• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Ride Report: Mexico 1600 Mile Loop

copb8

Most Ignored
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Bart
Last Name
Nale
I posted this to my facebook account, which some of you already saw, but thought I'd share it here as well

Thanks @JT and @Mextrekadv for a lot of excellent advise and GPS tracks.

Got back last week from an 11 day dual sport adventure into Mexico with two good friends, Mark Peterson and Jason Babb. All three of us were on KTM 690 Enduro R dual-sport motorcycles. In my opinion, the perfect tool for this job.

We made several stops that crossed the northern plains and then spent a good deal of time in the mountain areas of the states of Queretaro, Guanajuato and San Luis Potosi. We stayed in the towns of Linares, Xilitla, Jalpan de Serra, San Miguel de Allende and Galeana. We covered just under 1,600 miles on the bikes, not including trucking the bikes to and from the border in Texas.

The weather was perfect for the entire time and we returned without injury, kidnapping, robbery or murder. Success! That said, we didn't escape some adventure in our adventure. We had one bike have a significant failure that required a deviation in our plans. This entailed Jason Babb taking a slow ride from Jalpan to SMdA in an old pick-up with his disabled bike loaded in the back. Once there, we were at the mercy of FedEx and their lack of delivery time commitments to get us a critical part we needed. This kept getting pushed out to the point it was decision time. We were literally standing on the street outside the bike shop discussing how Jason was going to leave his bike and fly back when FedEx FINALLY showed up with the part! Our exceptional bike mechanic, Juan, had us up and running within an hour and we were heads-down riding into the night to get to Galeana. Next day involved a 250 mile run to the border and then an 8 hour drive home. We only ended up being half a day late getting home. The trip ended with a well-earned celebratory whiskey at Mark's warehome.

BTW, my hat is off to Jason Babb's calm approach to the challenge and possible consequences.. My reaction wouldn't have been as easy-going and definitely would've involved a lot more R-rated language. He never skipped a beat while enjoying our time waiting for the part.

Unfortunately, due to the breakdown, we didn't get as much dirt riding as had been planned but we didn't miss out a bit on the fun. We had beautiful scenic flowing roads to run and great towns to enjoy where we were the only gringos.

Here's a couple of links to the limited raw video I took. Fast forward as necessary

Ride to the Shrine:
https://youtu.be/GxuVtc4n3DM

Early morning chilly ride from Galeana to Linares
https://youtu.be/3HHnmP1iztI

And here's a wet mountain ride from my October trip
https://youtu.be/wh88pRbe0BQ

Here's a look at the track from my satellite tracker

_nc_ohc=-Bjg9wVECAcAX_iOQv1&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.jpg

_nc_ohc=w7OXdepr2KoAX-B4adN&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.jpg

_nc_ohc=4PAySYryaLMAX_cZowx&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.jpg

_nc_ohc=le_vt8VlyrYAX85nyB3&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.jpg

_nc_ohc=y62l2DxM8SMAX_G2PhL&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.jpg

_nc_ohc=u4PvINARj_QAX-MfYdD&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.jpg

_nc_ohc=hWWv98vl87UAX_4y_XQ&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.jpg

_nc_ohc=fLd5k0h9k3AAX9rlpNK&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.jpg

_nc_ohc=F_QfThF03N0AX9KCWjS&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.jpg

_nc_ohc=gj5qPFJ36-YAX-ugMSd&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.jpg

_nc_ohc=sv8yRxAxIv0AX8Ayuns&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.jpg

_nc_ohc=MHldeXIUQKYAX9ZZUuj&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.jpg

Lna0xBv9RtVqFIwElcu7-TFTHJQ&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.jpg

Bart,

1st..THANKS for posting here on TWT! I wouldn't have seen this otherwise.

2nd, I've been wondering how your trip went, glad to hear about it.

(Too bad one of those "perfect tools" let y'all down! Sorry, you know I can't let a KTM bashing opportunity pass 😆)

Back