• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Roll the Bones IV

Thanks, DRZBri. Every time I saw you it looked like you had found your "peeps". And remember , it was you who helped me scout the single most favored RTB4 Rally Raid road. Where I promptly ejected my iPhone from its Ram iPhone ejector. Never to be seen again . :)

Got any contacts at the NSA? Maybe they could track it for ya?!;-)

Scouting is the most fun part for me. I love putting my routes together and driving TXjames nuts with endless changes . The Rally days themselves can get just a little bit in the way of my un-interrupted riding. BTW, Veriest1 found the road. But I got there as fast as I could. ;)

Anybody know who George is on here? He sent me a txt but it never went through. Once George realized I was "that guy" and lived near him, he immediately set off on a mission to get me and the bike home no matter what. I was quite ready to have the wife unit come down in my truck with ramps, but nothing would stop him. He took off and got a trailer from uhaul, and then returned and kept me laughing/beered up until it was time to go. Of course, he kept declining compensation for his efforts or even part of the trailer costs. What a guy! Instead of cringing while hobbling home on my bike, or waiting all night for the cavalry, I spent a couple hours laughing and talking about God, quesadillas, and stray dogs. A good day!

Marine George and his mighty KLR:

044_zpsd49659d5.jpg

Everyone really went out of their way for me, almost to the point of me feeling pretty embarrassed. Good people I tell you.

The fella in black helmet who dropped his xr400 to come help me (I know we talked for hours and I told you I would forget your name, I forgot almost everyone's name.)even offered up his cabin to me.

Fantastic time. Met lots of great people and had some great riding. Many thanks to the hosts and helpers for making it so enjoyable!

Here's one of the better pics we got of my bike:

rtb-1-L.jpg

The GoPro video is fun to watch. Will have to cut the good part into a short clip.

Oh, yeah. Forgot this little tidbit at the Stupid Early Riders Meeting. Watch out for deep sand on the abandoned road. Hey. Better late than never, right, Cykel?

The fella in black helmet who dropped his xr400 to come help me (I know we talked for hours and I told you I would forget your name, I forgot almost everyone's name.)even offered up his cabin to me.

There's footage in this clip of that xr400 climbing the hill. I agree, he was a super cool guy.I wish I could remember his name.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2YIp4ptHcI&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]RTB IV: KLR, XR400, and KTM on the hill.mp4 - YouTube[/ame]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

Sure was glad that the headlight that left it's housing still worked. It was needed for my longest night ride in the rain and fog, but that did not even dampen the enjoyment of the rally. What a great group of missfits and each of us know this is the type of group that we fit.

SOG, your PM box is full, but the answer is "sure thing" as long as you don't have any time critical things (I'm offline a few days at a time.)

Had a great time! Many thanks to Dody and SOG and all the other volunteers it takes to put on an event of this magnitude.

I didn't take enough pictures as is always the case. Here's a couple.

Clean bikes to start
10527424775_42da0e077d.jpg

Rib Run
10527432395_9ff8eba83b.jpg

10527440365_54ac6afee8.jpg

10527461596_51f1750ccd.jpg

Just outside of Blum
10527445995_f27776555a.jpg

10527466996_0e5fb9f020.jpg

We swear we did the dirty raid the right direction, but ended up at the burger shack 20 miles from the end somehow
10527477736_65892ca6f0.jpg

Definitely need these on this trip!
10527513274_6d8056d64e.jpg

Playing in Little Utah on the way back
10527521944_7fd4a34d68.jpg

10527479975_600652d63d.jpg

10527493255_96f67e7a5e.jpg

So I got a late start, about 10 AM because since I waited to put my new tire on until the night before, I pinched my tube of course. But that's because I neglected to use the right technique, putting a softly inflated tube in the tire, then putting the rim on.

So, based on some old tracks from Mudclod, and some other older RTB tracks I put together a route that unbeknown to me ran me right throught the middle of Fort Hood! None of these roads were closed, and I only came on to a couple of uniformed guys at one check point where I had to turn around. Along the side of the road were big muddy tank tracks and I also passed numerous training and shooting ranges.

