• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Ride, Crash, Fly, Go Home.... My Trip to Arkansas...

Before the first responders got there, Biwwy was sitting on the ground saying "Something is broken". Within minutes, he was laying down saying "Someone get my camera" :lol2:

When he dropped the bike on the water crossing, I renamed him "Water Lily" now I am thinking we should call him "Kodak Moment" That boy wants more photographs taken than America's next top model.

I am fully expecting to see his MRIs and X-rays posted in the next couple of days.

I always wanted to ride in a helychopter......but not with all that medical gear hanging around. Someone could get hurt in there.

You get the patch.

Heal soon.

Attachments

• 5e_1.jpg
    5e_1.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 181
Just a little added info on the gear I was wearing during the crash...

Jacket was a Cortech Intake mesh jacket, pants were Fieldsheer 4 season mesh pants, gloves were Cycle Gear's $20 mesh gloves, boots were old school Doc Martens, and my helmet was a Scorpion EXO-400.

All the gear is still in great shape and can still be worn again, minus the helmet. Other than that, you really can't even tell it was in a crash. I have one dime size piece of road rash on my shoulder an that's it. So bottom line, this gear did much, much more than I ever expected it to do.

Jacket was a Cortech Intake mesh jacket, pants were Fieldsheer 4 season mesh pants, gloves were Cycle Gear's $20 mesh gloves, boots were old school Doc Martens, and my helmet was a Scorpion EXO-400.
I was wondering how much the gear you wore reduced the potential damage. Glad to hear that it served its function in protecting you, and that it is still usable to boot.
Just curious; how much damage did the helmet sustain? I'm sure glad it protected your head.

I saw a couple cruiser riders on Byway 7 with no helmet and I just shook my head.

The helmet took a pretty good whack to the chin bar. I'm just really glad that I don't wear flip up helmets anymore. I don't think they could've stood up to that impact.

The helmet took a pretty good whack to the chin bar. I'm just really glad that I don't wear flip up helmets anymore. I don't think they could've stood up to that impact.

I agree!

I knew a scooter rider who took a bad wipe last year. He was wearing a flip-up helmet. The crash removed the flip-up lid (it works on hinges) and he suffered facial lacerations. Of course, it would have been worse without one but I think full-face is the only way to go. I saw a British study that looked at motorycycle head injuries and about 40 percent were in the region covered by the flip-up zone. I want something rigid there that ain't gonna snap off on impact. Some people say the flip-up helps when eating or drinking while riding...it is just not worth the benefit.

I am glad you are recovering well!

Red

I've been wondering about that.
Again, I am SO glad you didn't sustain any more injuries than you did, not that it reduces your pain any :)

So it seems the Whee has the distinction of being the only V-strom in our group that didn't have narcolepsy (but came close twice). :sun:

This proves it. Arkansas hates TWT.

Mmm-hmm. I vote no more organized TWT rides in Arkansas until further notice.

Heal quickly, Bill.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sheesh, I barely got back into town and this thread's already 3 pages!

I am intrested in how you fell over on a straight section of road!:doh: Do those Vee Stroms just keel over and lay down or do you have to do something special?:lol2:

Not to change the subject from the injury itself... but what happened to cause the accident?

The spot where Bill landed is on the straight, but the crash started coming out of the corner. There was a patch of gravel that loosened up his rear tire and started a fishtail. From my perspective it looked like he was riding a bucking bull!:eek2: I think he came really close to 8 seconds. ;) I really thought he was going to pull it out, but then the rear tire dropped off the road. When it came back up onto the road, the tire caught on the edge and the bike spit him off over the high side.

[rant]
Funny thing about the trailers. Yes, there were trucks and trailers back at the hotel, but nobody in the group was willing to cut their day short to head back to ES to get one. My wife was there in her dad's pickup, but I was unable to reach her (no signal I guess). I finally did reach her late that afternoon and when she got back in to town, Bill, Keith and I made arrangements to go get Bill's bike with the pickup. We had to wait a while to get the keys for the bike and lock from Bill, and so it was pretty late when we got started. We didn't get back to the hotel until almost 2:00am. Bottom line is the trip into the hills in the middle of the night could have been avoided if someone had stepped up and headed back to the hotel right after the crash. :whatever:
[/rant]

Bill, I am so glad you are OK, and I was honored to help you out in any way I could. I'm just sorry it took so long to get it all together and that you had to worry about it.

