• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

DAL/FTW: Ride to Fort Concho - Dec 7/8

misterk & I have been discussing a ride for the Friday & Saturday of Dec 7/8 to Fort Concho in San Angelo, weather dependent (I ain’t ridin in the freezin cold or rain).

https://fortconcho.com

We will meet at 9am in Thurber. Breakie at New York Hill (the only place in Thurber with real butter). After breakie, we will ride many easy dirt roads across the vast open nothingness of central Texas, arriving in San Angelo before dark. I’m sure misterk & others will wanna camp at San Angelo State Park. I will get a cabin or hotel nearby.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/san-angelo

Saturday mornin we’ll meet for breakie & then proceed to Fort Concho to take in the sights. Then maybe lunch, then twist the idiot grip & put it in highway gear to get home before dark.

Anyone comin from a different area can meet us along the way or in San Angelo on Friday night. Anyone not into riding dirt roads can skip ahead & meet us in San Angelo also.

Anyone interested?

Dahveed

Forum Supporter
Interested!

Gonna have to catch you in the road Friday though. Probably can’t leave my house until 9:00am. Where’s the lunch spot Friday? Will it have real butter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

misterk

Forum Supporter
Gonna be a good one! When we get closer I will reserve some sites at sasp once we get a head count.

Last edited:
Just so you know, and you may already, that weekend is Christmas at Old Fort Concho. It is a really cool event, and is the Forts big event for the year. I live her in San Angelo and we are proud of our Fort.
https://fortconcho.com/home/events/christmas-at-old-fort-concho/
I did not know that, but since it looks pretty cool, I’m gonna act like I did indeed know about that & planned it thataway on purpose.

Now just hopin for nice weather. I’m gonna have to see a low >40* & a high >60*.

I will say, if your gonna camp in 30* weather, I’ll ride just to see it.
Why not? If you're geared for it no problem. I just returned from 6 nights straight in the low 30's. My cooler ice from home lasted the entire week. I would rather camp in the 30's than camp in the mid 90's with humidity.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

I hate trying to sleep with sweat running down my face ! I find it easier to camp when it cold than when it freaking hot at night ! I have 3 sleeping bag from mild to -20 ratings ! ! !

misterk

Forum Supporter
I practiced my camping skills last night at black creek lake by Decatur.

86b92f800a8bf88e33ec8ff8a35d223f.jpg

And my movie watching skills, I downloaded 4 episodes of damnation on Netflix

8336932170993586d3a884bd9f8fc586.jpg

Storm blew in, lightning in back ground

6e0ae7f112633a4601cdc8ad745979b3.jpg

After the storm

94a1e04f4bdd7fe7a76edb3e5a2a5731.jpg

I think I’m ready :)

I practiced my camping skills last night at black creek lake by Decatur.
Dang dude should have given me a shout I would have joined you. I'm guessing your set up was a good one. Some of that storm was way heavy.
I even told the wife that I should have been out camping.

misterk

Forum Supporter
Dang dude should have given me a shout I would have joined you. I'm guessing your set up was a good one. Some of that storm was way heavy.

I even told the wife that I should have been out camping.

Hey Gordo, it was a last minute decision. I will post up next time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've ridden in the rain and snow, but never actually left the house while its doing those things...
I try not to, unless it is a scheduled motorcycle vacation. Then I just have to suck it up, put on the appropriate gear and ride ! ! ! :rider:
This ain't one of those trips !

Last edited:

Obdewla_X

Forum Supporter
I’m throwin in the towel.

Let’s re-schedule for Spring.
:giveup: I'm out... would be a fun trip I think but not weather wise. Rain, cold, wind chill don't add much to the fun factor.

Maybe I'll meet some of you guys at the Camping and Adventure Touring show on the 15th.