• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Riding a vintage?

what's that pan underneath the Triumph race bike?

You've heard of the "Car-B-Que"? Well that's a "Bike-A-Bake". I was making my famous "Tunnel of Fudge" cake while sailing the high banks of Daytona.

Actually, it's a Wal-Mart Betty Crocker cake pan pressed into service as an AHRMA tech approved oil containment catch pan, as required under the rules in case of major engine blow-up; you must have a catch pan capable of containing a minimum of 2 quarts. (bsides the crankcase oil breather catch bottle)

"Tunnel of Fudge?"

..eeeww! That just sounds nasty...

I figured it was a catch pan of some sort. Sweet bikes!

I think we spoke briefly at New Ulm last monyh. I was the old guy on the red Buell.

Actually, the Tunnel of Fudge is a Bundt cake, not a pan cake. The name may sound wierd, but the cake is amazing with a hot cup of coffee.

1983 XL250R

I purchased this bike new in 1983 and am looking into restoring it to new operational condition. I continue to dual sport it and have ridden it in NC mountains, Colorado mountains/sand dunes, Florida beaches, and Minnesota snow storms.

Jim

BeachXL250RSunsetphoto-1.jpg

Is this a current picture or a 1983 picture? Also, explain the tracks in the sand.

The picture was taken last November. My son was riding the bike.

As for the tracks, we were riding up the beach toward the sunset, stopped, and turned it around so the sunset would be behind the view of the bike from the front.

Tracks look like you just appeared on the right side of the photo. The tracks just start with no lead in.

:eek2:

Inspection Sticker Day--4 bikes and a car make trips to Jiffy Lube.

Attachments

• Photo2269.jpg
    Photo2269.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 227
Only 20 years old, my recent purchase is a 1992 Honda CB750 Nighthawk. It has one siezed shock and the tires are hard as a rock (replacements ordered) but she runs great. I plan to ride her 2 up on the 3 sisters in a couple of weeks. If the parts come in and the weather cooperates.

7522424404_bda4b6605f.jpg

My newest bike is a 2000 XR650R. The others are a bit older than that.

IMG_0248.jpg

1984 RZ350L. Bought it new in '84.

pj_1.jpg

1978 Cb400T1. My no budget build.

cb400-lr-1.jpg

cb400-lr-4.jpg

1968 CL450.

cl450-c-lr.jpg

'Year of manufacture' classic plate on the CL.

cl450-d-lr.jpg

Ooooh, hmmmm let see
1986 GSXR-750 Limited very few of these have survived
3fb41c40.jpg

RZ350 ex-race bike not sure where it's going, race restoration, street restoration
shop003.jpg

Or full on late model chasis with inverted forks 17"ers far swing arm, I have two complete frame and titles, or might sell it.
DSCN1089.jpg

Agh the justified and ancient RD80 again rest? Or cafe bike? I have some super nice allow mags for it,,,
Dsc02411.jpg

SRAD

Hello to SL350 from Mesquite.

I too have a 1971 SL350. Just put new pistons and rings in it. Will be working on the paint soon. Just changed out a 30 year old trials tire on the back and now in need of a 19" front tire. Any suggestions?

Nace (Locktite) from Keller, TX

Nace, I think Dunlop makes a vintage tire set for our bikes. Check the old BMW forums cause lots of them had 3.25 X 19. I am running IRC universals in 3.50 x 19 that I got from JC Whitney but I don't think they sell them anymore.

Since I have a couple of running Sl350s I am setting one up for on-road and one for off-road even though I rarely ride either since I prefer the little ct90. I was planning on Big Bend State park but it was delayed until next year. Most likely I will use a SL350 with knobbies for that if i can find the proper sprockets. I don't know if the old (15) year old knobbies that I have will make it for a long weekend at Big Bend, if they can't I will look for some knobbies and I think those are pretty available in metric sizes that will fit.

How are you going to use your SL350?

Re: 1976 GL1000 LTD

76Wing4.jpg

John M. Lubbock, Texas

John, that is a nice looking Wing. I really like the old 4 cylinder model. Have you met Gary Welborn from Lubbock? He owns the Guzzi/Royal Enfield dealership there. I met him and his wife at the Harvest Classic. Good people.

The SL 350 will probably not do much serious riding. Maybe some back road breakfast runs or a weekend ride in Arkansas(trailered) I have a 400 DRZ and a KLR650 for the more serious stuff. My brother-in-law gave the bike to my son 12 or 15 years ago. I just like the bike and want to see it running and somewhat restored.

I did replace the rear tire with a Bridgestone trailwing duel sport tire that came off a WR250.It was free. Still plenty of life left in it.

I replaced the front sprocket with a 15 tooth.

Will check out the Dunlop front tire.

Thanks.

Locktite

The SL 350 will probably not do much serious riding. Maybe some back road breakfast runs or a weekend ride in Arkansas(trailered) I have a 400 DRZ and a KLR650 for the more serious stuff. My brother-in-law gave the bike to my son 12 or 15 years ago. I just like the bike and want to see it running and somewhat restored.

I did replace the rear tire with a Bridgestone trailwing duel sport tire that came off a WR250.It was free. Still plenty of life left in it.

I replaced the front sprocket with a 15 tooth.

Will check out the Dunlop front tire.

Thanks.

Locktite

Where did you find the 15 tooth sprocket?

I ride a 1983 BMW R65 with TX Antique plates... My "new bike" is a 1989 Honda NX250. Really love all the pics-- especially the Hodaka (I was one of their early dealers).
BTW, since both my bikes and their rider (also an antique) probably shouldn't venture too far from home, I've been doing a little research on big loops around both DFW and Houston that allow for several hours of riding without ever getting out of "rescue range".

Ooooh, hmmmm let see 1986 GSXR-750 ...RZ350 ...full on late model chasis...RD80

Nice batch of golden not-too-oldies.

AHRMA is introducing a new class next year to start to progress it's once-carved-in-stone rules regarding 1972 cust-off date, to now include 80s Superbikes!

It's really great news, even though the class will be limited at first; it means they recognize that there are MANY cool older bikes (that aren't air-cooled pushrod drum braked 50 HP relics) that should be considered "vintage" to the younger generation that grew up with them and would likely show up at the track if they were to be included.

Back