• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Riding a vintage?

SL350

Reaction score
Definitions of vintage range from anywhere from 10 years to the turn of the 20th Century. I have a hard time thinking any Ninja is "vintage" but dang if it was not first produced over 20 years ago.

What are riding? Are you interested in a group ride? Where?

Running and ready:
1975 CT90 K6
1971 SL350 K1
1971 SL350 K1 - no plates yet but running

In progress:
(2) 1971 SL350 K1 (probably get one from 2).

I want to ride something like parts of the East Texas 450 but really don't want to do big roads like US59. Tried to do Harvest Festival but was DQ'd because of too many cc's (325) on the SL350.

Vintage means nothing without a year attached and is no way an indicator of antique.
...my new bike is vintage 2011
...the wine was vintage 1999
...the jewelry was vintage '80's

_

VJMC defines it as 15 years. I think vintage means look and style too. The Kawasaki w650 comes to mind and there are a couple of new Triumphs that look pretty close also.

txdmv.gov says
You may apply for Antique license plates for your motor vehicle if it is at least 25 years old and a collector's item.

or if you have a 1987 KLR and don't qualify for that plate.:lol2:

You may apply for Classic license plates for your vehicle if it is 25 or more years old.

I have a vintage Honda thanks to SL350. :lol2:

I've seen your requests for rides (Lake Erie type ride) etc. I'm thinking you might have better luck looking for urban rides. Since my bike has the same size engine as my lawnmower and SL350 is riding a bike with half that displacement, a ride around the city sounds like the deal to me.

1975 GT380

Attachments

• plate7.jpg
    plate7.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 268
I have a vintage Honda thanks to SL350. :lol2:

I've seen your requests for rides (Lake Erie type ride) etc. I'm thinking you might have better luck looking for urban rides. Since my bike has the same size engine as my lawnmower and SL350 is riding a bike with half that displacement, a ride around the city sounds like the deal to me.

Rick, I just don't like riding around the city, especially DFW. Riding around small town Texas, that I agree with. But I also want to do BBR like we talked and you know I want to do a Padre fishing ride.

My vintage bikes include '71 Triumph TR6R, '71 BSA Project and a Yamaha RD400 Daytona project. Vintage projects in the garage now include a '41 Indian 741 (the project that cannot be finished) and a '54 Harley Davidson KH (the project that cannot be started because of the Indian that can't be finished.)

There is no part of the ET450 that cannot be ridden on an SL350, except maybe 9 mile road. Some of the logging roads north of Carmona are pretty bad and there is lots of sand, but it's not that bad. If you want GPS tracks let me know.

Here's my "new" dirt bike...mostly a '71 Hodaka Ace 100...

6896205224_f13e2ea6b6.jpg

Here's my "old" bike, a '62 Honda CB77...acquired in '63 when avatar pic was taken...this one is from last year courtesy m38a1...

5837031406_2a6559e57b.jpg

The Ace 100 is sweet! I have a few miles on one of those, when I was 15.....:rider:

I call it riding an old bike! :lol2:

(Full disclosure, I have two old bikes that aren't exactly in riding condition... yet!)

Here's my "vintage" Honda 1975 CB400F. Bought last year after sitting in storage in Arkansas for 20 years. Lots of work over the winter and now it's ready to play.

Attachments

• IMG_3974.jpg
    IMG_3974.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 285
Right, photos or it doesn't happen, right? :sun:

First couple are my '85 Kawasaki, now collecting dust and cobwebs in a back corner of my garage, though I had fun with her all over New York (even some snow, which is especially fun when your clutch cable snaps! :eek2:) and over to Ohio. She held up good for some commuting down here, but eventually got abandoned by me after a couple things went wrong. By the time I got around to looking at her again, there was enough wrong, and I was busy enough, I just let her sit.

101_3953.png

Check out my amazing packing skillz! The first one was the first time I went farther than about 20 miles from my parents, house. My school was exactly 200 miles away, and I made it something like 130 of those miles before having to put her in a truck, and park her behind a friend's garage for a week. Turns out crappy paper stand-ins for proper foam air filters, and bad coils don't like driving rain. :lol2:

luggage.jpg

oil_trip.jpg

This is my '79 Suziki GS850G, which still looks like this, except for a few more parts pulled off, and some more cobwebs on her. :doh: (HuskyVarmit, I promise I'll get her running again!!!)

100_4847.jpg

I have a Suzuki GT380, GT750 & T500, all in my signature line. I wouldn't want to take them down any dirt roads though.

I think it is great to look at the diversity of bikes already posted to this thread: On and off road, small and large, cruiser and standard, Jap, Brit, Austrian and American, 2 and 4 stroke.

I have a '83 GL1100A and a '85 GL1200A. Both qualify for antique plates, but I have a hard time calling them vintage.
Something about nothing from the 80s should be considered classic :nono:

My "newest" bike is a 1998 and old bike is a 1977 both Harley's.

Road_thing, you know about Shovelhead.US? Forum all about shovelheads and other older Harley's

Tom

Back