• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Riders on the Storm - TAR 2010

Re: Mini TAR - The Incredible 1 Day TAR

Well, I guess I should go ahead and get this over. :-( My TAR lasted 1 day because my Italian Supermodel TE610 crapped out on me 200 miles into the first day. :doh: Instead of having the most fun ever riding Bullhead, Cedar Creek and White Mountain roads on Saturday I was in a pickup truck hauling the bike to the Husky dealer in Austin to see if she can be resuscitated. Dang it, I should have kept the KLR. :giveup:

So does this mean that once in for all we have determined that the TE610 is NOT the new KLR?:lol2:

Olebuddy and I had a great time at the TAR. I think we were rained on maybe once, could have been more :trust:.

Thanks to all the guys that put this on and let us ride with you.

The roads and water crossings were not boring, the food good, and the beer was cold!
I took some pictures but my camera crapped out.

Four days and 1400 miles on a stock xchallenge seat will make you glad to be home!

Let's do it again! :eat::rider::eat::rider::eat::yawn:

So does this mean that once in for all we have determined that the TE610 is NOT the new KLR?:lol2:

No, but we may have found the TE610's version of the doohickey. :mrgreen:

I have discovered the problem with the stalling F800GS in the water crossings. My bike stalled almost immediately when I entered the water every time. Turns out there is a fuel carbon canister that vents below the canister to the ground. It allows for both draining and for sucking in air. The fix is to add a T-connector and route a 2nd line up high for bringing air in, while the original line remains for draining.

I have discovered the problem with the stalling F800GS in the water crossings. My bike stalled almost immediately when I entered the water every time. Turns out there is a fuel carbon canister that vents below the canister to the ground. It allows for both draining and for sucking in air. The fix is to add a T-connector and route a 2nd line up high for bringing air in, while the original line remains for draining.

I looked that up on web last night too and was going to send you a couple of links. Glad you found it. I think one link showed that BMW might even have a recall going to fix it, but it is something you can do yourself too.

No, but we may have found the TE610's version of the doohickey. :mrgreen:

The fix is to add a T-connector and route a 2nd line up high for bringing air in, while the original line remains for draining.

Ah, I see everybody, eventually, decides that they should have stayed with the KLR :sun:

Ah, I see everybody, eventually, decides that they should have stayed with the KLR :sun:

If you can't have a DR for the dirt and your KLR for the street ,then just keep your KLR , it will do it all .......... :rider::rofl:

"Managed to make it down to Rocksprings then the bottom let out and we high-tailed it back to Junction. Had a nice dinner with Dave, Chuck, and ? (hot dogs & beer) and they ended up leaving later that night. "

Dave, Chuck ,and ? ? was Chango

Nice riding and visitng with you.

Chango

The fix is to add a T-connector and route a 2nd line up high for bringing air in, while the original line remains for draining.

Oh, the T-mod - a matter of course on all KLRs that expect to see water crossings...it may in fact be the next KLR!

If you can't have a DR for the dirt and your KLR for the street ,then just keep your KLR , it will do it all .......... :rider::rofl:

I've picked up (barely) the KLR and I've picked up the DR. I'll take the DR any day :trust:

Very sorry to hear that the rider didn't make it. It's just terrible news.

I really enjoyed the riding out of Junction and the people were terrific. Had a very interesting ride home with Milton--experienced all the greatest roads that return to Austin. Thanks for the Texas Adventure!

Team leaders, Rusty & Calvin. Saturday morning riders meeting
842511359_sJJyQ-L.jpg

Jeff & Richard
842511295_Ap2z5-L.jpg

One of the unsung heroes of TWT rides. On this day at least, Don quietly assumed the all important, if inglorious, position of sweep. He is a solid player and I for one felt the confidence of his presence. No man left behind.
842511458_LZNGm-L.jpg

Nice stiching
842511510_2k9XH-L.jpg

842511419_SWXQS-L.jpg

Just wanted to send thanks to Richard & Rusty for their time and effort into putting this event together. Unfortunatley or fortunatley due to work I was not able to arrive until Friday evening. Missed the water sports events Thursday, but had a GREAT 248 mile rain free ride Saturday with Boo from League City and Dana from Comfort. Hope you'll continue to make this an annual event!

