• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Riding a vintage?

SL350

Forum Supporter
Definitions of vintage range from anywhere from 10 years to the turn of the 20th Century. I have a hard time thinking any Ninja is "vintage" but dang if it was not first produced over 20 years ago.

What are riding? Are you interested in a group ride? Where?

Running and ready:
1975 CT90 K6
1971 SL350 K1
1971 SL350 K1 - no plates yet but running

In progress:
(2) 1971 SL350 K1 (probably get one from 2).

I want to ride something like parts of the East Texas 450 but really don't want to do big roads like US59. Tried to do Harvest Festival but was DQ'd because of too many cc's (325) on the SL350.

Vintage means nothing without a year attached and is no way an indicator of antique.
...my new bike is vintage 2011
...the wine was vintage 1999
...the jewelry was vintage '80's

_

SL350

Forum Supporter
VJMC defines it as 15 years. I think vintage means look and style too. The Kawasaki w650 comes to mind and there are a couple of new Triumphs that look pretty close also.

focus frenzy

txdmv.gov says
You may apply for Antique license plates for your motor vehicle if it is at least 25 years old and a collector's item.
or if you have a 1987 KLR and don't qualify for that plate.:lol2:

You may apply for Classic license plates for your vehicle if it is 25 or more years old.

I have a vintage Honda thanks to SL350. :lol2:

I've seen your requests for rides (Lake Erie type ride) etc. I'm thinking you might have better luck looking for urban rides. Since my bike has the same size engine as my lawnmower and SL350 is riding a bike with half that displacement, a ride around the city sounds like the deal to me.

SL350

Forum Supporter
I have a vintage Honda thanks to SL350. :lol2:

I've seen your requests for rides (Lake Erie type ride) etc. I'm thinking you might have better luck looking for urban rides. Since my bike has the same size engine as my lawnmower and SL350 is riding a bike with half that displacement, a ride around the city sounds like the deal to me.
Rick, I just don't like riding around the city, especially DFW. Riding around small town Texas, that I agree with. But I also want to do BBR like we talked and you know I want to do a Padre fishing ride.

At the back of the pack and out of the dust
My vintage bikes include '71 Triumph TR6R, '71 BSA Project and a Yamaha RD400 Daytona project. Vintage projects in the garage now include a '41 Indian 741 (the project that cannot be finished) and a '54 Harley Davidson KH (the project that cannot be started because of the Indian that can't be finished.)

There is no part of the ET450 that cannot be ridden on an SL350, except maybe 9 mile road. Some of the logging roads north of Carmona are pretty bad and there is lots of sand, but it's not that bad. If you want GPS tracks let me know.

Here's my "new" dirt bike...mostly a '71 Hodaka Ace 100...

6896205224_f13e2ea6b6.jpg

Here's my "old" bike, a '62 Honda CB77...acquired in '63 when avatar pic was taken...this one is from last year courtesy m38a1...

5837031406_2a6559e57b.jpg

Here's my "vintage" Honda 1975 CB400F. Bought last year after sitting in storage in Arkansas for 20 years. Lots of work over the winter and now it's ready to play.

Attachments

Right, photos or it doesn't happen, right? :sun:

First couple are my '85 Kawasaki, now collecting dust and cobwebs in a back corner of my garage, though I had fun with her all over New York (even some snow, which is especially fun when your clutch cable snaps! :eek2:) and over to Ohio. She held up good for some commuting down here, but eventually got abandoned by me after a couple things went wrong. By the time I got around to looking at her again, there was enough wrong, and I was busy enough, I just let her sit.

101_3953.png

Check out my amazing packing skillz! The first one was the first time I went farther than about 20 miles from my parents, house. My school was exactly 200 miles away, and I made it something like 130 of those miles before having to put her in a truck, and park her behind a friend's garage for a week. Turns out crappy paper stand-ins for proper foam air filters, and bad coils don't like driving rain. :lol2:

luggage.jpg

oil_trip.jpg

This is my '79 Suziki GS850G, which still looks like this, except for a few more parts pulled off, and some more cobwebs on her. :doh: (HuskyVarmit, I promise I'll get her running again!!!)

100_4847.jpg

TLRam1

Forum Supporter
I have a Suzuki GT380, GT750 & T500, all in my signature line. I wouldn't want to take them down any dirt roads though.

SL350

Forum Supporter
I think it is great to look at the diversity of bikes already posted to this thread: On and off road, small and large, cruiser and standard, Jap, Brit, Austrian and American, 2 and 4 stroke.

I have a '83 GL1100A and a '85 GL1200A. Both qualify for antique plates, but I have a hard time calling them vintage.
Something about nothing from the 80s should be considered classic :nono:

My "newest" bike is a 1998 and old bike is a 1977 both Harley's.

Road_thing, you know about Shovelhead.US? Forum all about shovelheads and other older Harley's

Tom

TWTim

Forum Supporter
What is the deal with antique tags? You still pay registration every year, don't you? How much does this save?
You only pay registration every five years and you are exempt from safety inspections.

