• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

riding the fast bike fast...

• Thread starter Deleted member 23845
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 23845

All,

Hmm, on my mind. Well, a few weeks back I traded my 2015 Triumph 675 STRX triple in on a new MV Agusta 800 triple, Dragster RR Brutale. 109 to about 140 HP, and overall...well...faster, sharper, upgrades in all respects.

Reminds me of the old saying: "it is more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow". I also own, for contrast, a 2017 Moto Guzzi V7 III Special with about 50 hp. The Guzzi is deceptively quick, incredibly smooth, comfortable as an old couch, and yeah well the classic slow bike fast fun. Reminds me of my Mazda MX-5 Miata.

I just finished the 600 mile service on the new MV "trepistoni". Rode it home, and a bit more; after several back to back rides on the Guzzi. All I can say: the MV is, just incredible. I think one of the big differences from the Guzzi and old Triumph is the counter-rotating crankshaft. This is Moto GP technology. The bike just corners unbelievably quick: I have never ridden anything like it. And then there is the full on dV/dT (that is acceleration to you non engineering majors). Brutale is an apt name for the bike and engine: it just screams. Add the auto-shifter (up and down), and traction control, and adjustable mapping, and adjustable ABS: the bike is an electronic marvel. Not to mention the suspension, tires and geometry and light weight.

So, I am getting into: riding the fast bike fast. By the time I am into 4th gear, I am over 80 mph. And the bike is only half way to red line? Seriously?

My old Triumph, well I could push it pretty hard too, but nothing like the new MV. The Triumph was extremely linear in acceleration: yes very fast, but...not the MV rush. They call it Dragster RR for a reason. Braking to match...amazing. Tried some emergency maneuvers: lightning response, a safety upgrade to be sure.

Not sure where I am going with this post, other than I am into a new dimension of riding, and pondering my own limits, legalities, safety and such. I am sure others with "superbikes", the liter class, etc have had the same experience. Any advice or comments? It sure would be fun to take to a track day, and I am not talking a short track, I mean like in COTA.

Yes, I am a mature rider, and experienced.

Yeah, that's the question: advice please from the experienced superbike owners?
Thoughts? Comments?

Yes, I am a mature rider, and experienced.

Yeah, that's the question: advice please from the experienced superbike owners?
Thoughts? Comments?

Recently, while chatting with a group of riders, one of them mentioned that "occasionally you just got to open them up because..." but struggled to come up with the "because". I interjected "because it's a motorcycle". I think all riders are Adrenaline Junkies to some level or another. I know I am. So go ahead and enjoy that new Brutale and admit that you too are an Adrenaline Junkie...

Sincerely,
An Old Adrenaline Junkie with a few fast scooters...

-

Last edited:
Around open farm and ranch roads it easy to bust it above 90 or so safely. Hidden sight causes problems with high speed as you well know

whoa-whoa-whoa-just-take-it-easy-man-meme.jpg

It's harder to find unpatrolled and quiet roads around the Houston area - as the cities shrink the countryside our old super bike roads are just a little too busy for the mayhem of old. Or maybe I'm just more conservative knowing that as I age the healing slows.
I'm not going to say not to open her up on a backroad somewhere. Because from time to time you still have to just do it. But it sounds like you are heading for the right idea for that bike - trackdays.

I'm ashamed to say that I've never had a track day, even though I consider myself to be a very good rider. So I should. But I don't have a pure sport bike anymore. The baby Monster I just added to the stable should work fine though, and my K1200RS would be a hoot on a bigger track. I just don't know how to get started. I figure I'll need a trailer (or rent a trailer), need to tape the lights and other bike / track prep. Probably need a buddy or relative to go with me "just in case" I can't get myself or my bike home. Need to evaluate which track day organization (I understand some are more newbie friendly than others). Lots of inertia in my case.

You need to find a buddy that's done it before and will take you under their wing for the first time?

Riding COTA would be fabulous, especially the rhythm section. Let that Brutale howl ...

Dave.

... By the time I am into 4th gear, I am over 80 mph. ... Comments?

My ol' RC-30 would do 80 in 1st (But of course it took slipping the clutch at 3Krpm to get off the line - gearing!):mrgreen:

Congrats on the new Brutale - Heck of a bike!

