• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Riding a vintage?

I have recently entered vintage land, I achieved success last Thursday, when I had spent more on parts that I paid for the bike. Soon to be a daily driver. 1978 Yamaha SR500E.

IMG_0031.jpg

IMG_0037.jpg

IMG_0038.jpg

Beautiful bike!

I've got two vintage bikes- '81 Virago 750 with 117,xxx miles, purchased new, added a Windjammer III and a 5.3 gal. TR1 euro tank in 2008. Last trip was 7000 miles and 14 states in 2011.
Also, an '83 Virago 750 that was sitting for 17 years and 3 owners that never put it on the road. I got it up and running, but it's down for a modification. It will be reborn with a 920 engine and an 18" rear wheel and revised swing-arm and exhaust, Windjammer IV and TR1 tank. Plan is to run it up to Nova Scotia next August.
Interesting thing about the Viragos: The same backbone frame will hold a 700/750/920/1000/1100 engine.

I've got two vintage bikes- '81 Virago 750 with 117,xxx miles, purchased new, added a Windjammer III and a 5.3 gal. TR1 euro tank in 2008. Last trip was 7000 miles and 14 states in 2011.
Also, an '83 Virago 750 that was sitting for 17 years and 3 owners that never put it on the road. I got it up and running, but it's down for a modification. It will be reborn with a 920 engine and an 18" rear wheel and revised swing-arm and exhaust, Windjammer IV and TR1 tank. Plan is to run it up to Nova Scotia next August.
Interesting thing about the Viragos: The same backbone frame will hold a 700/750/920/1000/1100 engine.

Pictures?

I used to have an 82 750 and I did a lot of modifications to it. Would have kept in longer had the starter been stronger. Even with the recommended mods to the starter I still never felt comfortable with it.

On the soon-defunct Virago Owners Club site, Dr. Piston featured a letter from me about the Coils being too weak to fire during crank because the line voltage dropped to 10 Volts. I put a Harley Accel single fire coil in at 45,000volts and it corrected that. Plus, both of mine have 4-brush solid magnet starters, AGM batteries, and reground ring gears that have a better engagement. The later (after 86) bikes had a positive engagement starter that corrected the 'box-o-rocks' sound.

Pictures and a link to a ride report maybe?

Did that mean machine come from craigslist? Thought I saw one on there exactly the same color. Those were kickstart only right? Drew

Drew, I bought it from a guy I have been pestering since about 1987 to sell it to me. The bike is kick only, and has no battery currently. I whipped all the electrical issues, I am debating rebuilding the rear m/c as I have cleaned the bore out and she appears to be sealed now.

I rode her over to the home of the fella I bought her from. He is about as excited as I am over her. He rode her around and is truly happy he sold her to someone who loves her like he does.

Another pic with the shocks and forks done, she sits and rides much better now
I also have the rest of the decals coming in the mail, the side cove 500 OHC decals and the rear Yamaha decal was removed, so I found a source and they are coming!

IMG_2329.jpg

Cagiva is 1985 had great ride in foot hills yesterday!!! There is one on eBay for sell also.

Honda Z50 1971

This was a fun vintage restoration...

When I found it:

HondaZ50Before_zps1dd3bf66.jpg

Countless hours (and dollars) later :lol2:

HondaZ50After_zpsb795f11b.jpg

82 XLH Sportster. Just a blast to ride when you come to terms with it.
Geared for highway, and with Andrews "Y" cams, it doesn't get excited until about 70mph.

78 KZ 650. REALLY need spare time to finish putting it back together.
quite the barn find, except they forgot to put it IN the barn.:doh:

Attachments

• P1010433.jpg
    P1010433.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 202
  • P1010772.jpg
    P1010772.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 206
I have to add this here, now that it is licensed and inspected. No sidecovers but she is being ridden. It is going to be hard to get used to the big knobbies on the rear.

8484065678_6270cb6804.jpg

I have to add this here, now that it is licensed and inspected. No sidecovers but she is being ridden. It is going to be hard to get used to the big knobbies on the rear.

8484065678_6270cb6804.jpg

All right good color. Had rode my dads SL100 years ago good bike but not much power. It was red and black. Drew

Check out the bicycle horn used for the inspection. These bikes have a real problem with the horn switch and working replacements are $100 for a horn that no one can hear.

E-Bay has lots of cheap horn/turn/beam buttons to upgrade for maybe $15.
As to horns, a good set of dual horns that'll make a blue-hair wet their britches is under $25 at Pep Boys.

Nice Yellow Goldie, close to what they are SUPPOSED to look like; they were designed to be power cruisers, not touring bikes.

I love the original muffs, they look like old Britbike "sausage on a stick"...

lusted long for one of those (SL350) as a kid. rode a friends 125 many times, but if you had a 350.... ooooooo......

Anyone ever ridden a Goldie with the aftermarket manifold that sits a big ol' 2-barrel carb on it?

I'll pull your shoulders out of thier sockets if you aren't ready for it.

SL, glad You finally beat that SL-350 into submission. I want it back, now!
If You run Antique tags on that bike, no inspection is required. Nice to have a horn, but , really , is it going to get anybody to move over?:trust:

Back