• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Riding the Passes around Ouray, Co., 7/29 - 8/3

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys are killing me, first I find out RG is going to be there on the dates above, but someone made the move to Durango. My wife and I are so in love with the Purgatory area, would love to have a summer house up there someday.

Almost thinking if I were to go, I might only take the Husky 501 and leave the AT home. They both serve a purpose up there...

Was looking at some fire maps from https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/ but I am still no expert on the area. The fire doesn't appear to have made it as far North as I thought it had. Pretty tragic for those who have lost everything.

I'll be in the neighborhood while y'all are in Ouray. For anyone out there fence sitting -wondering if you should go...GO! There are some single track trails not too far out of Ouray that are epic. One up near Ridgway ranks among my all-time favorites...anywhere. These are technical "little bike" trails best for folks with endurance and a good bit of seat time.

A few switchbacks never hurt anyone. :rider:

Hermosa Creek Rd is closed, as of now. So is Junction Creek. I live about 5 minutes from La Plata canyon, which goes up to Kenebec Pass, and over to Rico. Last week Kevin/Feral Mutt (he drove a box truck up here for me) rode up to Kenebec and could see the fires moving up the mountain.

Hey RG and Scott- I'm living in Durango now and would love to join y'all for some rides!

:tab You are more than welcome, but that is a good haul from Durango up to Ouray to meet us by 9:00am (unless you are a morning person).

:tab The plan right now is to do three days on the big bikes and three days on the small bikes. I've not yet laid down the actual routes in GPX format yet.

:tab Without a doubt, the small bike routes will include Cinnamon, Engineer, Imogene, and Black Bear. I had hoped to be able to use Hermosa Creek Rd. via Scotch Creek Rd., just South of Rico. But, we can also stay further North, maybe do Last Dollar Highway out of Telluride then cut back over to Ridgway and back to Ouray.

:tab Big bike routes will likely include the loop down to Durango, over to Cortez, back up over Lizzard Head Pass to Telluride, Last Dollar Highway over to Ridgway and back to Ouray. We'll probably head up over Owl Creek Pass to US 50, then down to Lake City and Slumgullion Pass, back up Cebolla Creek Rd to US 50, then back to Ouray. Lastly, I'm thinking of the run up CO 141 through Naturita and Gateway, then back down the Divide Road across the Uncompahgre Platuea to 62, and back thru Ridgway to Ouray.

Almost thinking if I were to go, I might only take the Husky 501 and leave the AT home. They both serve a purpose up there...

:tab Bring them both. Split a room with Desmo at the Comfort Inn where we are staying. You won't regret it. He's in Magnolia (NW Houston) and could also use a ride up if you can haul his bike(s). (Not sure which he wants to bring with him).

Just got back from that area last week. It's great as always but it's really dry and dusty so you might consider some sort of dust filter for breathing while you ride. We saw a lot of side by side's / Rzr type vehicles kicking up a lot of dust so it's somewhat unavoidable.

We were in a Jeep so we could roll up windows if needed.

I don't want to make it sound like it's a constant dust storm. It's not. But...if you aren't the lead bike....you might be eating a fair amount of dust all day on the passes.

I'm totally jealous and would love to come but I just don't see myself being able to take the time off to do it. I know you all will have fun.

That looks fabulous - tasty tunes on the video, kind of made it seem not so scary. That would be so much fun. Maybe someday.

I would, but this.

Also, some of the passes are not really what I would call beginner or big bike friendly (especially for a newish/inexperienced rider).

What is little bike in this scenario? XR650L? CRF250L?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would, but this.

Well, those are the passes we'll be riding on the small bikes ;-)

:tab The stuff we'll be riding the big bikes on are roads that you can take most trucks/cars on without too much trouble in terms of clearance. You'd just have to go slow in them because of bumps. The only pass we may do on the big bikes that might be a challenge is Engineer pass (the West side going down to Animas Forks). However, I did that on my 1150 GS years ago as a complete newbie to dual sport riding and I made it down without any problems. The 1150 GS was WAY heavier than your AT or the newer 1200 GSs.

:tab Of the more technical passes, I did them originally on a KLR 650. I was not quite as much of a newbie as when I rode the 1150 GS, but I was still relatively inexperienced in terms of technical off road riding. The only thing that got a bit scary was Black Bear Pass and the switchbacks going down the West side. I would not do that on a GS, even the newer 1200s. On my 530 EXC, it should be no problem. Other people in our group were on bikes like DR 650s, DRZ 400s, KTM 450s, KLR 650s, WR450/250s, etc,... The only guy that had a real problem was on some kind of Kawasaki 250 that just ran out of steam around 11K ft on Imogene when it got a bit steep at one spot. He ended up turning back and heading to the hotel after a few failed attempts.

