• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Riding today?

Nope, wife was nice enough to let me use her truck. She hates the cold so she would not have gone anywhere anyways.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

WoodButcher

Admin
Working from home for me. Watching the news right now and there are some folks out crashing on the flyovers in Austin.

I remember having to ride my 1970 Royal Enfield in New Jersey for several miles when it was 5 degrees. Top sergeant made me move out from under a barracks stairwell where I had it stored. I thought my eyeballs were going to get frostbite. Cars have heaters and windshield for many good reasons.

So how's the weather down there, Rob? In Arlington, it's bitter cold, but no other problems. We heard the sleet falling last night, but there wasn't enough of it to leave residue on the garden beds.

Roads aren't bad here, but I did have to go out and pump gas for my wife. It was cold as ****! The pump was super slow. Not sure if it was jacked up or just cold. I ended up a place a block down the road for 10 cents a gallon more because the pumps worked. She was called into work or otherwise I wouldn't have had to fuss with it.

Roads are not bad at all, but they took a snow day for our school district.

Jeff S

Forum Supporter
Around me (central Austin) it sleeted for a little while earlier this morning. Some of that melted when it hit the road, then seems to have re-frozen, especially at intersections, curbs, etc. I just took my little pup out for a walk, and yeah, no way I'd take a bike out today.

Pumping gas may be the worst part of real winter. I used to have to go to Kansas City a lot on business. KC is a frozen wasteland in the winter time. Filling up a rent car in 0 degree weather, with the wind blowing across the "tundra" near KC International Airport was the absolute pits!

morfic

Forum Supporter
I decided I'll work from home today, garaged bike last night :/
Wasn't going to risk wrecking my Jeep either, I can remote in and will deal with being called a p#$$y for not showing up "because of a little ice"
Done it before, years ago, let boss talk me into showing up and mayor declared the city shut down minutes after arriving at work and we were all sent home, so we could drive home in the sleet.
Other time I was trapped at work in Geronimo as I10 froze over at night and I couldn't drive home to San Antonio until 11am (12h shift ended 6am), that sucked hard.

Those experiences shaped my reaction to forecasts.
I prefer to be wrong on the safe side now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

woodsguy

Forum Supporter
So how's the weather down there, Rob? In Arlington, it's bitter cold, but no other problems. We heard the sleet falling last night, but there wasn't enough of it to leave residue on the garden beds.
Very cold, but they're having a worse time in Houston than here. Had pretty good snow but was so wet it didn't stick. I45 seems to be worst.

Pumping gas may be the worst part of real winter. I used to have to go to Kansas City a lot on business. KC is a frozen wasteland in the winter time. Filling up a rent car in 0 degree weather, with the wind blowing across the "tundra" near KC International Airport was the absolute pits!
I always keep the truck running when pumping gas and stay in the AC or today, in the heat.

Just remember to ground yourself when you hop back out, which is nearly impossible not to by grabbing the door when you step out.

I rode to work and around today by choice haha. It was freezing. Took forever to warm the bike up and can't tell if it's colder going faster or slower hahaha!