• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

DAL/FTW: Ride to Shoot Hogs - Jan 26/27

We’ve killed between 90-100 since Nov 1.

Some sounders have about 30-40 hogs in them. Most about 15-20. Sounders are usually made up sows & younger hogs. Adolescent boars run in groups of 3-4, & big mature boars generally run alone. They weigh up to 300lbs pretty easy.

The number 1 trick is to wait til they bunch up. Thataway you can’t miss hitting something, & sometimes 2 in 1 shot.

It’s usually a 50/50 chance of hogs showing up at every feeder.

Mitch is absolutely correct in his caliber post. Except for the last part.......

1546488938210.jpeg

What is the ideal hog gun? 300 blackout?

Really, 2-3 rifles are needed.

The Ideal rifle for hogs that covers most bases is a .308 AR-10. They are cheap right now, parts & options are ridiculously abundant.

Browning makes a new BAR stalker model that is made for hog hunting in .308 also. It’s super nice, & pricey!

A good bolt action .308 or .30/06 is plenty good.

.300 Blackout is great for suppressed firing. If you can set up under 100 yds, it can be deadly.

.300 Blackout is great for suppressed firing. If you can set up under 100 yds, it can be deadly.

Last I heard the wait time for a suppressor stamp was 14 months. And that was 6-8 months ago. I suspect the wait is even longer now. I should probably add a nice modern sporting rifle chambered in .308 Win to my collection in the near future. While they are cheap and available.

Last edited:
Last I heard the wait time for a suppressor stamp was 14 months. And that was 6-8 months ago. I suspect the wait is even longer now. I should probably add a nice modern sporting rifle chambered in .308 Win to my collection in the near future. While they are cheap and available.

Yes, the wait time for NFA items is extended, inefficient, arbitrary, & asinine. No need to wait any at all, it should all be OTC. It’s complete BS to have to wait.

Right now is the “salad days” for the AR-10 / AR-15 platforms. I don’t see how they could ever get any cheaper. Check out Palmetto State Armory for parts, ammo, & accessories.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/

Having them chained and tethered doesn't seem fair.
At least put them on a zip line or something.
Yeah, if they can't run far why can't I use a 22lr?? [emoji23]

Still open? My boy and I would like to make it. He's the gun nut, but he rides an adventure bike, a Honda RC51.

Hmmmm, my Wife (also on TWT but doesn't post much) has never been on a hunt and has been wanting to do one. Let me see what she thinks and we might be in, but if so we would tent camp. I've got a nice little Seekins .308 SP-10 that would be dandy for this. Then for the short game, I could bring my 300BLK SBR that is suppressed in case they are closer.

Back