• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Riding Boots/work boots with safety toe. Ideas?

ntklr650

Matt6:34
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Last Name
M
I am looking for a non Harley Davidson safety toe riding boot. I am wanting something I can ride to work and not have to change out of even if I go to the shop. I am currently only finding HD style boots and nothing that fits a KLR and doubles as office worthy. I am looking at some combat boots that may fit the bill as they zip for ease but should provide good ankle support. I know they are not proper riding boots but I have honestly never worn proper riding boots except for off-road.

I just went for a ride (not on a KLR...) in my brand new Caterpillar Second Shift work boots. I am sure they have a safety toe version. Far more ankle protection than a combat type boot. I routinely ride in my Keen 59 boots, which again are not "proper" work boots but Keen has a huge selection of work boots, I'm sure something will fit the bill. Having recently shopped for work boots, I found tons of them that would work fine for riding a motorcycle.

I do have a pair of dedicated riding boots, BTW. I have used them once. I also had a wreck last year in non-moto-specific boots and broke my foot in 5 places. However, I don't think any boot short of a full on MX boot would have done much to protect my foot in that wreck.

I just wear my old-school Red Wing lace- ups on my bikes. Same as I wear in office/shop other than work pair is black (easier to make professional after scuffing). The big toe box does take getting used-to if you do not have heel shifter. If you need safety toe shoes look into the composite toes - they are significantly lighter

I also wear Red Wing boots. All day comfort and when you wear the sole out you take them back and it's about $120 to have them resoled. Get to know the sales people and they will tell you all kinds of great info about the boots and how to care for them, probably more than you'd care to know. I always bought less expensive brands then realized I was wasting money because once the sole wore out they were trash. Now when these get resoled (choice of sole material) they also get new strings and insoles. They're as comfortable as brand new.
This is what I wear: https://www.redwingshoes.com/work/mens/waterproof/Brnr-XP-02400.html

I should point out, it's not just Red Wing boots that can be resoled. I had a pair of moc-toe Wolverine work boots resoled with my choice of soles, I picked the wedge sole vibrams, for $80. Half the price of the boots new. They were excellent after they were done but they still didn't fit so I sold them. Most quality work boots can be resoled. $120 is on the high side of pricing.

Thanks for the thoughts on Danner, I have been seen those but did not know anything about them.

I just bought some Danner "urban hiking" shoes. So far so good three days in. But pretty expensive. Not sure that would be my first choice unless I already had good reason to choose them.

Well I went the Danner route, so far they look excellent but have not worn them yet. This should fit the bill for work and riding better then what I have been wearing.

2 week review

I love them, they look nice in the office and are the most comfortable safety boots i have ever worn. They are comfortable all day and great while riding. I may have to adjust my shifter or get a longer shifter for larger boots. So far i am super happy with them.

Been wearing Danner since 1992. They just work for me.

I'm really happy with my new Danner shoes, everything is great except the price. We will only know if the price was justified in a year or two. If they wear like normal hiking shoes that cost half as much, then they will be the last pair of Danner shoes for me.

I see you already bought. For others, unless a safety toe is required by your employer, it might be something to think twice about. Wildland firefighter boots prohibit safety toes because if a machine runs over your foot, the steel toe cap cuts all your toes off. It also heats up something crazy when you're walking in fire. Been there, done that. Whites and Nicks (and Danner to a lesser extent) are popular with the wildland firefighter and logging crews who walk miles a day in their boots. I wear Nicks and love them. Thankfully still lots of options for an American made boot.

I see you already bought. For others, unless a safety toe is required by your employer, it might be something to think twice about. Wildland firefighter boots prohibit safety toes because if a machine runs over your foot, the steel toe cap cuts all your toes off. It also heats up something crazy when you're walking in fire. Been there, done that. Whites and Nicks (and Danner to a lesser extent) are popular with the wildland firefighter and logging crews who walk miles a day in their boots. I wear Nicks and love them. Thankfully still lots of options for an American made boot.
The ones I bought are a composite safety toe for that very reasons. I used to refuse to wear steel toes in my last job as most components weight over 10k lbs and many were in the 60k range. Steel toe caps will just amputate toes. With nothing you stand a chance with a fractured foot.

I had a set of Danner boots back in the 90s.

Unfortunately, for me they were simply too hot for the climate here in East Texas.

Since this got brought back to life, how bout a long term update @ntklr650 ? Does your shifter cause scuffing or discoloration much?
So far i have not had any issues with scuffing. I keep telling myself i need to move to a longer shifter but so far it has worked well.

As for the Danner boots, i cant say enough good things. super comfortable and nice to walk to the shop floor without changing boots all the time.

Back