Of course, with those tags you're not supposed to use the vehicle in question as a daily rider, either. That's why every time I'm on my KZ, it's 'officially' a "maintenance test ride", which is provided for in the statutes.

:thumb:

TWTim

Forum Supporter
FYI:

Sec. 504.502. CERTAIN EXHIBITION VEHICLES; OFFENSE. (a) The department shall issue specialty license plates for a passenger car, truck, motorcycle, or former military vehicle that:

(1) is at least 25 years old, if the vehicle is a passenger car, truck, or motorcycle;

(2) is a collector's item;

(3) is used exclusively for exhibitions, club activities, parades, and other functions of public interest and is not used for regular transportation; and

(4) does not carry advertising.

(b) The license plates must include the words "Antique Auto," "Antique Truck," "Antique Motorcycle," or "Military Vehicle," as appropriate.

(c) A person eligible for the license plates may instead use license plates issued by this state in the same year as the model year of the vehicle and approved by the department, provided that a passenger car must bear passenger car or truck license plates and a truck must bear passenger car or truck license plates. The department may require attachment of a registration insignia to the license plate in a manner that does not affect the display of information originally on the license plate.

(d) License plates issued or approved under this section expire on the fifth anniversary of the date of issuance or approval.

(e) The fee for issuance or approval of license plates under this section is:

(1) $10 for each year or portion of a year remaining in the five-year registration period if the vehicle was manufactured in 1921 or later; or

(2) $8 for each year or portion of a year remaining in the five-year registration period if the vehicle was manufactured before 1921.

SL350

Forum Supporter
In an effort to get one of my sl350s back on the road for some DS work, I am going to do the Vermont registration since the title is long lost. If that works I will report back here. I know it works for little rides like the ct90 but they also register big bikes that are over a certain age.

I wonder how many old rides are left in the barn for title issues?

Can I join the ride if my 1963 Puch and the frame for my 1970 CB750 are in the bed of my truck?

I think it is great to look at the diversity of bikes already posted to this thread: On and off road, small and large, cruiser and standard, Jap, Brit, Austrian and American, 2 and 4 stroke.
Also got one of these:
Madura2.jpg

That one is definitely a rare one, Suzuki only made 4000 or so.

ITS. International Title Service. They will send You a legal title for $150, then You can tag/inspect and ride legally. I have not used them, but a Friend of Mine is a collector, and He has titled many old bikes that way.

In an effort to get one of my sl350s back on the road for some DS work, I am going to do the Vermont registration since the title is long lost. If that works I will report back here. I know it works for little rides like the ct90 but they also register big bikes that are over a certain age.

I wonder how many old rides are left in the barn for title issues?
I had mine done through a mob in Arizona, I think it was around $100 and too 2 weeks. Then 20 minutes at the DMV and my 1963 Puch (ignore the signature line) is in my name.

Not riding it yet but here's my 1975 CL360 project. All original, maybe the original air in the tires.

Posting with Tapatalk for iPhone.

Interesting looking 360. What is the story on the bike? Looks like it has been sitting for a long time, but not outside.

Another member here bought but never got around to doing anything with it and it's been inside the garage for the past 8 years. The tool kit still looks new. There are a few dirt dobber nests to clean up and some aged rubber but it doesn't look like it will be too hard to bring back to life, I know, I know, famous last words. I think it's going to be a fun project that I do plan to put back in as close to new as I can.

Posting with Tapatalk for iPhone.

Oh yeah, it's going to be fun. I don't care if it takes a couple or more years to do it the way I want it, I'm in no hurry to get it done.

Am I riding vintage? HECK YES!

Post photos? Okay, this might take a while.

First of all, my trustiest vintage bike, a 1975 Norton 850 Commando Interstate Mark III. I can hop on it and ride cross country, stopping only for gas-

183136443.jpg

Then there's my around-town ride, a 1967 Triumph Bonneville 650; my first restoration project from a barely-running beater (sorry I never took a "before" photo)-

183136440.jpg

Completing the classic Britbike trifecta is my 1967 BSA 441 Victor "thumper"-

183137095.jpg

I also do Japanese bikes. Like my '67 Honda CL77 305 scrambler-

402276713.jpg

...and of course my 1980 Kawasaki KZ1000, first bike I ever bought brand new (well, it had 23 miles on it from the dealer)-

183136452.jpg

I also RACE vintage with AHRMA (American Historic Racing Motorcycle Assn.); this is my scratch-built '69 Triumph Bonneville 650, bone stock except for electronic ignition and number plates-

332700865.jpg

In all, I have 36 bikes in my collection. Other than a 2000 Triumph Legend 900 triple and a 2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200, they are all older than 1983, with the oldest being a '56 Triumph Thunderbird bobber project. I think I've posted all of my collection up to my TWT photo album - TWT Album

So, yes, I'm riding vintage (most of the time).