• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

DAL/FTW: Ride to Shoot Hogs - Jan 26/27

What do we need to bring?

I’ll have drinks & vittles for everyone. BYOB. A few drinks after the hunt is fine.

Bunk beds have sheets & pillows, but y’all may wanna bring your own towels, blankets & maybe sleeping bag.

You will wanna bring snacks/drinks for the stand.

As I mentioned, if you have NV, thermals, or even a good flashlight, you can stay in the stand overnight. Most are big enough to lay down in. Overnight hunting is best done in pairs.

Last edited:
Southtex should be all over this. He likes to eat the bigguns.

I'm a leave em lay kinda guy.

On avg how many yards are we talking about? I cut my .300blk off at 150yds and .308 picks up from there. NV is a go.

On avg how many yards are we talking about? I cut my .300blk off at 150yds and .308 picks up from there. NV is a go.

I have a few stands where shots are ~100 yds. More are 150-200. I’d personally go .308 were it me. But many hunters would bring both rifles & use the appropriate 1 for the shot presented.

Or did you mean the naked lady thing?

That is a great story to tell around the campfire.
I believe it was about this time last year IIRC.

Or did you mean the naked lady thing?

That is a great story to tell around the campfire.
I believe it was about this time last year IIRC.
Naked lady thing.

I dont care what folks do when I can't see

I would love to come, but my off days are Sun/Mon. Have a .308 and .44mag bolt actions. Don’t know how far my 310grain 44mag bear loads shoot from a rifle, but 180grain with 18grains blue dot good for 100-125 yards.

20180219_110650-L.jpg

(Image source location)

Some local restaurants pay top $$$ for fresh feral hog. Don't forget proper field dressing procedures.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will probably attend. Plan on using my 7MM-08 Lone Eagle. Fun gun to shoot. Presently using IMR 3031 with 37.5 grains and a Hornady SSP 120 grain bullet. Bushnell Trophy Handgun scope. 2X - 6X. Nice setup.

Generous invitation for TWT folks. I’d love to participate, but just booked plans to go ride dirt bikes in Utah that weekend. I wish y’all a safe hunt & productive harvest. If it goes well and you opt to repeat the event, I’d come up from central TX with a few hog guns to share with others. Happy new year & happy hunting!

Sure wish I could join y'all on this. I am still wanting revenge on the one that got away and almost killed me. I need a different weapon though as the .223 is all I have but I agree that the bigger the better.
Thanks for the generous offer though.

I would LOVE to do this, however this schedule does NOT fit in with mine so I'll have to miss this one. Be safe out and and maybe the next time will be a better fit. Thanks for doing this!

On my calendar. Sounds fun. Thx for hosting.

Probably bring the bolt 30-06. It's overkill but my lever 30/30 is my other option that is larger than .223 and it's just iron sights so probably not too good for 100+ yards. I could add a scope to the 30/30 I guess.

Anyway...I've got some time to figure it out which to bring and how to put it on the bike.

Thx again for hosting.

Sounds like you folks are gona have a ball. What's the situation on the place with the hogs? How would you rank it . Low ,medium, great, extreme?

What is the ideal hog gun? 300 blackout?

308 ... knock down power at 150-200 yds.
Ammo is plentiful and reasonable.

300BLK begins to run out of steam at about 125 yds.
The good stuff is kinda pricey.

I have night vision of 300BLK because site is limited to about 100yds.
Let me add ...
recoil is light which is easy on the electronics.
And by the nature of my NV gear, light recoil makes it easier to re-acquire targets.

I use a Remington 700 BDL in 308 with a custom wood stock for deer.
Blackrain AR10 for pigs ...

Leupold V-XR glass on both.

YVMV

Last edited:
Back