• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Road rally /timed event

GRU

Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Last Name
Grundy
I don’t know the name, but it’s a rally where you are timed for a centen distance, and scroll maps are used to follow the rout. Anyone know what this is called? Thanks Phil

I believe it's called the Big Bend Open Road Race between Fort Stockton and Sanderson Texas

Last edited:
I don't know the answer, but I do know that I am curious.. Tell more when you find out what your looking for.

Last edited:
Yes TSD, SCCA does road rally’s like this, where you have to observe the speed limit, and follow a course on a pre done sheet or scroll, and it’s scored by time and distance, based on local speed limits.

I don’t know the name, but it’s a rally where you are timed for a centen distance, and scroll maps are used to follow the rout. Anyone know what this is called? Thanks Phil

An article from a few years ago that explains rally racing:

You gonna put one together GRU? Sounds like fun! Also I've seen versions where you have to make it to certain points of interest and take a photo to prove you were there. Those points get added to your final score.

wow. Sounds like a fun thing to do. It seems like a civil, law abiding ride would be a great thing to join if one pops up. Significantly exceeding speed limits in the police state of TX for any length of time seems like it would get pricey in tickets :-) Heck even basic long distance riding seems to test my luck without a radar detector.

There used to be a group of legendary real fast folks in the late 80's/90's that did a "century" type, illegal ride to get into the "club" out on skyline and 84 down from Alices restaurant to the coast in northern Ca. It required rediculous speeds to be successful, and they were the real deal, hard core canyon carvers and some of the wilder AMA guys. I was told you would need to maintain something over 100 mph over long sections of the route to be successful.

It would not have been physically possible on the bikes most of us owned back then, for me, a CB750f and a R/90/6, and finally graduating to a CBR 1000 hurricane, yet folks tried. It was not publicized much for obvious reasons, more of a folklore deal, but real apparently, and on roads where riders died nearly every week. Redwood trees are to this day very unyielding objects.

Thumbs up to anyone who organizes a sane ride mere mortals can have fun on!

You gonna put one together GRU? Sounds like fun! Also I've seen versions where you have to make it to certain points of interest and take a photo to prove you were there. Those points get added to your final score.
These variants of motorcycle rally riding seem to be more common for those that tend to stick to paved surfaces - as much as possible, anyway.

Sadly, there's not really a comprehensive listing of these types of rallies. A partial listing/place to sign up | get information is here:

https://rides.jasonjonas.com/

Note there is an upcoming ride there in Texas: https://www.heartoftexasrally.com/

Back