RTB3XRR_zpsbc9cedcd.jpg

The ride up was perfect, clear just a bit chilly the bike very happy. All the rain really greened up the fields! While my route up was mostly
paved, they were excellent back roads with no traffic!

RTB4XRR_zpsaa607321.jpg

Roll the Bones HQ, just off of Hyway 22, is an excellent location! Its at the edge of Lake Whitney, which is way down maybe 20 feet off normal.
Little Rocky Lodge and Resort was our party palace for the weekend, and the owner, who is Eastern European was excited to have all these bikes in!
This venue is real cozy and comfortable making for some great socializing and hanging out.
The turn in is a bit hard to spot, and its a short jaunt down a residential street before you it the Lodge at the end of the road.
The cabins were built in the 1950s, there is room for camping, and the cooking/hang out spot is centrally located. Word is this has been quite the
location for folks from Dallas to come down and fish, for years and years.

RTB2_zpsf9365982.jpg

GhostRider and his crew served up some awesome food, it was no disappointment! What a bargan, GhostRider really shows a ton of Texas style hospitality.

RTB10_zps3292acb2.jpg

RTB12_zps92fea99a.jpg

RTB8_zps7aadc218.jpg

I rolled out real early, like 7:30 while SOG read the riot act to the other inmates at the riders meeting....I was specting to get over run
by hoards of DS riders, but I was on my own most all the way! The riding is a great mix of back country paved roads, graded gravel,
actual dirt roads, and a couple of major mud pits, which I managed to avoid.

I enjoyed this dirt road that turned off between some fields, it reminded me of far West Texas!

RTB5XRR_zps83aadadc.jpg

RTB6XRR_zps1d08f4be.jpg

Numerous dual sport riders checked into this nice spot, and were greeting by one lone cook/waitress who said everyone else that works there
got so drunk the night before, she was the only one that came in....she made a call and dragged the owner in....the burgers were good home style cookin
from what I heard.

RTB7_zpsd7a60869.jpg

I managed to make it to Loco Coyote BBQ, and met up with some riders. Its some of the best BBQ Ive had and the service is very friendly. Warning the portions are Texas size and
will leave you in a coma. I had to take half back for dinner later! http://www.letseat.at/lococoyotegrill

On Steiner Valley Ranch I ran into this couple on their BMW side hack rig, the road on the Rance is excellent, beautiful views.

RTB6_zps75f62f25.jpg

I managed to snap a few other riders too:

RTB5_zps84e5cae1.jpg

RTB4_zps9689a655.jpg

Sweet rusty tractor, some how kind of fits with my XRR, both are at home in rural Texas.

RTB7XRR_zpsd0cb04b1.jpg

Recent rains made the roads perfect, and greened up things, along with some nice wild flowers.

RTB2XRR_zpsfa5080a9.jpg

Back at the crib, things were rocking and rolling....SoloRider has his Ural really sorted now!

RTB9_zps0b5dcd22.jpg

The sexist bike, a very awesome Rothmans decked out TransAlp! The owner actually found it on Ebay, and later scored a matching Rothmans leather jacket.

RTB15rotha_zps2f9cf73f.jpg

RTB15roth_zpsea7c1f4d.jpg

RTB13_zpsb4ba559f.jpg

Good to see some great friends and people rocking the RDS beanies!

RTB17rds_zps5a73ac21.jpg

Of course Brad broke out the Cowboy wok, getting everyone breakfast then teaching his skills class for anyone that wanted in the sand pit!

RTB16brad_zps1b4eb158.jpg

Part of the crew that put on such a great event!

RTB1_zps1472a767.jpg

The weather held out till later Sat night when big thunderstorms, lighting hit.....enough shelter was available, and the rain got real heavy
at night....pounding down with thunder and lightening! My tent held up well a small wet spot in the end where my bag was pushed up
on at the end, but I stayed dry. In the morning Starbucks Via powered coffee was a life saver!

GhostRider really has turned on a lot of people to some hidden gems in Texas. Fantastic roads, no traffic, and lots of great people to hang out with!
Lets pitch in and help make it happen again next year!

