• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Resurrecting an old abandoned Goldwing

Great job!

Thank you. I sure am happy with it. Now I've worked myself out of anything to do though.

Minor update. Goofy little issues to address.

• I had added Seafoam to the oil to clean out any sludge from sitting so long. So, after 100 miles of riding it's time for an oil change.
  • The clutch feels a bit stiff. It's the original cable and if it's as rusty internally as the throttle cables were, it needs changing. New cable ordered.
  • The right side mirror was bent and kinked like a sad looking donkey. I may have done this when I had the fairing laying on the shop floor.
Oil change is quick and easy.

20200404_145442-X2.jpg

Looking back I think the bent mirror may be on me. I had the fairing laying on the shop floor right behind the bike lift. One time when I was letting the lift down I heard a noise in that direction. I bet the lift settled down on it and bent the mirror. Regardless, I grabbed a good used OEM one off eBay for 16 dollars. Emgo makes aftermarket replacements for about the same money, but personally I'll take a used Honda mirror over a new Chinese one any day.

20200404_144145-X2.jpg

20200404_144155-X2.jpg

Now to await the new clutch cable's arrival. I should probably figure out what to do about the seat too. It's got some mouse damage to the foam and sitting on it isn't a picnic.

In the mean time I'm reorganizing the shop and hoping to find a new project pretty soon.

Last edited:
Thanks for taking through your project. I really like the fact that you went into it with the mindset to make it a rider not a showpiece. I would rather see a clean rider out on the road than a museum quality piece locked away for view only.

I have neither the time nor the skill to do this, but I applaud you for doing it. That's what a Gold Wing is supposed to look like.

Just ran across thread. Gotta say that the old GWs are my favorite road bike from that era. Nothing but class. I have an old one in my garage that needs the same treatment. Your bike looks great. Please keep up the good work.

Thank you.
I'm currently looking for my next project. When I decide on one I'll start another similar thread on here.

So I began search for an old Goldwing... It didn't take long until I found a 1982 Goldwing Aspencade sitting abandoned in a driveway.
Typical of my project history. The buy-in was super low but the end result will be unreasonably expensive. You'd think I'd eventually learn...
HA! "Been there, done that" THREE TIMES!
It's always ended on a happy note...

I always choose the offbeat or the hopeless cases.... It didn't take long until I found a 1982 Goldwing Aspencade sitting abandoned in a driveway.

View attachment 257020

Typical of my project history. The buy-in was super low but the end result will be unreasonably expensive. You'd think I'd eventually learn...

HUH???? That thing looks "showroom fresh" compared to some of the bikes I started with...

I did 2 Gold Wing gas tank-ectomies. LOTS of work!

This is a great project, by the way...

Grandpaul, I don't know a lot about restoring bikes, but even I can tell that Triumph needed some $$$ thrown at it. :D

I thought of this thread while stopped for gas in June in Shoshoni Wyoming, as a 90 year old lady came over to compliment me on her bike and offered to sell me her husband's old old old goldwing that he hasn't been able to ride in ages. If it wasn't Shoshoni Wyoming, I might have been intrigued.

I've started with worse beginnings on some of my projects. Once you've done a couple of hopeless restorations, the challenge is gone it just becomes a money hemorrhage trying to outdo yourself on each successive project. I'm tired of that race. Been there and done that.

I've started with worse beginnings on some of my projects. Once you've done a couple of hopeless restorations, the challenge is gone it just becomes a money hemorrhage trying to outdo yourself on each successive project. I'm tired of that race. Been there and done that.
I wish I had your talent and attention to detail. Your Goldwing project was a lot of fun to follow.

Back