• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Road Rage in Colorado on I25

misterk

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Next time you get pissed at a car or truck consider if it is worth the price.

Read the follow up report to get the bigger picture. The biggest vehicle always wins!

Event

Follow up

I'd slap that driver with every charge possible.

There's a right way and a wrong way to handle yourself on the road, regardless of who did what.

Holy cow! I've seen road rage, but that is attempted murder!

So the truck cut at him, backed off, then came at him full force with intent to hit him. I'm guessing after the first swerve, but motorcyclist was annoyed and may have flipped him off. An easy reaction. The LAST thing you want to do is give an angry motorist any cause to get angrier. I've learned the hard way that my best reaction is no reaction; I stare straight ahead & pretend I don't even know the other guy is there.

Road rage needs to be treated as something more than a speeding ticket misdemeanor. The idea that "I was inconvenienced by having to touch my brakes and extend my trip for 3 seconds; therefore somebody must die!" is the mark of somebody who can't be trusted with a motor vehicle.

By the way, the crash was roughly at the exit where my kids live in CO; I'll be driving through that spot in about 12 hours. Carefully.

Last edited:
The report said they talked to him and released him. Which means he probably lied.

Then the dash cam footage appeared. Video is so important these days.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's why I stay off of highways and don't like riding close in groups. The bike had nowhere to go. They need to throw the book at that guy.

atgatt people, if you are going to antagonize Ken's (male version of Karen) gear up, that guy would have been a lot better off if he had a helmet and proper boots on.
he is extremely lucky to only have a fractured skull and not had his melon smashed.

That is insane, no sense of humanity with that guy.

That's why I stay off of highways and don't like riding close in groups. The bike had nowhere to go. They need to throw the book at that guy.
I prefer back roads as well, but honestly, if it's road rage that concerns you, a well traveled road with other riders and other motorist as witnesses is much safer.

Had this happened on some back road without anyone around, nobody would have called for help and the guy that did it probably would have likely gotten away.

I prefer back roads as well, but honestly, if it's road rage that concerns you, a well traveled road with other riders and other motorist as witnesses is much safer.

Had this happened on some back road without anyone around, nobody would have called for help and the guy that did it probably would have likely gotten away.
Good point, I had a similar experience a long time ago. My KLR'ER also does not have the gusto to hang in the interstate for long so that's out for me.

From Colorado Springs to Castle Rock is a bad stretch of highway. The driving is crazy aggressive every time I go through there. In fact, I went through this evening and I saw some scary aggressive driving, and some angry driving. There's a long stretch of construction and that makes aggressive drivers angry and even more aggressive. Castle Pines, where this happened, is just beyond the point where the construction finally clears out. From the interviews, my guess is the riders - who wouldn't be familiar with the area - got caught in a lane pinch and moved in front of the truck. Or traffic suddenly went from 70 down to 40 and they swerved into the truck's lane (that happened to me twice earlier this evening). Some people go crazy at the drop of a hat. If the police find him, which they very likely will, he'll have about 10 years to work on anger management in his 8x10 cell.

From Colorado Springs to Castle Rock is a bad stretch of highway. The driving is crazy aggressive every time I go through there. In fact, I went through this evening and I saw some scary aggressive driving, and some angry driving. There's a long stretch of construction and that makes aggressive drivers angry and even more aggressive.

It's funny you say this. We drove through there last September when were considering moving to Denver and I thought we had entered the Twilight Zone. I couldn't figure out why all the drivers suddenly got so aggressive. Really, crazy, unpredictable driving unlike anything I have seen. We almost had a wreck. My GF was sleeping and my hard, evasive action, that saved us from a bad crash, woke her up. She got on to me for driving poorly. I was trying to defend myself saying, "it's not me, it's them!" She was not buying it :)

There is a good alternative between Castle Rock and South Denver, called Perry Park Rd unless you are in a hurry. Very scenic and curvy. Comes out in Sedalia, off of 85 (South Santa Fe). Hwy 85 is a good alternative too, but just regular highway traffic. Between Castle Rock and Colorado Springs, around Larkspur (is that still a place?), traffic gets pretty agressive too. And, in the winter there is always Monument Hill, avoid that like the plague. Anything along the front range, until you get south of Pueblo has always been a mess.

I remember when you were talking about that. Yeah, Co Springs to south Denver is a demolition derby. I've never seen so many angry drivers in one place, except on LBJ - and they're harmless because LBJ is so gridlocked they can't go fast enough to hurt anybody.

