• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Roaming Wyoming 701ing

Somewhere in here things got more sinister, bikes were working hard, we were working hard, some bike drops taking a toll, steep switchbacks going down....

1598583400974.jpeg

1598583315260.jpeg

Then as we pushed through it, try and do this with a fading clutch, 690 strikes again. I would guess the fluid is crap, and with the really hot bike the fluid was not hydraulicing well. You play the games you have to in this situation, using hills to take breaks etc.

1598581992983.jpeg

Then we came to a deep looking little creek and a wider crossing than the norm. We already knew some quads had made it that we passed on the trail, but that is a different animal. I was the guinea pig since my clutch was 100%. Picked my line, went for it. I made it, it was pretty deep, rocks were crazy slimy, some dabbing was happening, cold dabbing.

1598582086936.jpeg

And then.....let’s just say the 690 didn’t make it. Pic from the driver seat as he used his head to test water depth. Apparently it is eye ball deep, I couldn’t get back there fast enough to record, I mean help.

1598582127337.jpeg

But he got lucky, picked it up quick, pushed it out of the deeper stuff and then we both got it up the bank. The good part was the direction it went down and that it was dead when it went down, the filter wasn’t even really wet, it fired up with some persuasion. I was shocked we got that lucky considering:

1598582194080.jpeg

Might not want to take a GS1200 past this gate, just saying.

1598583017049.jpeg

After that, we called it on the hard stuff, time to back off since the clutch was being flaky and neither one of us wanted more drama....and we were a little whooped.We took Red Grade Rd over to Bear Lodge and hit reset with a late 2pm lunch.

1598582468766.jpeg

After lunch we took pavement out of the area via Shell Canyon, got rained on a bit. We stopped to look at the falls.

1598583600853.jpeg

1598583629850.jpeg

We decided to make Worland home for the night, making for an easier day tomorrow. Chilled out having dinner with some family and we are settled in for the last night “on the trail” at the Days Inn. It is magical what a good hot shower can do to a weary traveler.

Attachments

• 1598582596817.jpeg
    1598582596817.jpeg
    540.3 KB · Views: 179
Today’s track was beautiful country for sure. The riding looks good too.

I think old Grapeape was trying to cool that clutch slave off. He didn’t really go down.

We got moving early out of Worland. Had over a 100 mile pavement ride. About half of it was enjoyable, Wind River Canyon was nice.

1598651676429.jpeg

1598651706091.jpeg

1598651774479.png

Made it back to the truck/trailer and boogied on down the road. Passing through Denver now. It’s all over but the crying.

1598651818014.jpeg

You’ve come far pilgrim. I am feeling lucky as I think about what we just did regardless of the road trip pain to get to and from the “good stuff”. The American West is a gift, and we tore the wrapping paper off that dude this week. You always want more….but I am forcing myself to see the good fortune in what I got. Self, you had a good time. Catch yall on the next ride.

What a great adventure!

I recall taking a friend's aluminum canoe down through Wind River Canyon...when it took on water, it wallered like a GS on one of those trails you rode - with the same result: We went over and knocked a hole in it!

Thanks for reporting so religiously and keeping us enthralled!

Last edited:
Most excellent! :clap:

I've only been up in that area once, back in 2017 for the Best of Montana ADV ride. About half of the ride was in Wyoming. I did it all on my 500 EXC, but there were places where it would have been nice to have a magic button to make it change to my 1200 GS. We didn't get into any trails though, just some rough two track stuff, but not quite as nasty as some of that stuff you were doing! We were on a KTM 500 EXC, 450 EXC, and two 690s. Other than a flat or two on the 690s, we didn't have any issues at all. Of the 50+ riders attending the event, I would venture to guess that more than half were on either 690s or 701s, with the 500s being the next most prevalent bike. The days of the KLR 650s having the dominating presence at events like these are long gone... :zen:

That reminds me of how I used to pack my KLR, heavy and up high. Getting that weight down lower made a HUGE difference!! I am sure you already know that though and were just dealing with what you had for the little KLX. I am just glad you were able to keep things going. My KLR suffered some serious subframe issues on a trip through the Arizona deserts under similar loading conditions. We spent the better part of a day at various auto parts places and an ATV shop getting it repaired. Later in the week a foot peg sheared right off when I whacked a big rock. We actually managed to find an auto repair shop open on Memorial Day weekend. The guy was trying to catch up on work and normally would not have been open. He let us use an empty bay and his tools, then tried to refuse any payment. The local Honda dealer wouldn't even consider helping us and basically told us to get lost.