Later I'll post up the pics that Don took. (his handle is shaft drive six, but I like to call him Blue Wolf)

I agree!

I knew a scooter rider who took a bad wipe last year. He was wearing a flip-up helmet. The crash removed the flip-up lid (it works on hinges) and he suffered facial lacerations. Of course, it would have been worse without one but I think full-face is the only way to go. I saw a British study that looked at motorycycle head injuries and about 40 percent were in the region covered by the flip-up zone. I want something rigid there that ain't gonna snap off on impact. Some people say the flip-up helps when eating or drinking while riding...it is just not worth the benefit.

Red

Did he have it flipped up while he was riding? That is a no-no.

I flip mine up at lights and sometimes when I am pumping gas but if the bike is moving it is down and locked.

Here is a photo of my previous Nolan X-Lite after a pretty good get off. As you can see the face shield and flip down portion took a pretty good hit and it did not impact the integrity of the helmet -

Helmet1.jpg

[rant]
Funny thing about the trailers. Yes, there were trucks and trailers back at the hotel, but nobody in the group was willing to cut their day short to head back to ES to get one. .... Bottom line is the trip into the hills in the middle of the night could have been avoided if someone had stepped up and headed back to the hotel right after the crash. :whatever:
[/rant]

Really? I am very supprised. :scratch: With all of the self righteous bantering that goes on here I can't believe this. I am very sorry to hear it.

I'll vote against that. :rider:
Me, too.
One lesson here, however, is to have in place an emergency plan. IN other words, have an agreed upon protocol for emergencies like this if someone goes down. And someone with a vehicle with a trailer or vehicle that can haul a trailer (rental could even suffice).

No need to cancel any rides. We all learn from each ride, no matter where we go, who we go with, even on our own. I learned a few valuable lessons my last solo trip and a friend back home (Bill) saved my butt, and to whom I am eternally grateful and honored to call him a friend.
He deserved a better response than what he had.

Did he have it flipped up while he was riding? That is a no-no.

Yes sir...the "door" was down and locked. The frontal impact landed the rider on his chin first. The hinged flip-up was knocked out and was several feet away from the rider lying on the ground.

Interesting that on this accident, the rider was wearing HEAVY Harley Davidson boots. The dense leather boots took a good scuffing but did a great job at protecting the ankles. I have heard that thick leather tends to be the best protector from "crash rash" but it can get very hot, especially at those pesky traffic lights. Perhaps mesh leather would be a good compromise?

It is estimated the scooter rider was going around 60 mph when the accident occurred.

still better to have a flip up lid then no lid or a open face lid. at least with the flip up, his face was protected from the initial impact and though he may of had some lacerations, his face wasn't caved in from no helmet...

(this coming from a guy who doesn't wear a helmet)

Me, too.
One lesson here, however, is to have in place an emergency plan. IN other words, have an agreed upon protocol for emergencies like this if someone goes down.

I have seen or read about quite a few mishaps while riding the past few years.

When doing group rides etc...may I suggest 1. swapping emergency contact info with all members such as next of kin contact info 2. know blood type on a master list of all riders in case of emergency tranfusion including known allergies. 3. have a good first aid kit - hint, extra large tampons are great for applying to cuts for soaking up blood. A ammonia tablet to keep a person awake until emergency crews arrive...taking a good first aid class ain't a bad idea either.

If riding solo, have an clearly marked emergency pouch with above information AND add a name to your cell phone called EMERGENCY CONTACT and it goes to the next of kin who will make a medical decision on your behalf. You may need a power of attorney form for that person in order for them to make decisions on your behalf.

