• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Riding school recommendations for Class M license

Reaction score
I'm basically smack dab center or Temple, Waco and B/CS. I do have my standard TX DL for autos.
Training Wheels Texas in CS was recommended for my safety course/certification school.
So, question is, any other recommendations for schools? The MSF website lists Adam Smith HD in Waco and Horny Toad HD in Temple as other close options.
And just to make sure I understand the procedure:
1) I pick a school and register
2) I do the online MSF video class first
3) I can take the course at the school (with riding test)
4) show up to TX DPS with my certificate and pay the fee right?
Any other written or riding test from the DPS required?
Thanks!

You have the process down correctly. There is no longer a separate riding test at DPS required. The MSF course now suffices for that. Take your certificate, pay the fee and you'll receive the Class M endorsement. As for schools, I believe Total Rider has a range in Killeen (and maybe some others around) and a fellow TWT'er is an instructor for them. The HD based course is slightly longer (and likely slightly more $) as there is additional content to that course.

I took the Training Wheels course several years ago, I would recommend it, they're good guys.
You have the process right, take the course and go to DPS with certificate, I don't remember an online MSF portion but that may have been added after I took it.
Personally I would steer clear of the HD courses, I don't like dealing with salesmen.

Personally I would steer clear of the HD courses, I don't like dealing with salesmen.
FWIW, the HD course, while branded and with content about the Harley history, brand, etc., isn't overly sales driven. There is some time spent touring the dealership, meeting each dept. including sales, parts & accessories, and service, but the class time is not taken up with sales activities or dealing with sales staff, other than getting introduced to them. The dealership will follow up with you though, and that might be a sales person.

Texas utilizes the E3x5x10 model with the approx. 3 hrs. of e-learning (E3) being the pre-work to shorten classroom time.

I took mine in 2011 at Hutto High School. Two days, Like 4 hours class and 4 hours riding Kawasaki 125 in the parking lot.
Surely there are classes in College Station. The price was like 75 dollars, but worth it.
I had lost my M endorsement somehow over the years of not riding street.
I think the State of Texas pays for the bikes they teach with.
I recommend the course.

FWIW, the HD course, while branded and with content about the Harley history, brand, etc., isn't overly sales driven. There is some time spent touring the dealership, meeting each dept. including sales, parts & accessories, and service, but the class time is not taken up with sales activities or dealing with sales staff, other than getting introduced to them. The dealership will follow up with you though, and that might be a sales person.

Texas utilizes the E3x5x10 model with the approx. 3 hrs. of e-learning (E3) being the pre-work to shorten classroom time.

I'm just biased because I don't like Harley culture, it's probably good enough for most people.

• Sad
Reactions: Vec
+1 for Training Wheels in BCS. I went through them in 2017 and highly recommend them.

Friday night classroom portion was done at ProCycle, an indie shop in Bryan, but there was 0 pressure as the shop had just closed for the day before the class started. The riding portion was done in the parking lot of one of the high schools off of 2818.

You are 99% spot on with the procedure. If memory serves correctly, there is a written test that is done during the Friday classroom session. Everything else is the same. I went ahead and renewed my license when I added the Class M as it was doing to expire soon.

I wonder what bikes the HD course is using now. I know they used to use the Buell 500 series bikes when Buell was still a thing. I'd bet they are using something like the street 500 series bike now.

They do use the Street 500. One plus for H-D is all bikes are of the same model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I took the Training Wheels course several years ago, I would recommend it, they're good guys.
You have the process right, take the course and go to DPS with certificate, I don't remember an online MSF portion but that may have been added after I took it.

Did mine last year at Javelina HD in San Antonio and although there is some sales aspect to them, the HD classes are very well done with very experienced rider coaches. I had to do mine as I recently got back to riding and somewhere in multiple moves between states and provinces my endorsement was lost. A word to the wise always check aftyer a renewal to make sure the M endorsement is still there, especially when moving between states.

Did mine last year at Javelina HD in San Antonio and although there is some sales aspect to them, the HD classes are very well done with very experienced rider coaches. I had to do mine as I recently got back to riding and somewhere in multiple moves between states and provinces my endorsement was lost. A word to the wise always check aftyer a renewal to make sure the M endorsement is still there, especially when moving between states.
I lost my M years ago somehow. I just took the course to get it back. Two ladies did not pass. One was made to get off bike after several falls. She acted mad, but she just needed a lot more practice before the riding skills portion of course. They were junky Kawasaki 125 cc bikes. If a person can't keep one of these pip squeaks up they don't need a M endorsement.

I lost my M years ago somehow. I just took the course to get it back. Two ladies did not pass. One was made to get off bike after several falls. She acted mad, but she just needed a lot more practice before the riding skills portion of course. They were junky Kawasaki 125 cc bikes. If a person can't keep one of these pip squeaks up they don't need a M endorsement.
Or use a bicycle. Actually this is a great way of reinforcing the basics of 2 wheel operation.

Back