Attachments

• DSCI1981.jpg
    DSCI1981.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 206
  • DSCI1982.jpg
    DSCI1982.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 223
Saturday started out quite cold. At a rest stop north of Rocksprings, most of us took the oportunity to bundled up a little more.
842511588_QzWfv-L.jpg

This was my very first attendance at the TAR in Junction event. I cringed to see our "group" would start out with 13 riders.
842511652_AYCqF-L.jpg

Hackberry road. It didn't take long for everyone to find his niche in the group. I was the first to fall, dang it.
842511735_HcWdP-L.jpg

842511823_MtKFi-L.jpg

842511910_Jhrgv-L.jpg

Now this is more like it. The sun came out. Hwy 335, between Hackberry road and Bull Head Road
842512012_PpEXC-L.jpg

Don
842512089_uZMTe-L.jpg

Just wanted to send thanks to Richard & Rusty for their time and effort into putting this event together. Unfortunatley or fortunatley due to work I was not able to arrive until Friday evening. Missed the water sports events Thursday, but had a GREAT 248 mile rain free ride Saturday with Boo from League City and Dana from Comfort. Hope you'll continue to make this an annual event!
Boo!!! :wave:

I thought Boo was from Galveston.

MEEEL tone - League City is about 20 miles north of Galveston. Should have said Galveston, not many people familiar with League City.

Oops. I was the first to go down on Saturday, slipping in the slop. It was slo-mo all the way down.
842512169_dz2SH-L.jpg

Stingray Scott
842512233_UVysW-L.jpg

Blue skies & sunshine over Hwy 335
842512308_iTWkw-L.jpg

Bull Head road
842512370_ppNHZ-L.jpg

The dirt turns to asphalt at 3235
842512419_U82Wk-L.jpg

842512483_9wXBd-L.jpg
artsy shot

Amazing Israel clowning on his amazing TransAlp.
Our group splits up, some head for Leakey.

842512559_NCbBZ-L.jpg

Jeff leads the rest of us to the Kent Creek Road loop.
842512675_faXpx-L.jpg

842512794_eKW7H-L.jpg

842512905_TAQhn-L.jpg
Israel

Kent Creek
842513008_L9Tc6-L.jpg

Approaching Riding River Ranch on Kent Creek Road
842513077_MbWhN-L.jpg

Leader of the pack. Calvin, aka Multisurface Rider
842513153_FxHRR-L.jpg

Solorider Israel & Stingray Scott at Mama Chloe's
842510330_tHfaS-L.jpg

After lunch in Leakey, we rode 337 to Camp Wood, then north on 55 to Barksdale. Left on Spring Creek Road (210) a short way, right on 24 to Cedar Creek Road (208).
Then came the river crossings.

842510402_qjUSt-L.jpg

One after another
842510477_iR8xk-L.jpg

842510561_VSqPX-L.jpg

Steve took in a little water, Israel helps with octane additive from his box of stuff.
842510646_UBKMY-L.jpg

842510757_YiCRT-L.jpg

842510817_3f8Fa-L.jpg

Dilapidated old house
842510943_3HTNh-L.jpg

Inside
842511006_jw7r6-L.jpg

Calvin, Scott & Israel
842511083_fnoLq-L.jpg

The cream of the crop
842511163_ZeTEJ-L.jpg

From here we beat in back thru many bump gates (my first bump gates) to Hwy 55, as a cold front pushed through. I don't think we did White Mountain Road. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Hwy 55 north towards Rocksprings, Joe demos his side-saddle riding technique.
Gas in Rocksprings, getting late in the day.

We hightailed it up to Junction in time to for the group dinner at 7:30. It was a tight formation of some 6 riders threading the 46 miles thru the hills on 377, with me bringing up the rear. My speedometer was reading 80mph.

Back