• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

(Results in)Which bike to ride across the country? Under 600lbs

Results updated in original post. Lots of interesting responses. KLR people are crazy, that bike would be at the bottom of my list but to each their own. Not surprising to see a lot of BMW GS. Very smooth/balanced bike.

The reason for the weight limit is personal preference. I owned a big bike and I hated walking the bike on overpasses in traffic, accidentally parking the wrong way on a hill, anything under 10 miles an hour or pea gravel etc. Sport touring like the s1000xr and Super Duke GT got less votes than I expected. They seem like fun bikes but maybe it’s a posture/ergonomics issue. Lots of love for the Stroms. I’m curious why?

Last edited:
D E P E N D A B L E....& lo maintainance
8 of em since 03..all bought used...over 250K with only a couple of problems. A fried ground connector on the 87K 04 650... A clogged fuel filter on the 84K 06 650...& a stator rect/reg replacement on the 36K 2011 650 (the 2012s were covered under a recall... mine wasnt)

The 3 Teneres so far are following the same pattern of dependability
2013 with 20K over 12 months
2014 with 28K over 24 months
2014 with 14K over 14 months (& a Strom 1000 with 8K over 10 months)

& a parade of others... Versys 650...a 2012 650 Strom (appx 5K)...a Triumph Scrambler...a Guzzi Stelvio...

Sent from my LML212VL using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I believe the GSA is over 600 before adding luggage. Still a good choice.
Per BMW website:
Unladen weight, road ready, fully fueled
591 lbs
I checked before nominating! YMMV

D E P E N D A B L E....& lo maintainance
8 of em since 03..all bought used...over 250K with only a couple of problems. A fried ground connector on the 87K 04 650... A clogged fuel filter on the 84K 06 650...& a stator rect/reg replacement on the 36K 2011 650 (the 2012s were covered under a recall... mine wasnt)

The 3 Teneres so far are following the same pattern of dependability
2013 with 20K over 12 months
2014 with 28K over 24 months
2014 with 14K over 14 months (& a Strom 1000 with 8K over 10 months)

& a parade of others... Versys 650...a 2012 650 Strom (appx 5K)...a Triumph Scrambler...a Guzzi Stelvio...

Yes the Tenere is very versatile also! Solid bike.

I rode my KLR from Waxahachie to Waco once and I swear my hands buzzed for 30 minutes after I got off.

Was not looking forward to the ride home.

Another bike I'd add is the Tiger 1200. It is technically more comfortable than my Tiger 900 on the highway, but it feels way heavier and the engine puts off a good deal of heat. If I was riding across the country during colder weather, the Tiger 1200 would probably be my pick. But if I was going to be riding any length of time in 85+ degree weather, I'd rather be on my Tiger 900.

Rod he didn’t say he was having a reliability contest. We all know how reliable the jap bikes are. He wants to ride across the country not around the house.

Blasphemy, not a mention for the tube frame BUELL... You'll be the only one there on a BUELL unlike all the other Me Too xyz bikes... Dirt simple / no eye patch needed🤨...
Discuss Carry On
20190223_104912.jpg

Rod he didn’t say he was having a reliability contest. We all know how reliable the jap bikes are. He wants to ride across the country not around the house.
Like I said.....pointless....Joe

He asked why so many folks suggested Stroms. When I ride across the country...I like reliable low maint lo cost bikes. That way theres more $$$ to spend on a longer trip.

if I was going to rent a bike and run all paved to Seattle to get a cup of coffee , it would be the gsa 1250 with that 8 gallon gas tank.

If I was going to OWN a bike it would be my Africa twin with the auxiliary tank or the new Africa twin adventure sports. A requirement for me is Electronic cruise control, at least 6 gallons of gas and DCT for the fun factor.

Second place for owning a bike would be a 2018+ DCT Goldwing.

Another vote for the GSA. Kevin you can’t pick the Goldwing it weighs in to heavy. But you can pick the Vstrom 650 for your second pick it’s reliable. 🤣

I’ll add a second Buell to the list. A Ullysses with all the trimmings. I’ve actually toured half the US on it.

BMW RT hands down,Great brakes,suspension,fuel mileage,range,torque,comfort,wind protection,heated seats,grips,adjustable windshield,detachable luggage,easy removable rear wheel,and mine’s paid for.Just my humble opinion having owned almost all motorcycles mentoned.

Another vote for the Super Tenere Not to mention the factory CC.

Last edited:
Anything that you can add forward foot pegs to rest your feet on gets my vote. I rode my DL1000 from Dallas to Toronto a few years back and it was a great ride but at about 100 miles each strech I was fidgeting around so bad. If I had a good set of length appropriate foot pegs to rest my feet on use to stretch my legs and change positions probably would have made for a lot less fidget stopping. It wasn't a terrible thing though because my Vstrom was looking for fuel after about 120 miles anyways

Would be a good choice, I didn't realize it came in under 600#'s but it does!
BMW RT hands down,Great brakes,suspension,fuel mileage,range,torque,comfort,wind protection,heated seats,grips,adjustable windshield,detachable luggage,easy removable rear wheel,and mine’s paid for.Just my humble opinion having owned almost all motorcycles mentoned.

I like the RT, a lot, but does the motor jugs cramp your legs for taller riders? After riding a rental GS on a tour for several days this was my only complaint and I would imagine that the RT has a more cramped riding position than the GS?

I like the RT, a lot, but does the motor jugs cramp your legs for taller riders? After riding a rental GS on a tour for several days this was my only complaint and I would imagine that the RT has a more cramped riding position than the GS?
I hope somebody that knows answers this. I’m wondering the same thing.

I hope somebody that knows answers this. I’m wondering the same thing.
I'm 6'1" with a 34" inseam. I ride the tall seat setting and have standard factory foot pegs. It's always the case that somewhere along the way on a long trip I wish that I had highway pegs. Yes it does get somewhat tiresome with the heals underneath you. There are plenty of RT aftermarket highway peg options. Though I've chosen for now not to go that route.

I love the diversity of the responses. This is what motorcycling is about - a 1000 different ways to do it and so many of them sound really fun. Looking over them, I could imagine myself taking a cross-country trip on nearly all of the suggested rides. The only bike I have done "across America" on isn't listed: Versys 650.

So EETTU - what's the plan? Buy and Ride? "Across America" sure can mean a lot of different things - what's it mean to you?

Well I weigh in about 210 right now and I could get by with about a 45 pound kit so that leaves
345 for the bike wet and ready...

:ponder:

I love the diversity of the responses. This is what motorcycling is about - a 1000 different ways to do it and so many of them sound really fun. Looking over them, I could imagine myself taking a cross-country trip on nearly all of the suggested rides. The only bike I have done "across America" on isn't listed: Versys 650.

So EETTU - what's the plan? Buy and Ride? "Across America" sure can mean a lot of different things - what's it mean to you?
My brother lives 998 miles away in Colorado. He got a motorcycle and I’d like to be able to ride up there and ride with him. That would be around 2500 miles per trip minimum.

Back