This was my first ride with RTB and had a good time for sure! Here is a short clip of the only video worth sharing. We ended up 1st on this section of the Dirty and ran into the downed tree. Took a few min to get the bypass cleared out and on we went. Hope everyone found the trail..

[ame="http://vimeo.com/77940264"]Roll The Bones 2013 on Vimeo[/ame]

Thanks Dody and Crew for a great time.
The riding and the food were both awesome.
The Fireworks Show Saturday Night must have been something out of this World. Even though I had already bedded down in my little tent right by the Lake, I got the full enjoyment of the flashes and the booming sound reverberating from the Rock Canyon below. Amazing !

You guys showed that Roll the Bones Cares! :clap:

Here's the intrepid travler on his dl650 working his way up Arkysaw Hill.

If you missed the chance to talk to him you missed out. He's supposed to be making a ride report over on The Mothership.

He said something about being on the road for 3 months at some point and when asked how he was going home he said, "I'm not." This guy is livin' it.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRqzIZSS0f4&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]RTB IV: V-Strom goes up Arkysaw Hill.mp4 - YouTube[/ame]

In OTHER news I talked to Slowoldguy last night and we schemed up a couple of treacherous ideas for the little bikes and those making the cry for more technical terrain.

In short RTB V will be amazing and include something we've never before.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

Interesting in that some folks thought some of the stuff was TOO technical and some thought not Technical enough:sun: Arkysaw hill proved to be pretty technical for newer riders and large bikes and Polaris Rangers:eek2: Several riders told me they would not have survived short of the Riding class on Friday with UlyBrad(MANY THANKS TO BRAD!!!)

Speaking of which, Brad will be doing a FULL clinic at the Ghost Ranch in November or early December. It will be limited to 8 students. The price and date will be annouced soon.

For next year, I will try to get Brad to teach again. I will put together a Noob Trail(Yardracer special;-)). For those who want to be challenged I will build the trail from HADES including single track;-)

Oh, I forgot to thank Brad for his Sand 101 Class !

Thanks Brad, I had a great time and learned a lot! :clap:

Sand is not sooo bad! :trust: :lol2: :rider:

Here's the intrepid travler on his dl650 working his way up Arkysaw Hill.

If you missed the chance to talk to him you missed out. He's supposed to be making a ride report over on The Mothership.

He said something about being on the road for 3 months at some point and when asked how he was going home he said, "I'm not." This guy is livin' it.

RTB IV: V-Strom goes up Arkysaw Hill.mp4 - YouTube

Alexander Rae. He is living large. ;)

Just wanted to say thanks to the staff that put this all together. They are getting better every year. Personally, I preferred this years venue compared to years past.

Speaking of which, Brad will be doing a FULL clinic at the Ghost Ranch in November or early December. It will be limited to 8 students. The price and date will be annouced soon.

If this becomes quarterly, that would be awesome. Sadly, I'm grounded for the most part until spring due to work, but I wish I could. ;) I for some reason I get a flight pass, I may come down just to hang out and give a helping hand anywhere needed. I've heard nothing but great things about those who took Brad's mini class, and know he's a great guy from other riding events. Just watch just stories.

Sent by my NSA monitored Verizon Galaxy Nexus.

Interesting in that some folks thought some of the stuff was TOO technical and some thought not Technical enough:sun: Arkysaw hill proved to be pretty technical for newer riders and large bikes and Polaris Rangers:eek2: Several riders told me they would not have survived short of the Riding class on Friday with UlyBrad(MANY THANKS TO BRAD!!!)

For next year, I will try to get Brad to teach again. I will put together a Noob Trail(Yardracer special;-)). For those who want to be challenged I will build the trail from HADES including single track;-)

if i'm off the week he chooses to do it, i want one of the spots!! i need some help handling that big heavy bike. especially in sand.

so you love me after all......lol

I REALLY loved the route Tom made for me including the water and the yikes moments!!!!!

And I had a MOST excellent leader in Kaiser!!!!! He was perfect!!!!!!!

I will show up for that class to watch and help!!!

Michaela's Big Adventure route was a hit for everybody from the Noobs to the Pros. Glad to write it for you. It looks like you had a grand time . ;)

Back