I would love to get back up to the Wyoming/Montana area again. It really has a lot of everything for adventure riders of all levels and the scenery is just epic!

There was also this little burger/malt shop on the East end of town in Shoshoni that had incredibly good ice cream made from milk at a local dairy/creamery,

Philly's & Cream

I got an incredible burger here before heading to Philly's & Cream

KT's Grab N' Grub

But they had no seating anywhere. I stuffed the burger in my bag and joined the other guys at Philly's & Cream.

Most excellent! :clap:

I've only been up in that area once, back in 2017 for the Best of Montana ADV ride. About half of the ride was in Wyoming. I did it all on my 500 EXC, but there were places where it would have been nice to have a magic button to make it change to my 1200 GS. We didn't get into any trails though, just some rough two track stuff, but not quite as nasty as some of that stuff you were doing! We were on a KTM 500 EXC, 450 EXC, and two 690s. Other than a flat or two on the 690s, we didn't have any issues at all. Of the 50+ riders attending the event, I would venture to guess that more than half were on either 690s or 701s, with the 500s being the next most prevalent bike. The days of the KLR 650s having the dominating presence at events like these are long gone... :zen:

That reminds me of how I used to pack my KLR, heavy and up high. Getting that weight down lower made a HUGE difference!! I am sure you already know that though and were just dealing with what you had for the little KLX. I am just glad you were able to keep things going. My KLR suffered some serious subframe issues on a trip through the Arizona deserts under similar loading conditions. We spent the better part of a day at various auto parts places and an ATV shop getting it repaired. Later in the week a foot peg sheared right off when I whacked a big rock. We actually managed to find an auto repair shop open on Memorial Day weekend. The guy was trying to catch up on work and normally would not have been open. He let us use an empty bay and his tools, then tried to refuse any payment. The local Honda dealer wouldn't even consider helping us and basically told us to get lost.

I would love to get back up to the Wyoming/Montana area again. It really has a lot of everything for adventure riders of all levels and the scenery is just epic!

There was also this little burger/malt shop on the East end of town in Shoshoni that had incredibly good ice cream made from milk at a local dairy/creamery,

Philly's & Cream

I got an incredible burger here before heading to Philly's & Cream

KT's Grab N' Grub

But they had no seating anywhere. I stuffed the burger in my bag and joined the other guys at Philly's & Cream.
Good stuff, thanks for the reply. My nephew's KLX wasn't ideal, he never figured he would actually ride it up there. He forgot his giant loop coyote bag to use on it if the 690 failed. He made the best of it....and covered over 600 miles with that less than desirable loading. I've gone to great lengths on both my bikes to lighten the load and keep it low, always a good thing. I love the 701, but I think it is going to go live somewhere else. The 500 will never leave my side. Future addition will be a twin, not sure which one yet. Analysis paralysis 😁

You couldn't have told me, you didn't put 6000 miles on one using it for it's intended purpose....and I am not talking about pie runs :lol2:.
It came along at the right time for the right price. Now I am ready for a new drug.

No they are all too far away. Nobody wants to ride with me.
It's too hot to ride.
I don't feel like washing my bike. I don't like pie. My wife won't let me. Okay the last one was a lie.

You come to TAR and ride with JT and me. And Monica.

I am jonesing again, hard. Wish I could wiggle my nose and be back there. Hold on........

254830-44235042f9075eff1b6d3c4291b43ca6.gif

deep from the archives, never before seen footage......

1601049120223.png

1601049152525.png

1601049175465.png

1601049217725.png

1601049240697.png

1601049263778.png

1601049285544.png

1601049918451.png

1601049308673.png

1601049330297.png

1601049353803.png

That will have to do for now.....till next month......feeling some desert coming on. Big Bend me.

Attachments

• Nose.gif
    Nose.gif
    488 KB · Views: 172
701 for sale......

Back