• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Riding the CDR

Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Waugh
Well we left Dallas Friday lunchtime in a U-haul truck with 3 dirt bikes and all our gear, my wife, youngest daughter and myself are driving up to Eureka in Montana, where we will unload the bikes, return the truck and then spend 2 weeks riding south to Mexico! We drove for 9 hours Friday and where still in Texas, today we drove for 12 hours and left Texas, crossed New Mexico then crossed Colorado, then crossed Wyoming and just entered Montana. Tomorrow we have about 9 more hours of driving to arrive at Eureka, and then Monday we set of south on the CDR. Will post pictures as we go, hope to meet other riders on the trail.

Attachments

• 204A00C1-9604-4EFA-88D7-9AC9D8860E66.jpeg
    204A00C1-9604-4EFA-88D7-9AC9D8860E66.jpeg
    193.6 KB · Views: 294
  • 649C429F-DBF7-4AEB-84CE-F4F95A1C0E92.jpeg
    649C429F-DBF7-4AEB-84CE-F4F95A1C0E92.jpeg
    294.5 KB · Views: 295
How do you strap down the bikes in the Uhaul?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Well we left Dallas Friday lunchtime in a U-haul truck with 3 dirt bikes and all our gear, my wife, youngest daughter and myself are driving up to Eureka in Montana, where we will unload the bikes, return the truck and then spend 2 weeks riding south to Mexico! We drove for 9 hours Friday and where still in Texas, today we drove for 12 hours and left Texas, crossed New Mexico then crossed Colorado, then crossed Wyoming and just entered Montana. Tomorrow we have about 9 more hours of driving to arrive at Eureka, and then Monday we set of south on the CDR. Will post pictures as we go, hope to meet other riders on the trail.
Have fun looks like an epic trip ahead.

That's going to be a great trip!

I too am curious as to how the bikes rode in the U-Haul. It looks like they were tied onto their kickstands (presumably in gear). Did you guys encounter any issues with this?

Thats a trip of a lifetime! Wife AND daughter! Ive tried to get my son to go with me but if its not motocross he's not interested.
Safe Travels.

Go Gary go..... did any fights break out in the cab of the truck [emoji23]

Y'all have fun (don't need me to tell ya that, I've never met a family as good at having fun as you all.)

But, look forward to updates from on the road.

Looking forward to some updates along the way.

Can’t wait for the pictures and RR updates!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me to curious about the bike tie down situation, oh and the trip of course!
Looking forward to pics and reports.

I need to login on my iphone so I can send some pictures.. update is we arrived in Eureka late sunday afternoon, having thought the vacation would be cancelled sunday morning!! I woke up saturday night around midnight in tremendous agony, I had a kidney stone!! the last time I had one it put me in hospital for 3 days, so I drank about 3 litres of water and tried to rest, the pain was so high I couldn't sleep, and my wife and I started discussing how to get the bikes back to Texas, which hospital I should go to, etc. getting really depressed that we had driven for 2 full days and not yet arrived and it was going to be cancelled, then around 7:00om the pain just stopped (I guess the stone had passed!) I was very tender on the back right hand side where the kidney is, but no pain, so at 9:00am we got in the truck and continued to Eureka!! unloaded the bikes this morning at the U-haul center and at 10:00am we drove to the canadian border and started the CDR ride, we rode until 2:00pm and then stopped for a picnic lunch, one of our 3 Sena intercoms, died on the drive up here (god knows why, it worked perfectly the week before!) so just my wife and daughter could discuss the route and listen to music, whilst we had the picnic I rang a few motorcycle shops (there aren't many around here) and found one that had a Sena20S Evo in stock, so after the picnice we drove to the shop, bought the intercom and then continued the ride, stopping around 7:00pm at a place called Seeley Lake. we covered 260 miles (which gven the issues with the intercom and everything else was not bad.. We had a nice dinner and I then spent the next 2 hours updating the firmware on the new Sena intercom and pairing it with my phone, my GPS and my wife and daughters intercoms, so with a bit of luck we will all be in communication tomorrow!! we have seen some lovely scenery, met a few other riders also riding the CDR, came across our first Black bear walking on the trail (I was too slow to stop and get my camera out, so no pictures of the bear) and stopped at a lovely lodge.. Will add pictures from my phone shortly.. Should arrive at a friends house tomorrow afternoon and will send the rest of the day and all day Wednesday with them, before heading on the trail again Thursday morning. Weather was wonderful, it was 30C (no idea what that is oon the American Farenheit system) but it was a lot cooler than it has been for the last few weeks, so it seems the gods are favouring us!!

Have fun in Texas and see y'all in 2 weeks..

Gary

I will get more pictures of my wife’s and daughters phones, so you will see that I am also there!! 😀

I will get more pictures of my wife’s and daughters phones, so you will see that I am also there!! 😀
Thanks for the update. Glad that stone passed on its own and your Family can continue on your epic trip.
Do watch your self. Your wife may try running over your foot. Pay back is ****.

Glad your making progress. Enjoy the adventure.

Back