The slow bike fast thing came from track riding as you can corner them really fast. It's fun to ride around the outside of a guy with 150 HP bike in a turn because you can corner and they can't.

My point is that track riding is about being fast around the track, not really about going fast in a straight line or top speed. It's all about about braking as late as possible, taking the corner as fast as possible, and then getting back on the gas as soon as possible. Yes...it leads to some very fast speeds on long straights, but if you just want to go fast for the speed rush, country roads without driveways can often provide that runway for quite a bit less than a track day. (although they can cost lot more if you run into a LEO or a stray cow)

Bottom line...a lot of people begin track days for the speed of the straightaway but I think you'll find the bigger rush is the knee down in the corner at 100 than the 170 mph on the straight. Either way...it's a really good time and I'd encourage you to go to one. RideSmart does a pretty good track day. It has it's quirks, but they create a safe environment where it's possible to learn track skill and get your speed freak on without having to risk your life or your bike.

Last edited:
I find riding at the track is a great way to focus away from issues and relax. Plus you get a great workout. I currently use my 2006 Gixxer 750 and my DR-Z400SM to play and have great fun without all the electronics. When I had my Superduke 1290R I always turned the stuff off at the track. I like to go fast, but prefer to go fast in the corners and feel the g forces both turning and braking. I find that the more you play the better it gets. I am about to turn 60, I am retiring in a month. I just ordered a set of Medium Dunlop N-TEC Slicks for the Gixxer. I hope I burn them up in October.

_MG_4854.jpg

That was ten years ago, I am a little fatter, a little slower, but riding a year older bike. Life is very good indeed. Now if I can just stop pounding things into my head....

Don’t blame you Greg, hard to avoid the temptation when you have all that power available. Back in the 70’s, I loved nothing better than opening up my Z1 on back roads in east Texas where there was little to no traffic. Unfortunately around here, there aren’t any real safe places to do so. Hope you can find a track somewhere so you don’t have to deal with all of the obstacles there are on the street.

:tab I like to accelerate... and go fast! I cannot lie :rider:

:tab That said, I try to keep things under 80mph most of the time. Out on the street, there are just WAY too many unknowns. Once you start getting over 75-80mph, our slow reaction times really start to become an issue. At that point, you are basically playing Russian Roulette whether you think you are in control or not :suicide:

:tab I like to do what 2WheeledNut said, pick my pace and then try to minimize my deviation from it during all cornering. So my top speeds stay sane, but I like to zip out of corners once I can see a clear exit. I tried doing that some years back on several REALLY fast bikes and realized I would eventually be dead or in jail because the temptation is so great and my will power so weak. So I got a 1200 GS to slow me down :mrgreen:

I did do several track days. Granted, it was only on a VFR 800, but it was quite fun. I'd do that all the time if I had the time and money for it. It is just WAY safer than trying to do the fast stuff on public roads, even with the other riders out there.

Riding a slow bike fast is fun, certainly more fun than riding a fast bike slow.
But riding a fast bike fast?.... that is just incredible!
Unfortunately, I am too much in touch with my inner idiot to do this anymore.
I discovered years ago that I apparently cannot be trusted (even by myself) with a high performance bike and it is only a matter of time before I do something that will be very hard to explain to the officer. So like Scott, I try to work on keeping my cornering fast and my riding slow.
Enjoy the Brutale, everyone I know who has ridden one says much the same about them, stunning pieces of engineering.

All wise, and welcome comments... given that, the Brutale is set for a run out NW early Thursday morning before the rains... Brenham vicinity, with some curves and such. I keep it sane.... might seriously look at a track day or two when it cools off.. I have the leathers

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPq2edSDAnc"]Italian Music TARANTELLA NAPOLETANA accordion Fisarmonica Akkordeonmusik Acordeon The Godfather - YouTube[/ame]

Meister of Tour,

Agree on pacing... smooth is the word...

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FlNBuS7YgM"]Tarantella Napoletana - Italian Mandolin music by Antonio Calsolaro - YouTube[/ame]

find a good road, take some "sight laps" to check for animals, the fuzz and to learn the road. gear up and be careful. fast bikes fast on the open road can get scary.

find a good road, take some "sight laps" to check for animals, the fuzz and to learn the road. gear up and be careful. fast bikes fast on the open road can get scary.