Last night, north of Monument, I was in the construction area, and the left lane closed out. Mind you, they had flashing lights that could be seen from outer space, so there was no real surprise. But pretty quickly, the traffic in my lane was slowing from 60 down to about 10 - and I was towing a motorcycle trailer. As the lane ran out, and I was braking pretty quickly for the people ahead, this fool passed me about 20 mph faster than I was going, dodged in at point blank range, and nailed his brakes. Sadly, that isn't a rare occurrence on that stretch.

I don't see the driving being ultra aggressive everywhere in the area - just on that piece of I-25. Kind of like I-20 from Duncanville to Arlington about 6:30pm, when the major rush hour is over and the Type-A personalities are on their way home from work.

Anyway, my guess is this lunatic pickup truck driver in the video was already amped up because of traffic problems, and these riders accidentally got into his gun sights by reacting to a lane closure, lane dodge, sudden traffic braking, or any of a number of scenarios that are common as dirt on that stretch. Now that I'm in the area permanently, I'll be watching local news to see if there are any followups.

Joe, I'm aware of the road that comes out in Sedalia (about 3 miles from my kids' house) and I expect to use it frequently. In fact, when my kids towed my camping trailer up for me 3 months ago, I set that route up for them so that they could avoid towing the trailer through "the narrows" - the area north of Monument where I25 narrows down to two skinny lanes with zero-clearance concrete barriers right up against the lanes. Yesterday evening a car in front of me, driving too fast, scraped one of those walls on a dogleg curve, and earned himself a Darlington stripe on the right side of his Jetta.

@tshelfer get yourself a 5ton and own the road. :nana:
We have an on ramp in Denton that is extremely short and no one gets over. One day I saw a 5 ton go screaming on the interstate and even the 18 wheelers could not get out of his way fast enough.

Found a local followup story today, including an interview with the victim's brother. They had been up at Sturgis - a once in a lifetime event for them (let's not get started on Sturgis, please) - and were on their way home. So they were SOUTHbound out of Denver, and construction frustration wasn't a factor. It was during the day and traffic was reasonably light. According to the brother, this was just a lane change. They were starting to change lanes & the pickup truck sped up to block them. So they sped up & got in front of him anyway. The guy said "There was miles of open highway ahead of us; no reason not to be able to share the road." One of the riders did chase down the pickup, and he eventually stopped. The police investigated & sent him home without an immediate ticket. But now all this video has surfaced, and they're taking a much closer look.

Frankly, I had a somewhat similar situation a couple of years ago on Loop 820 south. I came up the ramp and merged into traffic. The SUV (probably 10 yards behind me) blew his cork and started making strafing runs on my tail. I pretended not to notice him; that usually diffuses things. But he kept threatening me from behind, then got beside me, screamed, waved lots of fingers, honked, made a couple of veers over the edge of the lane marker. I just looked straight ahead, but he wouldn't give up. I was in the left lane by now. This went on from NE Mall down to south of I-30, when a couple of cars in the vicinity realized how potentially dangerous the situation was. They teamed up, blocked the SUV, and slowed him down while I just kept on moving with traffic. No harm done, but that was really scary, and I didn't have any good ideas, including taking to an exit, that might not facilitate an off-highway confrontation.

That's why I like having a reasonably fast and nimble bike on the highway. Easy to quickly put some miles between you and the problem.

That's why I like having a reasonably fast and nimble bike on the highway. Easy to quickly put some miles between you and the problem.

True dat, Jarrett. But based on the video, I'd say that had done exactly that - put down some miles, and probably thought the situation had diffused.

i had a driver (with his family) chase me down 1-30 just west of Hope, AR one day. The guy was screaming at me and swerving, acting like he was going to try and run me off the road. I hit 120+ mph for a couple of miles to put some distance between us then slowed back down to about 80 or a little above and thought i would not see him again. A couple minutes later there he was again in my rearview. Thankfully i had some well placed 18 wheelers that helped me out. They let me pass then locked both lanes slowing traffic behind to 65...

No issues with you or anybody else carrying. But for the guy on I-25 last week, it would have made absolutely no difference.

Even living here in the immediate area, I haven't seen, heard, or read any follow-up stories on the incident.

I have had an encounter similar years ago but I was on a remote highway and the vehicle hassling me was a semi truck. I had committed no offense against him and it was malicious intent on his part. I did not draw a weapon fully on him but after flashing it he backed off. I was at the point that I was ready to draw and shoot as he had just gotten about 2 foot off my back tire even when I had gotten fully to the side of the road.
Scary stuff for sure.

Back