Riding across that part of Texas is no longer an adventure, but something to be endured. I did get a good cheeseburger last time, but I can do that with my truck.

This. Riding across that part of Texas is no longer an adventure, but something to be endured. I did get a good cheeseburger last time, but I can do that with my truck.
I do like the idea of a bike that I could put on my 400 lb hitch carrier to haul to places like NM and CO that would be more comfortable to ride on the road than a dirt bike. Guessing the 490 ADV may be pushing that weight limit.

Back