True that! First time I lit the fuse on my old Superhawk that 90 degree turn came up on me a lot quicker than it used to or that I expected. Thankfully the Big Chicken had great brakes ...

That would make a great video of you ripping around with scenes spliced together with that background music and that exhaust Roar. Mama Mia!

I recommend hitting up the local racetracks and getting the speed bug out of your system. I regularly double or triple the limits on known safe sections of roadway and regularly run 120 or 130 mph on the road into my neighborhood "to air the bike out", but I never feel entirely safe about it like I do on the track and try not to push above 75% of track pace. Too many unknowns, too many ways to die. Get your rush on the track before something out of control happens to you at speed on public roads.

The Brutale is a great platform, very capable. My race partner won Pikes Peak on his slightly modded MV 675 Brutale. When I ride on the street with him I am like a grandpa on my Rascal Hoverround saying, "Hey there young whippersnapper, keep it under 150 on the straights, ok?" In other words, to ride streets fast you need god like skills to really enjoy yourself and not die. On the track, you can get comfortable to be fast and safe at ridiculous speeds.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_umrsaWQYw"]Kris Lillegard - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
Legalities aside, "Fast" is a relative term.

Truly fast / racing fast..., meaning 150 + on straights, cornering at 100 + belongs on racetracks only if you want to live. You can do it on a street but just like the racers do, you will eventually crash. Difference being they'll crash into a gravel area with safety flaggers to help and the street guy will crash into a barbed wire fence, a tree, a boulder, or fall off a cliff.

This is proven out by street racing events such as the Isle of Man TT and the Pikes Peak Hillclimb. You have some of the highest skilled riders on the planet doing those events and they close down the road so you don't have to worry about traffic or someone pulling out in front of you and they still have racers die every year. Isle of Man averages about one racer killed every year, Pikes Peak is more like one every 3 years. Best riders, on closed courses and they still die because roads are not forgiving.

The average rider on a public road with all of the road dangers plus traffic and animals and debris on the road simply doesn't have a chance at those speeds.

Bottom line....One should really limit the triple digit exposure on the street if they want to live as every time you do it, you are essentially playing Russian Roulette.

PS...I assume this wasn't news to anyone. Not sure why I wrote it.

Last edited:
Not news...but appreciated. Hope to get on the MV soon. Been traveling. Need some reasonably dry weather and caught up on sleep.

[QUOTE=Shadman;1571461]I recommend hitting up the local racetracks and getting the speed bug out of your system. I regularly double or triple the limits on known safe sections of roadway and regularly run 120 or 130 mph on the road into my neighborhood "to air the bike out", but I never feel entirely safe about it like I do on the track and try not to push above 75% of track pace. Too many unknowns, too many ways to die. Get your rush on the track before something out of control happens to you at speed on public roads.

The Brutale is a great platform, very capable. My race partner won Pikes Peak on his slightly modded MV 675 Brutale. When I ride on the street with him I am like a grandpa on my Rascal Hoverround saying, "Hey there young whippersnapper, keep it under 150 on the straights, ok?" In other words, to ride streets fast you need god like skills to really enjoy yourself and not die. On the track, you can get comfortable to be fast and safe at ridiculous speeds.

Now these are words to live by.

Rode my Moto Guzzi today, been about two weeks. Love this bike. Let me say that again, love the 2017 V7 Special. Only 52 hp, but wow what torque and smooth. It is deceptively fast. Compared to the MV acceleration is modest, but the Guzzi cruises at 80 beautifully, handles wonderfully and is predictable and comfy as can be. The interesting thing, I actually cover more miles, faster on the Guzzi than on the wicked fast MV. Mandello del Lario has something to teach Varese to the west: yes both northern Italia, but clearly Guzzi has depth and character where the MV has blazing white hot passion.

The Dragster RR gets a run tomorrow.

Over 40-years on the street, 60-years old and still find myself saying "well that was stupid" after a ride.
Hard to hold back on the mountain twisties or long stretches of open road.

Last edited:
Over 40-years on the street, 60-years old and still find myself saying "well that was stupid" after a ride.
Hard to hold back on the mountain twisties or long stretches of open road.

I resemble that remark....
You are a little bit ahead of me in saddle years but the song remains the same. :trust::lol2:

Back