• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Rio Grande river road from Candelaria to Esperanza?

Reaction score
I was checking out the road atlas last night and the river road that runs between 170 in Candelaria to Indian Hot Springs and on to 192 in Esperanza looks remote and interesting...

Has anyone here ridden that stretch? Is it a public road and if so I'd like to hear what it's like.

Thanks!

Joseph

You need to ark that in the dual sport section. I bet Teed or XR650Rocketman can answers.

Was talking to a friend that has a place down there this weekend , He said the National Guard has been doing a lot of upgrades to the roads , making it easyer for the border patrol to cover more ground , Guess I need to set aside some time and go look this winter . SEYA

Not been up that one but did ride Pinto Canyon to Marfa, nice open rock road for several miles before it turns back into asphalt.

Hey Cagiva - thanks!

Desert skies - a buddy emailed me about Pinto Canyon - looks like a good ride. Did you have a chance to explore some of the side roads off Pinto?

There is a side road to the hot springs off Pinto canyon road that takes you back to the highway a little north west of Riodosa , everything else that looks really awsome up in the canyon is private property . I talked to a land owner one time about riding some of them but he didn't offer me a key . I guess that was a no . SEYA

Hey Cagiva - thanks!

Desert skies - a buddy emailed me about Pinto Canyon - looks like a good ride. Did you have a chance to explore some of the side roads off Pinto?

Didn't get off PC Rd but if you have time, you could ride it to Marfa, head back south on 67 then hang a left on 169. I turns to dirt then you could go play in BB State Park before getting back to 170. Riding out of Terlingua would make the loop about 270 miles round trip (not including the plinking around in the State Park).

Much appreciated Desert Skies - I'm thinking of doing a trip into that area and may base out of Marfa for a night or two to explore around.

Google Earth shows a definite dirt road from Candelaria to Esperanza following the river - unclear whether it swings across the border and back and whether it is public access is a different matter. Looks like it would be a loooong lonely ride.

Would be cool if someone there knows ;-)

The largest water falls in Texas is up the road from Candelaria,,, going north, You have to follow the river and its on Private land,,,,,
I have been told by the Border patrol that there is a road the follows the river from Elpaso all the way to Candelaria,,,, I have never found it????
Two years ago I was down there on 169 and all the gates that were on 170 were LOCKED, I had to back track and came out at Shafter on 67..........
Mike

There is a side road to the hot springs off Pinto canyon road that takes you back to the highway a little north west of Riodosa , everything else that looks really awsome up in the canyon is private property . I talked to a land owner one time about riding some of them but he didn't offer me a key . I guess that was a no . SEYA

Didn't get off PC Rd but if you have time, you could ride it to Marfa, head back south on 67 then hang a left on 169. I turns to dirt then you could go play in BB State Park before getting back to 170. Riding out of Terlingua would make the loop about 270 miles round trip (not including the plinking around in the State Park).

The road south out of Marfa that hooks up with Casa Piedra is fun, but the State Park is not open to casual visitors. There is a lock at the gate and you have to stop at the Warnock Center of Leaton's Fort to get the combination. Also, there is no "play" in the park, only one major road that runs to Sauceda and back. It is not a loop, as shown on maps. It is locked out on the east end of the park.

To my knowledge, all side roads on Pinto Canyon Road, except the one to Chinati Hot Springs, are private.

I was checking out the road atlas last night and the river road that runs between 170 in Candelaria to Indian Hot Springs and on to 192 in Esperanza looks remote and interesting...

Has anyone here ridden that stretch? Is it a public road and if so I'd like to hear what it's like.

Thanks!

Joseph

Used to live in Presidio. Ride is all dirt road from Candyland on. The most you have to watch out for are border runners bringing in "wets" or pot. That area is routinely patroled by Mexican Federals on the south side of the river or border patrol on our side,. Alot of the times the Mexican Feds inadvertently (yeah , right) cross over so watch your step.

Thanks Buba! So the road does go through to Esperanza then? Maybe we should form a small cavalry unit of riders and ride the border sometime :trust:

Did you traverse the road there by chance?

Sounds like a very interesting run...

That road is NOT 170 northwest of Candelaria, no matter what it looks like on the map. It has fences across it & is under water most of the time.

Thanks Buba! So the road does go through to Esperanza then? Maybe we should form a small cavalry unit of riders and ride the border sometime :trust:

Did you traverse the road there by chance?

Sounds like a very interesting run...

Once I am back on the mainland plan on doing alot more riding. Want to go back south into Old Mexico and around. Will keep in contact till we return. Then can set up some rides in the south Texas and Mexico areas.

That road is NOT 170 northwest of Candelaria, no matter what it looks like on the map. It has fences across it & is under water most of the time.

Ok - had another rider email me that they had ridden the road a few years ago on XR's. Maybe it's been fenced since then?

Once I am back on the mainland plan on doing alot more riding. Want to go back south into Old Mexico and around. Will keep in contact till we return. Then can set up some rides in the south Texas and Mexico areas.

Sounds good!

Back