Red

[rant]
Funny thing about the trailers. Yes, there were trucks and trailers back at the hotel, but nobody in the group was willing to cut their day short to head back to ES to get one. My wife was there in her dad's pickup, but I was unable to reach her (no signal I guess). I finally did reach her late that afternoon and when she got back in to town, Bill, Keith and I made arrangements to go get Bill's bike with the pickup. We had to wait a while to get the keys for the bike and lock from Bill, and so it was pretty late when we got started. We didn't get back to the hotel until almost 2:00am. Bottom line is the trip into the hills in the middle of the night could have been avoided if someone had stepped up and headed back to the hotel right after the crash. :whatever:
[/rant]

that pisses me off just reading it. Bikers are supposed to :help: Bikers no matter what the inconvenience.:thumbd: :angryfire

Yes sir...the "door" was down and locked. The frontal impact landed the rider on his chin first. The hinged flip-up was knocked out and was several feet away from the rider lying on the ground.

This is the helmet you speak of isn't? This picture is what made my mind up about flip up helmets.

broken%20helmet.jpg

Skid

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 191
[rant]
[/rant]

that pisses me off just reading it. Bikers are supposed to :help: Bikers no matter what the inconvenience.:thumbd: :angryfire

I was not there and every situatiion is different and I do not want to sound self-righteous and maybe it stems from 9 years in the Marines, but at this point the ride is over and you do what is necessary to take care of the people you are with.

Even if it looks like everything is covered, emergencies tend to breed emergencies.

But I have to ask - Did anyone suggest going back to get trailers or trucks? Did people think the bike recovery was taken care of?

Again, I was not there and my experience with my fellow TWT'ers is very different. Granted we were not on a trip and were it was just bike night, but when I went down on 290 both TWT and Star Riders were meeting at PO's and both groups offered more help and support than I could have asked or expected, so this surprises me and I have to believe there is an explanation out there somewhere.

Trailers do come in handy when riding up in AR.:doh:

Both KoCook and I had to head back to Eureka early after 75 minutes into a TWT ride a couple of years back to go get the trailer to pick up a bike. Just one of those things you should be prepared to do on a ride like this. Thankfully for us, it happened on day two, we had gotten a full day of riding in the previous day.

When doing group rides etc...may I suggest 1. swapping emergency contact info with all members such as next of kin contact info

We had all that - part of the problem was just reaching people in the middle of a ride with little to no signal. I had a decent first aid kit but once we got him lying down all we could do was wait since he needed to be immobilized.

He deserved a better response than what he had.

I know this is a sore subject for Bill and it has taken much restraint for him to bite his tongue thus far.

There were a lot of people that were willing to help but simply couldn't (we didn't have an extra rider for the bike) and there were a few that could have but were unwilling. :-( Despite the pain meds, Bill knows who is who and is thankful toeveryone that did what they could. No bashing. We're adults.

At the scene, the response was great - Bill was settled, the bike was moved, people went to both ends of the road to warn traffic, etc. Even had a nurse from another riding group check Bill out and make sure we had what we needed.

Lots of missing information exists about the "trailers". So much so that I feel the need to clarify the situation there from my perspective. As many of you know, our "mobile garage" was one of the trailers in Eureka Springs last weekend. Joyrider and I trailered up on Thursday and already had a full day of riding in on Friday.

We did not head out with the group on Saturday morning, opting to sleep in and get a relaxed start on a route I had planned the night before. As luck would have it, our path and that of the main group crossed in Jasper and we arrived at the gas station just as they were leaving. We filled up and continued on our plan route - which was up AR 123 - the same path as the main group. Of course, since we were just a few minutes behind the group we arrived at the accident scene with the paramedics in hot pursuit (they were right on JoyRiders tail). I suppose we were about 20 minutes late to the "party".

At any rate, we dismounted to see if there was anything we could do. At that time it was decided that Bill's bike would be rode back down the mountain to the town at the bottom and that arrangements would be made to get the bike back to Eureka Springs. We discussed the trailer situation and the possibility of going back to the hotel and getting ours - but the terrain in the area was too steep to get my unit up there. This was the first time I had pulled a trailer of any kind and the truck was not capable of pulling through the passes in and around Jasper. Even so, we could have rode back to the hotel, picked up our truck, and Joyce could have driven me back where I could have rode the bike back to the hotel. No two up required and the bike would have been back at the hotel before dark.

