• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Retired Air Force guy in Abilene

Reaction score
First Name
James
Registered a while ago but never got around to the obligatory Introduction post.... so here it is.

Name is James living in "good ol' Abilene" for the last 8 years. Retired from the Air Force (hence Abilene, and Dyess AFB) back in Aug. '20 and been enjoying life since. Worked as an aircraft electrician for a good while on the mighty C-5 Galaxy and finished off my career doing boring paperwork stuff and managing aircraft and people.

Staying pretty busy working on folks bikes, out of my garage. Do quite a lot of tire changes and fork seals and other routine maintenance for folks around here. It really bothers me how much shops charge for basic stuff. I get it... they have overhead, have to pay their employees, etc etc, but a lot of the guys I help are military and I don't charge much at all. Better to put money back in the pockets of these young guys so they can have safe bikes, than them not affording to take it to a shop and having an unsafe bike to ride.

Anywho... hello! :patriot:

Howdy and welcome!

Thank you for your service with the USAF and thank you for keeping the military folks rolling safely.

Welcome James from an AF Brat, and thank you for your service. I have two brothers in law that were loadmasters on the C-5 out of Westover, and a deceased family friend that was a flight engineer on the B-29 with my dad during Korea, then the C-124 during Vietnam in the early 60s, then the C-141 and then on to the C-5 in the early days at Dover. I can remember when they did the first tour of the C-5 and brought it to Guam in the very early 70s. I found it hard to believe that something that big could get off the ground. Amazing aircraft.

Welcome, good on you for staying busy and helping other cyclists out. My uncle is retired AF and was a B52 Mechanic.

Welcome. I’m retired AF, hung it up in ‘93 after 22 1/2.

Howdy! Serving with the CAF was the best I could do. Love watching C5's do touch and go's from Kelly City Base.

Back