• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Ride Around Arkansas

Reaction score
I successfully tackled this about 2 weeks ago. There are now a bunch of IBA "Ride Around" and "Lap of" rides, and I think this is one of the newer ones. Info here

https://www.ironbutt.com/themerides/raark/

The entire trip must be within the state of Arkansas which means a few deviations from what otherwise would be the most direct or fastest route. Time is spent on interstate highways but much is on US- and smaller roads.

Personal time constraints required me to start and finish in Fouke, and return home immediately after the ride. I spent the night before at a hotel in Texarkana, which is a short distance away. Planned start time was 6 AM. This is when I filled the tank, but I noticed the time on the receipt was 5:54. I would be finishing at the same gas station so as long as the clock wasn't corrected while I was away the 6 minutes should come out in the wash if things went down to the wire.

Starting when I did, my research into gas stations showed that if I travelled clockwise and was slowed down for some reason I might reach Eudora after stations were closed. I did not want to run around town hoping to find an ATM or other source of dated business receipt. Therefore I rode the loop counterclockwise.

I didn't encounter anything that slowed my progress much at all. The best daylight riding was from Piggott, in the NE corner of the state, traveling west. Beautiful views, sweeping curves, elevation change and excellent tarmac for miles.

The approach into Gravette from the east was slow, as going in this way is over twisty roads plus it was dark and raining. Riding south from here passed through national forest which was fun even at night.

Knowing what I know now, and with complete scheduling freedom, I would start and finish in Gravette and travel counterclockwise. There were technical sections toward the end of my ride, which I faced while tired and at night.

I finished with 19 minutes to spare and my route followed what is shown in the web site link. Better gas station planning and/or longer fuel range should eliminate a gas stop or two. There is definitely room for improvement in my gas station procedure as well.

The ride was fun and different from the interstate highway based IBA ride. I recommend it.

Last edited:
"I finished with 19 minutes to spare"

I'm totally impressed with your ride. Twisty mountain roads at night with big critters in the forest worries me.

Info here
Fixed the link for you. https://www.ironbutt.com/themerides/raark

Congrats on completing that.

I've done several Arizona In-state SS1Ks but we don't have a RAA yet. In order to hit the accessible corners it would be a 30 hour ride and 1700+ miles, and that includes riding the 91 mile Devil's Highway in which your average speed would be about 35-40 mph, as well as riding through Smuggler Central in the SW section of the state where the likelihood of running into armed coyotes is high.

Ride around AZ.png

Last edited:
Back