• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Roaming Wyoming 701ing

The Christmas vacation one is CLASSIC. But my fave Christmas movie is How The Grinch Stole Christmas. The original of course.

I have seen the chevychase movies where the family goes to the California amusement park and the one where they go to Europe.

Enough of this I want to hear about Roaming in Wyoming!

No roaming yet, stationary. We decided it would be more fun to replace rear axle bearings and seals. The struggle is real. We will prevail.

1597938167804.jpeg

Oh, man. I am sorry you're having trouble getting started, as I was eager to start reading about that Wyoming ride!

Sounds like you can see a little humor there. When I saw the photo of your truck, trailer, load and "stuff", it reminded me of a line from a Delbert McClinton song, "...it'll hang you up, dealing with too much stuff"!

On the other hand, one could just go out to the graj, hop on a suitable bike, and go :bigokay:...

But like you said, you will prevail.

Last edited:
It's all part of the adventure. :lol2: At least it looks like you are somewhere that you can deal with it.

We decided it would be more fun to replace rear axle bearings and seals.
I am putting less and less faith in your 500/701 comparisons and thoughts, considering now what we see is your idea of "Fun," because it's quite a bit different from my definition. :D

Hope you are back on the road quickly.

Not having it....

1597953952739.jpeg

I smelled 90 weight when we got to my nephew’s father in law house last night, Big Mikes, pretended it was his old 12 valve dodge sitting next to us and just drank beer. Came out this morning and there was a small puddle at the left rear tire. Right was starting to go. We were fortunate for it to all go down there. Big Mike is a retired master mechanic gear head guru, and rides a KX 500. Tore it down, will need bearings as well. Nappa no have, Advanced no have, Nissan no longer sells the seals and bearings, have to buy entire axle assembly. They had them, $700 a piece. Called ORileys in last ditch effort, and they had it all, $100 with brake pads. Took them to friend of Mikes that has a full shop and let us use his tools, got the bearings off and pressed the new stuff on. 5 hours start to finish.

1597954031212.jpeg

Back in the fight. We don’t take no lip from no bartenders neither.

1597954069167.jpeg

Wyoming is here, we made it to Lander. A lot later in the day, so we decided to snag a little cabin and we launch in the morning on the bikes. Snagged the below pic at Split Rock along the highway in Wyoming, a cool landmark past adventurers used on the Oregon Trail as well as a Pony Express.

?temp_hash=7cfcd261217d6d009810a725053eaa3b.png

Last edited:
Got to see a cool thing thing this morning. Right out the gate we passed by The Sinks, where the middle fork of the Popo Agie River flows until it disappears into a large cave, then re-emerges a quarter mile away at The Rise. That flow should happen pretty quick at that distance, but the US Geological Survey done in 1983 showed the dye they put in took 2 hours to pop back up. And there is more water rising out of the other side than went in, as well as warmer.

1598038479580.jpeg

1598038512973.jpeg

We pulled out of there and the 690 died, dead, nothing. Spent some time troubleshooting, fuses, relays, replaced spark plug, nothing conclusive. Thought we had no spark.

1598038564669.jpeg

We weren’t far from truck so I doubled back and got the truck. Went back to Lander, some guys from a local shop got some intel and helped us troubleshoot further. Stator checked good, spark tested good with a cool tool. Fuel pump does power up, compression 40, that raises eye brows. We gave up, nephew moved all his stuff over to the kawi. Hit the reset button at Lander Brewing Co where his good friend David is the brew master. Now we snagging supplies for camp cooking tonight and heading into the Wind River Range. The show must go on.

Attachments

• 1598038403710.jpeg
    1598038403710.jpeg
    720.3 KB · Views: 185
  • 1598038864507.jpeg
    1598038864507.jpeg
    615.9 KB · Views: 177
Got to see a cool thing thing this morning. Right out the gate we passed by The Sinks, where the middle fork of the Popo Agie River flows until it disappears into a large cave, then re-emerges a quarter mile away at The Rise. That flow should happen pretty quick at that distance, but the US Geological Survey done in 1983 showed the dye they put in took 2 hours to pop back up. And there is more water rising out of the other side than went in, as well as warmer.

View attachment 271457

View attachment 271458
We pulled out of there and the 690 died, dead, nothing. Spent some time troubleshooting, fuses, relays, replaced spark plug, nothing conclusive. Thought we had no spark.

View attachment 271459

We weren’t far from truck so I doubled back and got the truck. Went back to Lander, some guys from a local shop got some intel and helped us troubleshoot further. Stator checked good, spark tested good with a cool tool. Fuel pump does power up, compression 40, that raises eye brows. We gave up, nephew moved all his stuff over to the kawi. Hit the reset button at Lander Brewing Co where his good friend David is the brew master. Now we snagging supplies for camp cooking tonight and heading into the Wind River Range. The show must go on.
I sure hope @dirtyrider doesn't see this post .[emoji32]

Back