• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

(Results in)Which bike to ride across the country? Under 600lbs

Reaction score
Update 5/8/2021
/
I picked a 2018 BMW R1200RT. I’ll be doing a fly and ride to bring the bike from Las Cruses New Mexico to Santa Fe TX. This will be about 1,000 miles the long way so I should have a good feel for the bike. I’ll give a report when I get back. Thanks for all the input.
/

If you could pick any bike under 600lbs to ride across America on your favorite paved route, which would it be?

BMW GS(A) - 11
V-strom 1000/650 - 6
BMW RT - 4
KLR - 4
BMW S1000XR - 3
Kawasaki H2SXSE+ - 3
KTM 1190/1290 - 2
Honda NT700V - 2
Super Tenere - 2
BMW K1200S - 1
Yamaha FZ6 - 1
CB500X - 1
Triumph Tiger 900 - 1
Triumph Thruxton 900 - 1
Hayabusa - 1
Motoguzi V73 - 1
Super Duke GT - 1
FJR - 1
Versys 1000 - 1
K75RT - 1
Africa Twin - 1
BMW F800GT - 1
VFR 1200 F - 1
Honda Nighthawk 750 - 1
Victory Vegas - 1
Suzuki Bandit - 1

Last edited:
If I had to pick just one and this is just for funsies then I'd go with a Motus MSTR (yes I know they don't make them anymore). Or maybe a BMW S1000XR... or maybe a Kawi H2 SX SE+.

Or I'd just do it on the bike that I already have. :)

My BMW K1200S, hands down. Super comfy, great performance... it's hyper sport touring at its best!

I have done cross country tours on a KLR, a Yamaha FZ 6 and a CB 500x .If your not doing long mileage each day, you don’t need a big touring bike, just one that is properly prepared, and can carry your kit. One thing though, make sure it has stock exhaust, loud pipes will wear you out, like riding in the rain.

Yup, I'm confident my '09 wee with over 75k miles would carry me comfortably all across this great nation and back again.

Can't say I wouldn't mind a nicer biks but I have to go with my Gen KLR'ER as long as I can pick the roads.

My GS Adventure has taken me all over the country and could again. Of course, it's for sale and I'd have to ride a different bike if it ever sells.

My Moto Guzzi V7 III would be just fine. Problem is my older body cant hack too many hours/days/miles without issues, particularly one back muscle.

Going cross country is about the only time I’d even consider a bike that weighed more than 600 pounds. If we’re keeping it under that limit, I’d go with a Super Duke GT. I’d probably be more comfortable on a 1290 Super Adventure, but I’ve never been known to make the most sensible decisions when it comes to motorcycles.

I owned a KLR650 and loved it, but if you ride I-10 be sure you stay on the shoulder. My 14 DL1000 at about 500# can go longer than I can :).
I think shaft drive and large tank would be best choice.

1608369657931.png

Well, my Harley is made for this stuff, but exceeds the weight limit. I'll take my Versys 1000. The thing is smooth as butter. I would need to fashion up some sort of back rest though. A necessary creature comfort for long road trips!

If me, I'd want decent wind protection, upright seating, comfortable seat, shaft drive, tubeless tires, large gas tank,
2020-BMW-R-1250-GS-Adventure-buyers-guide-ADV-Motorcycle-6-400x283.jpg
and some light luggage. The GS 1250 Adventure comes in just under 600 #'s and would fit the bill for me. I think most of the larger Adv type bikes would work great in that weight range.

Either my 16 S1000XR or my 18 R1200GS depending on which had the fresher tires on it at the time I decided to go

Well I just did half the country on a KTM 1190 Adv R with cruise and a comfy seat and it was a breeze. And when needing to pass on 2-lanes it was instantaneous.

Let me know when you're ready to come pick it up because it'll be for sale in a week or so :-P

I'd take my Africa Twin, though if probably want to add cruise control first. I'd also prefer to get off the pavement where I can (TAT anyone?). Not because of the bike, as it's great on pavement, but that's just my riding preference.

I'd pick a Goldwing, a Kawasaki C14 or a Yamaha FJR. The 600 pound number is not relevant to me. 700 - 850 pounds for long tours on pavement isn't a big deal.

If 600 was a hard limit, I'd pick a BMW GS 1250.

Ps...do I have to buy and maintain this bike or is that done for me? There are lots of cool bikes out there that I might put on this list on someone else's dime.

Back