After discussing the situation in depth with several of the riders in the main group, it was determined that an alternate plan to get the bike back would be used and that our trailer was not needed, nor did Joyce and I need to return with our truck. The officers at the scene began to ask that we clear the area as we were blocking access up and down the pass, and at that point JoyRider and I continued on with our ride. But not before talking to the group and getting an assurance that there was nothing left for us to do.

Fast forward to 4:30 pm. I can not tell you the horror I felt when we got back to the hotel and found the bike was still at the bottom of the pass. Our first question when we got back was direct and to the point - Where is the bike and why isn't it here? The answers we got were pretty lame. At that point I felt extremely guilty for leaving the accident scene in the first place. It was at this point that we found out that the keys to the bike and the lock it was attached to were both with Bill. While I can understand the thought process that went in to the decision to have Bill keep the keys, in hindsight it was the wrong thing to do.

We had not been back at the hotel more than 10 or 15 minutes when a call came in to pick up Bill at the hospital. Joyce and I immediately headed to Fayetteville in our SUV to get Bill and retrieve the keys so we could rescue the bike.

By the time we picked up Bill and made it back to Eureka Springs it was almost dark. Wayne had found a ramp we could use with his truck and I had the keys to the lock and the bike. It was determined that Wayne and I would drive out to the bike (about 70 miles) and that I would either ride the bike back (plan A), or we would load the bike in Wayne's truck (plan B). As it turned out, the wild life in the area and the cold of the night made loading the bike the better option (plan B). So we did.

We loaded the bike and drove back to the KOA camp ground, arriving around 1:30 am or so. To be honest I can't recall the exact time - but it was VERY late. Joyce said we didn't get back to the hotel until around 2 am.

Having said all of this, it is quite easy to arm chair quarterback the situation and find areas of fault. After all, hindsight is always 20/20. I know this, I would never in a million years leave a situation again such as we experienced this weekend - no matter what had been decided at the scene. I should have stayed there until the bike was on someone's trailer or being rode back to the hotel. I'll take a share of the blame for that.

My suggestion at this point is that we analyze the situation, find out where we could have done better, and incorporate our findings into future ride plans. This can still be a positive leaning experience for the group as a whole.

My suggestions:
1) Assign a group ride leader.
2) Have a planned route.
3) Assign a sweep.
4) Have emergency contact info for all riders in the group.
5) Determine the "pace" of the ride before the group leaves.
6) Have a predetermined plan for bike rescue if a rider encounters trouble.
7) Have a second "in command" in case the rider leader is disabled.
8) Have a first aid kit available on one of the bikes.
9) Verify at least one person has a working cell phone.
10) Leave no rider or bike behind.

I'm sure others will have additional suggestions. Some of these suggestions were already done, but we need a check list to make sure nothing is missed on future rides. Safety of the group - both the bikes and each and every individual rider - needs to be paramount. It's got to trump having fun for the day. I know I'd like to feel my "stuff" was taken care of in a similar situation.

Lots of missing information exists about the "trailers". So much so that I feel the need to clarify the situation there from my perspective. As many of you know, our "mobile garage" was one of the trailers in Eureka Springs last weekend. Joyrider and I trailered up on Thursday and already had a full day of riding in on Friday.

Just an idea but there is a product called Trailer in a Bag. Basically like the name says, it is a full fledged bike trailer that fits into a small bag. If needed, it can be taken along on the bike and any car along the way with a 1 1/2 inch ball hitch can tow the bike to a desired location.

Red

6) Have a predetermined plan for bike rescue if a rider encounters trouble.
9) Verify at least one person has a working cell phone.
I was not with the group that day; I chose to strike out on my own ride. But I can vouch that Bill and the others did have all points covered except for the two above during our ride up to ES. I'm sure one of our party had a working cell phone at all locations, but we didn't verify whom that was. I discovered I had NO signal on mine (even roaming didn't work). I give Bill and the others much credit for how organized the trip up was, considering eleven bikes and twelve riders.

This has also made me think seriously about my own riding trips since I almost always ride alone. This was my first large group ride and first ride with any other rider(s) long distance.

This trip offered many lessons for me. And I think others as well.
And there's nothing wrong with hindsight. It informs and reinforces.
Many people don't learn.

Back