• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Riding a vintage?

What is the deal with antique tags? You still pay registration every year, don't you? How much does this save?

You only pay registration every five years and you are exempt from safety inspections.

Of course, with those tags you're not supposed to use the vehicle in question as a daily rider, either. That's why every time I'm on my KZ, it's 'officially' a "maintenance test ride", which is provided for in the statutes.

:thumb:

FYI:

Sec. 504.502. CERTAIN EXHIBITION VEHICLES; OFFENSE. (a) The department shall issue specialty license plates for a passenger car, truck, motorcycle, or former military vehicle that:

(1) is at least 25 years old, if the vehicle is a passenger car, truck, or motorcycle;

(2) is a collector's item;

(3) is used exclusively for exhibitions, club activities, parades, and other functions of public interest and is not used for regular transportation; and

(4) does not carry advertising.

(b) The license plates must include the words "Antique Auto," "Antique Truck," "Antique Motorcycle," or "Military Vehicle," as appropriate.

(c) A person eligible for the license plates may instead use license plates issued by this state in the same year as the model year of the vehicle and approved by the department, provided that a passenger car must bear passenger car or truck license plates and a truck must bear passenger car or truck license plates. The department may require attachment of a registration insignia to the license plate in a manner that does not affect the display of information originally on the license plate.

(d) License plates issued or approved under this section expire on the fifth anniversary of the date of issuance or approval.

(e) The fee for issuance or approval of license plates under this section is:

(1) $10 for each year or portion of a year remaining in the five-year registration period if the vehicle was manufactured in 1921 or later; or

(2) $8 for each year or portion of a year remaining in the five-year registration period if the vehicle was manufactured before 1921.

There is also a series of "Classic" plates available from Tx DMV. There is no special fee other than the usual vehicle registration fees and there are no restrictions on vehicle usage.
classic_motorcycle.jpg

http://www.txdmv.gov/vehicles/license_plates/qualifying/plate.htm?id=145&cat=antique

I was thinking of getting a set of 'classic truck' plates for my beater 85 Toyota pickup.:trust:

Sure looks to be in good original shape. I used to lust for one.

In an effort to get one of my sl350s back on the road for some DS work, I am going to do the Vermont registration since the title is long lost. If that works I will report back here. I know it works for little rides like the ct90 but they also register big bikes that are over a certain age.

I wonder how many old rides are left in the barn for title issues?

Can I join the ride if my 1963 Puch and the frame for my 1970 CB750 are in the bed of my truck?

I think it is great to look at the diversity of bikes already posted to this thread: On and off road, small and large, cruiser and standard, Jap, Brit, Austrian and American, 2 and 4 stroke.

Also got one of these:
Madura2.jpg

That one is definitely a rare one, Suzuki only made 4000 or so.

ITS. International Title Service. They will send You a legal title for $150, then You can tag/inspect and ride legally. I have not used them, but a Friend of Mine is a collector, and He has titled many old bikes that way.

In an effort to get one of my sl350s back on the road for some DS work, I am going to do the Vermont registration since the title is long lost. If that works I will report back here. I know it works for little rides like the ct90 but they also register big bikes that are over a certain age.

I wonder how many old rides are left in the barn for title issues?

I had mine done through a mob in Arizona, I think it was around $100 and too 2 weeks. Then 20 minutes at the DMV and my 1963 Puch (ignore the signature line) is in my name.

Not riding it yet but here's my 1975 CL360 project. All original, maybe the original air in the tires.

c6e4d990-3964-c678.jpg

c6e4d990-39c5-8cb2.jpg

c6e4d990-399a-c70e.jpg

Posting with Tapatalk for iPhone.

Interesting looking 360. What is the story on the bike? Looks like it has been sitting for a long time, but not outside.

Another member here bought but never got around to doing anything with it and it's been inside the garage for the past 8 years. The tool kit still looks new. There are a few dirt dobber nests to clean up and some aged rubber but it doesn't look like it will be too hard to bring back to life, I know, I know, famous last words. I think it's going to be a fun project that I do plan to put back in as close to new as I can.

Posting with Tapatalk for iPhone.

Oh yeah, it's going to be fun. I don't care if it takes a couple or more years to do it the way I want it, I'm in no hurry to get it done.

Am I riding vintage? HECK YES!

Post photos? Okay, this might take a while.

First of all, my trustiest vintage bike, a 1975 Norton 850 Commando Interstate Mark III. I can hop on it and ride cross country, stopping only for gas-

183136443.jpg

Then there's my around-town ride, a 1967 Triumph Bonneville 650; my first restoration project from a barely-running beater (sorry I never took a "before" photo)-

183136440.jpg

Completing the classic Britbike trifecta is my 1967 BSA 441 Victor "thumper"-

183137095.jpg

I also do Japanese bikes. Like my '67 Honda CL77 305 scrambler-

402276713.jpg

...and of course my 1980 Kawasaki KZ1000, first bike I ever bought brand new (well, it had 23 miles on it from the dealer)-

183136452.jpg

I also RACE vintage with AHRMA (American Historic Racing Motorcycle Assn.); this is my scratch-built '69 Triumph Bonneville 650, bone stock except for electronic ignition and number plates-

332700865.jpg

In all, I have 36 bikes in my collection. Other than a 2000 Triumph Legend 900 triple and a 2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200, they are all older than 1983, with the oldest being a '56 Triumph Thunderbird bobber project. I think I've posted all of my collection up to my TWT photo album - TWT Album

So, yes, I'm riding vintage (most of the time).

Paul - what's that pan underneath the Triumph race bike?

Rt

Last edited:
Back