• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Riding / timing quandry

Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Loggins
Help me solve my quandry...

I need to get my GS to Austin during a weekday so Roger at OROR can help me tune my suspension. I work remotely so as long as I have internet, I can spend a day in Austin and not have to take a day off work. I'll just grab a hotel with points for a night and work out of the hotel the next day until about 3 and then get my bike to Roger for a tune. I'm not planning on a ride on the GS where I really need the suspension tuned until May so I have a bit of time to work with.

Here are the 3 options I'm considering.....
1.) Ride my GS to Austin on 3-27, spend the night, have it tuned on 3-28 and then continue to Strom a Thon from Austin after tuning on the 28-31st and I'd have the GS for Strom a Thon.
2.) Ride my GS to Austin on 4-3, spend the night, have it tuned on 4-4 and then ride back home on 4-4. I would take my KTM to Strom a Thon the prior week which was my original plan and frankly the entire reason I have the KTM is for street rides like that.
3.) Trailer my GS and KTM to Austin on 3-27, spend the night, have the GS tuned on 3-28 and then continue on to Strom a Thon pulling a trailer with both bikes and have both the GS and the KTM there to ride.

Option one is the most straight forward....but I'd really like to ride the KTM for the street riding I plan to do in Kerrville. As such, I think I'm leaning mostly to option 2 right now with the biggest disadvantage of option 2 is that it's 2 trips down south instead of just one. Option 3 gets me the best of both worlds and is by far the easiest solution....but I have to trailer the bikes and I generally prefer riding.

Thoughts?

That's a tough one. I'm still in the ride over trailer phase at this point, so I'd lean towards that one.

Also, I doubt you would get to stretch the legs of the KTM at Strom-A-Thon since I suspect most will be riding ADV bikes anyway.

That said, I wouldn't mind lining up the VFR and KTM somewhere just to see what 173hp looks like in action.

Is there anyone in your area or going through your area that is going to Strom-A-Thon and trailering down there? Could see if they would be willing to haul the KTM

Option 2 and take two separate scenic routes. Spring in the hill country is very nice. Most folk here complain they don’t get enough riding time and you could double yours. :rider:

How about trailer both bikes to Austin, leave the GS, truck and trailer at the shop and ride the KTM to the rally. Provided the shop is ok with you parking the rig there for a couple of days.

How about trailer both bikes to Austin, leave the GS, truck and trailer at the shop and ride the KTM to the rally. Provided the shop is ok with you parking the rig there for a couple of days.
Actually thought of that but Roger works out of his house so his neighbors probably wouldn't appreciate it much.

Option 2 and take two separate scenic routes. Spring in the hill country is very nice. Most folk here complain they don’t get enough riding time and you could double yours. :rider:
Agreed. Probably going to do that. An extra couple days of riding isn't a bad thing.

That's a tough one. I'm still in the ride over trailer phase at this point, so I'd lean towards that one.

Also, I doubt you would get to stretch the legs of the KTM at Strom-A-Thon since I suspect most will be riding ADV bikes anyway.

That said, I wouldn't mind lining up the VFR and KTM somewhere just to see what 173hp looks like in action.
Yep....and we'll get to see if I can shift fast enough manually to keep the hp advantage or if the DCT shifting makes up for the lower hp.

Will be fun. :)

New world problems for sure!

(I'm one to talk; had 2 bikes in Big Bend for what turned out to be only one day of riding.)
Yes.... definitely a nice problem to have and I'm not expecting too many people will feel sorry for me in my quandry. :)

I've decided to just do option 2 and get a second ride in. My wife told me that's what I would end up doing in the first place. I should have just listened to her. She knows me pretty well.

Back