• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Rio Bravo MX kid's track

jqueen

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
My son and I went to Rio Bravo on Sunday for a few hours. I got a lot of footage of him, and I thought I'd pass along my thoughts on the place.

The kid's track is small and very suitable for beginners. If they hit the jumps at speed in 2nd gear, they will get a little air, but not much. If they are still in 1st gear, no problem. There is only one section that goes between trees (like 6 feet wide), the rest of the track is open. If your kid can ride in the backyard, then they're ready for this track. (the only caveat is that everything could change if it was full of kids)

The trails were a little slick and I didn't take my son. They aren't bad trails, and if your kid has got the track down, they could try the trails. They're not really tight and technical, but there are some hazards for the kids, so be aware.

The adult tracks are nice - they aren't the typical new motocross track. The jumps don't get ridiculous high, and I was able to get a little bit of a rythym going in about half of the track. I cleared about 1/3 of the doubles and one of the tabletops regularly, and rolled over the rest. I have the "ability" to clear all the doubles, but not the nerve.

And here's the video (it's a little long, but I was making it for my son, not for you guys):

[ame="http://vimeo.com/42242111"]Rio Bravo 05-13-2012[/ame]

Last edited:
About 20 seconds in I thought you fell off your bike :lol2:

I noticed he is doing the same thing Daniel did when I rode with him, constantly looking back at me instead of where he's going :doh:

Where is this track? What's the cost of entry? I'm thinking Daniel and Sarah would love to ride there.

Oh yeah, the guy I just bought the TTR 50 from has a son that is trying to go pro this year. He also does dirt riding classes for little kids. I think he said $18/hr. He has his own MX track right next to his house. If there is interest, I was thinking we might be able to put together a TWT kids class.

Jacob is 10, on an XR70. He is getting better about not looking at me, but it's hard when he's being filmed! We are still working on several things, but right now our primary foci are staying loose (he has CP and has a hard time relaxing his muscles, so he tends to be locked to the bike) and using both brakes. I can get him to instinctively hit the front or the back with little effort, but he refuses to do both, even when practicing just for that.

Rio Bravo MX pulls up on google maps. The actual turn was right where it showed on the map, but only had a sign from one direction. They are only open some days, so check their website.

I would probably be interested in a kid's class if it was $18 an hour or so.

No, the website is just a little hard to read.. we had to pay $25 per person to go as non-members, or we could have joined up and paid $50 per person for that first trip, and then it would have been $15 per person after that. Not the cheapest trip in the world, especially with kids, but they do have a swimming pool, and non-riders are either free or cheaper, so you could make it a family trip..

you can buy a day pas for $25... or join for $50 a year, then pay $15 for each visit after joining....

(looks like I got beat to the post.... :lol: )

just got through showing my 8yr old your son's video.... he is ready to go to Rio....

Rio Bravo is one of the oldest and most histories MX tracks in Texas. It held some epic battles in the early years of MX and was my second home as a kid growing up in Houston hooked on MX

Cool video :thumb:
I showed it to my two year old. He said, "oooooooo motorcycle"
I'm getting him ready :mrgreen:

Back