:tab Here are a few ride reports from the area that will give you a good idea of what it will be like,

The Great SW Colorado Mountain Pass Adventure of 2010
http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50937

Colorado passes by 3 couples
http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62402

Howdy,

:tab Rsquared, his son, his BIL, and myself will be heading to Ouray to ride the passes in the area and also hit some of the paved stuff as well. We are leaving July 27 and will ride starting Sunday morning (7/29) through Friday (8/3), then heading home Saturday morning (8/4). So, six full days of riding.

:tab We will be taking multiple bikes. I will have my 530 EXC and 1200 GS. Roger will have his 450 EXC, a 690 Enduro, and an 1190 Adventure. His BIL will have a 690 as well. We like to alternate between hard and easy days of riding so we don't wear ourselves out. Passes like Imogene and Black Bear will be ridden using the 530/450/690s. Easier passes and fun paved stuff will be ridden with the 690/1200/1190s. I doubt we will be doing any paved only routes, but there are several nice paved only routes than can be done from there (typically 300-400 miles/day depending on your tolerance for long rides).

:tab We are not hard core riders, meaning we won't be looking to set any speed records. We also won't be doing any single track trails on this trip. It will be jeep roads. We typically meet in the parking lot at 8:30am, head out shortly after, and try to get back to the hotel around 5-6pm at the latest. Breakfast is usually, but not always, at the hotel. We usually do a group lunch during the day and a group dinner in the evenings. Then we like to hang out and just visit afterward.

:tab We will be staying at the Comfort Inn in Ouray. There are lots of places to stay and camp. So you can stay anywhere you like. But, if you want to ride with us, meet at the Comfort Inn 8:30am every morning. Please be gassed and ready to go then. Ideally, the easiest thing to do is gas up the previous evening when you return from that day's ride.

:tab As of right now, there are no fires in the area that would impact any of the expected routes (other than perhaps a bit of smoke depending on the winds). Small bike routes will be mostly around Ouray. Big bike routes will probably head further North, potentially up to the Colorado National Monument, The Grand Mesa, and the North side of the Black Canyon of the Gunnison.

:tab This is not a pay to play event. It is just us going riding and you are welcome to participate as you like. I'll share GPS tracks if you like. You don't get a shirt unless you buy one somewhere while we are out riding ;-) You WILL be expected to have a bike in good mechanical condition with good tires and to carry appropriate tools/spare tubes to fix flats. In the areas around the mines, flats are not uncommon. Also, some of the passes are not really what I would call beginner or big bike friendly (especially for a newish/inexperienced rider). Oh, you will DEFINITELY want a good camera as the scenery and views are spectacular.

:tab Any takers? :cool2:
Do you think the fires will affect your ride. We will be leaving 25th to the 28 of July, will be up around Taylor Park. This will be my first ride on adventure bike. I bought a 2017 Africa twin DCT model. I am loving it, just got back in the house was setting the front and back suspension. just getting a starting point, went for a ride, got rid of all the drive it had when front braking. I have been riding motorcycle for 40 plus years. I have had the dirt bikes back in the day, i drag raced bikes for many years. I stopped doing that about 5 to 6 years ago. Getting up in age still like going fast 72 years old now. Grew up in Austin moved to Bastrop 34 years ago. Live in Rockport now most of the time now. Give me a call if you like can talk about what kind plans ya'll have going on, there will a few of us going. Not sure on the number of guys yet, around 4 to 6 I am thinking. my name is JERRY 512-913-9015

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=719408693488&set=pcb.719410330208&type=3&theater

550 had a lot of rock slides yesterday, that would be scary hoping you weren't pushed off the side!

:tab Yeah. I am a bit worried about weather. But, I don't think I have ever been out there are NOT been rained on at least part of the time. The rains make the jeep roads rough because they wash away all the little stuff and leave the big rocks behind. That can make for a challenge in places where the roads are not regularly maintained.

:tab As for getting knocked off the road by a surprise landslide... well... that's just one of those hand of God things you can't always control, kind of like getting whacked by lightning on top of a mountain :wary:

:tab It looks like the fires are under control for now. The rains are helping. Fire control has been turned back over to the regular NF service people and the fire crews are pulling out. They might even have Hermosa Creek Road open by the end of this week. That would be great because it opens up better route options Southwest of Ouray.

:tab The preliminary routes in GPX format are here. (Right click, Save link As).

Just booked my room at Comfort Inn, and talking with Desmo about drive up together. Will bring the Africa Twin and Husky 501. Downloaded Scott's gpx files, getting excited!!!

Just booked my room at Comfort Inn, and talking with Desmo about drive up together. Will bring the Africa Twin and Husky 501. Downloaded Scott's gpx files, getting excited!!!

Awesome! :clap:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=719408693488&set=pcb.719410330208&type=3&theater

550 had a lot of rock slides yesterday, that would be scary hoping you weren't pushed off the side!

They got it opened pretty quick, but it is now one lane with a traffic light controlling the flow. Crews are working at night to get it completely repaired. Hopefully, by the time we get there, it will be done. We'll have to cut through there for each of the small bike routes. Comments I have read have indicated that wait times have not been long.

Colorado DOT FB page
https://www.facebook.com/coloradodo...366104751637/1741016495953249/?type=3&theater

What are the chances that Sunday 8/29 would be big bike? I'm going to try and meet Kevin in Steamboat on Wednesday but I need to work Monday and Tuesday of that week.

Original plan was to work my way to Steamboat over the weekend and through Tuesday working out of Hotels with WiFi on Monday and Tuesday.

I could easily work my way to Ouray by Saturday night, ride Sunday with you guys, then work out of Ouray on Monday and work my way to Steamboat.

But....I'll only be on the GS so I can't do a singletrack or extreme 4WD road. For example, I should be able to do Black Bear, Cinnamon, Ophir, California Gulch or even upper Engineer on the GS but I don't think I'd take it on Lower Engineer, Poughkeepsie, Stony or other trails that would be pretty hard for a big bike.

Anyway...if it works out, then great. If not, I'll probably spend the weekend around Creede. My son works on a ranch there all summer with family friends and it's always good to see them.

:tab We usually do the small bikes the first day and then alternate between big and small the rest of the week. I was thinking Sunday we'd head up Corkscrew, over California Gulch to Placer Gulch and then Cinnamon. I don't really recall any of this being technical, other than there are some short steep sections, but nothing rough with rock crawling. We'd Grab lunch in Lake City then head up over Engineer, dropping down Mineral Creek to 550 just below Ouray. The only section that would be really hard on the GS would be that stretch of Engineer going down to US 550. You could instead just head on into Silverton and run 550 back up to Ouray. But, if you are heading to Creede, you could also just leave Lake City and head straight there after lunch, skipping the last part of the route.

FYI, I was just looking at the extended forecast and it appears to be a pretty wet week

FYI, I was just looking at the extended forecast and it appears to be a pretty wet week

If so, great. They NEED the rain.

Riding the passes in the wet isn't a big deal unless you are trying to set speed records. It does make the photo ops at the top of the passes go a bit faster. It's normally windy and in the high 30's on a clear day at the top of Engineer or equivalent. Add some rain....and let's just say you move a bit faster. :)

Should get the fires tamped down and it can cause the hotel rooms to get a bit rank with all the wet gear hanging to dry for the next day. Absolutely taking my boot dryer :)

No worries, all part of the adventure

:tab We usually do the small bikes the first day and then alternate between big and small the rest of the week. I was thinking Sunday we'd head up Corkscrew, over California Gulch to Placer Gulch and then Cinnamon. I don't really recall any of this being technical, other than there are some short steep sections, but nothing rough with rock crawling. We'd Grab lunch in Lake City then head up over Engineer, dropping down Mineral Creek to 550 just below Ouray. The only section that would be really hard on the GS would be that stretch of Engineer going down to US 550. You could instead just head on into Silverton and run 550 back up to Ouray. But, if you are heading to Creede, you could also just leave Lake City and head straight there after lunch, skipping the last part of the route.

That could easily work. I don't think the GS would have any problem with those passes except for Lower Engineer (down to 550) and even that wouldn't be so bad in that direction as it's downhill. I'd just have to take it slow. But...like you said....I could just separate at lunch and head over to Slumgullion pass to Creede on 149.

Of course....If the GS was all loaded down, it would be a bit harder....but I think it's still doable.

I'll connect with you as it gets closer and my plans and yours get a bit more firm but it sure sounds like a possibility and would be fun.

:tab It is the beginning of their "monsoon" season. It is of indefinite length and intensity. My local friends tell me it is not like the gulf coast thunderstorms in terms of rain intensity. It is more of just a normal rain. Many of the passes we'll be riding are wet whether it is raining or not, just because of snow melt and run off. However, unless it is literally flooding it is not a problem. The roads are not usually muddy, they're just rocky. Last time we went over Imogene Pass, it was beautiful at the bottom, then sleeting sideways at the top! The down side had an inch or so of snow/slush in the tire tracks. By the time we were halfway back down to Telluride, it was beautiful again. The weather can change quickly and unpredictably in the mountains. So you definitely want gear that can handle it.

:tab I have been in the area in mid April, June, July, August, and September. It has rained on me every single time. There have also been moments of serious cold each time, but the riding has always been great, on street or dirt.

Dang ! I wish my 1090R was set up and ready ! ! ! I'd meet you there if it were. Maybe next year if you go back....... If you do decide to go back next year, give me a 60 day heads up. That way I can let Mongo (my youngest son) know and he can put in for time off.

I rarely know what I am doing 60 days out! :lol2:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back