• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

DAL/FTW: Ride to Shoot Hogs - Jan 26/27

We’ve killed between 90-100 since Nov 1.

Some sounders have about 30-40 hogs in them. Most about 15-20. Sounders are usually made up sows & younger hogs. Adolescent boars run in groups of 3-4, & big mature boars generally run alone. They weigh up to 300lbs pretty easy.

The number 1 trick is to wait til they bunch up. Thataway you can’t miss hitting something, & sometimes 2 in 1 shot.

It’s usually a 50/50 chance of hogs showing up at every feeder.

Mitch is absolutely correct in his caliber post. Except for the last part.......

What is the ideal hog gun? 300 blackout?
Really, 2-3 rifles are needed.

The Ideal rifle for hogs that covers most bases is a .308 AR-10. They are cheap right now, parts & options are ridiculously abundant.

Browning makes a new BAR stalker model that is made for hog hunting in .308 also. It’s super nice, & pricey!

A good bolt action .308 or .30/06 is plenty good.

.300 Blackout is great for suppressed firing. If you can set up under 100 yds, it can be deadly.

Dahveed

Forum Supporter
.300 Blackout is great for suppressed firing. If you can set up under 100 yds, it can be deadly.

Last I heard the wait time for a suppressor stamp was 14 months. And that was 6-8 months ago. I suspect the wait is even longer now. I should probably add a nice modern sporting rifle chambered in .308 Win to my collection in the near future. While they are cheap and available.

Last edited:
Last I heard the wait time for a suppressor stamp was 14 months. And that was 6-8 months ago. I suspect the wait is even longer now. I should probably add a nice modern sporting rifle chambered in .308 Win to my collection in the near future. While they are cheap and available.
Yes, the wait time for NFA items is extended, inefficient, arbitrary, & asinine. No need to wait any at all, it should all be OTC. It’s complete BS to have to wait.

Right now is the “salad days” for the AR-10 / AR-15 platforms. I don’t see how they could ever get any cheaper. Check out Palmetto State Armory for parts, ammo, & accessories.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/

First Name
Ed
Last Name
Baker
Still open? My boy and I would like to make it. He's the gun nut, but he rides an adventure bike, a Honda RC51.

First Name
Bill
Hmmmm, my Wife (also on TWT but doesn't post much) has never been on a hunt and has been wanting to do one. Let me see what she thinks and we might be in, but if so we would tent camp. I've got a nice little Seekins .308 SP-10 that would be dandy for this. Then for the short game, I could bring my 300BLK SBR that is suppressed in case they are closer.

This looks like it will be so much fun. Too bad I don't have appropriate hardware. The M96 Mauser would be too long to manuever in a blind. :)
Looks like a .30cal something build in my future!
Happy hunting.

Interesting and curious. Any room for a noob? I'm not a noob to firearms and I did manage to go shooting with DFW_Warrior and he did not come home with any extra holes, despite some questionable actions by another class at the range. I am a noob to hunting though and have literally nothing in the form of equipment or knowledge. Also, what kind of bike would be necessary, are the roads suitable for a road bike, or should it be adv/ds?

Interesting and curious. Any room for a noob? I'm not a noob to firearms and I did manage to go shooting with DFW_Warrior and he did not come home with any extra holes, despite some questionable actions by another class at the range. I am a noob to hunting though and have literally nothing in the form of equipment or knowledge. Also, what kind of bike would be necessary, are the roads suitable for a road bike, or should it be adv/ds?
Yes there’s still room.

Any bike is fine, we will take Polaris from camp to stands.

It’s better when someone admits they know nothing but are eager to learn. I can make that work.

You'll need a hunting license and safety course before the hunt. Even for pests like pigs.

You'll need a hunting license and safety course before the hunt. Even for pests like pigs.
I had thought about that, but then I read this from here -> https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outdoor-annual/licenses/hunting-licenses-and-permits
A hunting license is required of any person (resident or nonresident), of any age, to hunt any animal, bird, frog or turtle in this state, EXCEPT the following:
  • depredating feral hogs, if a landowner (resident or non- resident) or landowner’s agent or lessee is taking feral hogs causing depredation on the landowner’s land.
How does this apply here?

I had thought about that, but then I read this from here -> https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outdoor-annual/licenses/hunting-licenses-and-permits

How does this apply here?
Good question.

As I understand it, if your shooting hogs from a vehicle (on private property) or walking around, that could be considered “depredating” hogs. If you see a Game Warden, make sure & say the word “depredating”. If you shoot them from a stand over a feeder, you are hunting & need a license.

You can get an official deferment to the Youth Safety Education (its a total money grab) for 1 year.

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Friday
Good question.

As I understand it, if your shooting hogs from a vehicle (on private property) or walking around, that could be considered “depredating” hogs. If you see a Game Warden, make sure & say the word “depredating”. If you shoot them from a stand over a feeder, you are hunting & need a license.

You can get an official deferment to the Youth Safety Education (its a total money grab) for 1 year.
Good points, thanks for the clarification.

Me: No sir, we are dee pree dating them.
Him: What?
Me: deh preh dahting them?
Me: dee preh dating them?
HIm: Son, I'm going to give you one more try...

Dahveed

Forum Supporter

Just get the license. Isn’t the double throw-down license like $70 for a year (hunting and fishing). It’s about what you’ll owe your lawyer for the first 10 minutes of their time explaining to the court why you didn’t need a license to pre date them hogs 🐷. Plus the funds are supposed to go to wildlife conservation. Whether any money does is for another thread.

First Name
Bill
Just get the license. Isn’t the double throw-down license like $70 for a year (hunting and fishing). It’s about what you’ll owe your lawyer for the first 10 minutes of their time explaining to the court why you didn’t need a license to pre date them hogs 🐷. Plus the funds are supposed to go to wildlife conservation. Whether any money does is for another thread.
Couldn't agree more. It is very cheap insurance to just have it and then there are no questions at all.

Traxx

Inactive Member
Forum Supporter

Yer dating who?

Traxx

Inactive Member
Forum Supporter
Sooooo, looking at the RSVP. I can see 12 in one line and 1 in another. Do I need to RSVP or has that been done or Que?

Tagged for possible interest.

Also a noob. Only ever hunted squirrel and burglars. But I have had a rifle in my hand since birth and can circumcize a gnat with a 308... and not put extra holes in people.

Have a can and a decent 2nd gen nv scope. Probably bring a bolt savage 308 and a ptr91 if I can make it.

(Jk about the gnat... they don't believe in circumcision :lol2:)

Last edited:

mitchntx

Follower of Rev. Doug
I had a 150lb wounded pig take 5 rounds of 45ACP to the skull at about 5 yards before giving it up.
Back was broke and he'd wedged himself under a cedar trunk.

After that, I use a Smith Model 29 revolver. Nothing says Howdy like a 44 magnum.
While at the lease, I have a Rossi Model 92 in 44Mag that stays in the truck

Ok, we are 1 week out. Still have a little room for a few hunters.

We will have time Sat after lunch before hunting to check zero on rifles.

I’ll need to know who wants to stay in stands & hunt overnight.

First Name
Ed
Last Name
Baker
Ok, we are 1 week out. Still have a little room for a few hunters.

We will have time Sat after lunch before hunting to check zero on rifles.

I’ll need to know who wants to stay in stands & hunt overnight.
Sam and I are in. I will need for sight my rifle in if I intend to more that scare me.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk