• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Road ratings

Hmm

Reaction score
My wife told me about a "motorcycle road" that she had driven and this weekend, I got to drive it wishing that I was on the bike. It had 49 curves in 8.8 miles making it fairly interesting. 49/8.8 = 5.56 CPM which I think we should use as a road rating factor. I'm glad that I have got my wife "trained" to watch for roads like this. Plenty of curves for interesting riding and decent enough surface for street riding since I don't do dirt.

We took a trip to Fredericksburg this weekend and the ride from Luling to Fredericksberg were a nice change of pace from I10. Sadly we were in the truck.

Hmm. I like the idea of CPM. A validity check....Tail of the Dragon is 318/11 = 28.9 CPM. I haven't ridden it...are all curves created equal?

The geek in me says its a multivariable formula to rate a road. Curves are important. But so is elevation change. So elevation change per mile should be added in also. And if it's got smooth asphalt, big score. But some may say dirt gives it a higher rating. Can we agree grooved pavement or lots of cow crossing grates should lower the score? šŸ˜

Dirt could be higher or lower, depending on your pref. Grooved pavement or chip seal is a big detractor. There's also the scenery factor and the pucker factor. It gets too complicated in a hurry, so maybe just stick to CPM.

Reactions: Hmm
Jeff and I need to count the turns on the dirty dragon we found in North Carolina.

I would think that the Dragon would be one of the highest CPM roads in the US with it being 6 times better than PR 37.

There is something about the 5.56 number that is appealing besides riding too.

The dragon varies widely on how good it is dependent on traffic and if you have any vertigo issues.
It is much better middle of the week than on weekends, and late at night it rocks.

So many other roads around that area that rate very high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back