• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Round the Bend? Time for a ride report yet?

WARNING - For those folks that stayed at the Motor Inn and used a Credit Card

Checked my on-line credit card bill this evening and found that the Motor Inn has kindly charged my credit card on Monday and Tuesday of this week with 4 seperate charges totaling over $450. :eek2: :eek2:

Dang, that better have been one good campsite! Maybe you were charged for all the free entertainment on Saturday night... hahahahaha

Thanks for the heads up, I just checked my card and all seems okay. There is one charge for $102 and that's it.

The things which look like drive in movie screens are old microwave communications reflectors. Back in the day, they were used to bounce a communications radio shot into the Study Butte area. Microwave is line-of-site and these were necessary to zig-zag through the mountains.

I thought this map represented an interesting world view. Now Clay Henry..., I understand.
480532618_VKgwC-L.jpg

DSC00741.jpg

This was taken where? East side of the Chisos?

Milton, this was taken on Tuesday morning from the top of the hill of mine tailings that is piled up behind the BBMI campground. That was the best sunrise of the trip. There was no post- processing... I don't yet know how to post-process. Being an old film guy who moved to digital just about a year ago I still try to do it all through the lens.

Being an old film guy who moved to digital just about a year ago I still try to do it all through the lens.

It's excellent. I figured it had to be a sunset. Thanks for the input. Awesome shot.

You know Big Bend is a special place... It is one of the few places in the world where I am awake in time to see a sunrise :-P

We had fun... with the exception of the last day. Here are a few pics I will share.

DSC01143.jpg

DSC01126.jpg

DSC01125.jpg

DSC01115.jpg

BigBendTrip38.jpg

BigBendTrip47.jpg

Everyone was asking if I was going to get my GS dirty... here is proof. :)

BigBendTrip32.jpg

BigBendTrip30.jpg

Kathy's Kosmic Kowgirl Kafe, Saturday morning
480808265_24Zya-XL.jpg

For Saturday's ride, RickM, BigDon, PinkLloyd, BajaBoo, and I teamed up once again. We had become comfortable with each other. We did what I refer to as Roger's favorite loop: from Terlingua Ghost Town up Sawmill Road, to Hunt Camp-Solitario Rd, to Tanque Caballo, Blue Ridge, and Hen Egg east to the hwy. A front had blown in creating a cold, windy dust storm for most of the day. By 2pm the wind stopped and the skies were crystal clear, washed by the wind.

This is a 30 yard strech of concret on the Hunt Camp-Solitario Rd. You'd think we'd never seen concrete before.
480808331_NrxVZ-L.jpg

After some fumbling around, we found Hen Egg Road
480808380_scY5d-L.jpg

On Hen Egg Rd, approaching Terlingua Creek drainage & Hen Egg Peak. Sky greyed out with dust storm.
480808457_YEWzF-L.jpg

Descending into Terlingua Creek drainage, Hen Egg Road
480808473_hkS6u-L.jpg

East of Terlingua Creek, Hen Egg Rd
480808474_A2PWy-L.jpg

Grey skies
480808492_TxgZP-L.jpg

Hen Egg Peak
480532622_4Ce5v-L.jpg

It was Saturday afternoon. After reaching the Hwy 118, Lloyd split for Brownsville.
Down to the hard core now. Our last hooraw........ in Moon Valley
Rick M, Boo, and Don

480532631_ToXNn-L.jpg

Time for my contribution to this report. Before the trip, I did a little reading online and learned a couple of things. In Big Bend some very large creatures existed at one time. I found this clip about large crocodiles:

"The fossilized remains of gigantic crocodiles have been discovered in the Aguja Formation in the south-central part of the Big Bend National Park. These are among the largest crocodiles ever known.

With lengths of 40-50 feet and jaws studded with 6-inch teeth, these powerful predators were extraordinarily equipped to feed upon a variety of dinosaurs. In fact, dinosaur bones have been found here that are heavily damaged and covered with distinctive crocodile bite marks! Just like modern day crocodilians, Deinosuchus riograndensis probably hunted by ambush...lying submerged near shore, and violently seizing large dinosaurs as they foraged amid the vegetation of Big Bend's ancient swamps.

The magnificent skull of Deinosuchus is on display at the Dallas Museum of Natural History."

In 1971 a lucky University of Texas geology student found parts of a terradactyl like creature with a wing span of 35 feet.

"Discovery of the Fossil
In 1971, Douglas A. Lawson, a student at the University of Texas in Austin, was performing geological field work in the park for his master’s thesis when he discovered a fossil bone eroding out of an arroyo bank. His professor, Dr. Wann Langston Jr., determined that this long, hollow, very thin-walled bone could only be from a pterosaur wing. Subsequent excavations recovered more wing bones, but unfortunately the wing must have detached from the body before being buried and fossilized, because no body bones could be found. Lawson named his discovery Quetzalcoatlus after the Mexican deity Quetzalcoatl, who was worshipped by the Aztecs in the form of a feathered snake.

Dr. Langston continued to search for and study Big Bend fossils and eventually found other specimens of Quetzalcoatlus in another part of the park. Although these specimens were smaller than the original, they were more complete and had a very impressive wingspan of at least 18 feet. Comparison of these complete specimens with the huge bones of the original Quetzalcoatlus made it possible to calculate the body size of Lawson’s specimen. This enormous pterosaur had an estimated wingspan of 36-39 feet, making it the largest known flying creature of all time. It is not yet clear whether the smaller specimens were young individuals of the large species, or whether they represent a distinct, smaller species of Quetzalcoatlus."

That was not all!

"In 1999, Dana Biasetti, a graduate student from the University of Texas at Dallas, discovered giant dinosaur bones protruding from a dry hillside in the Javelina Formation of Big Bend National Park. Upon careful excavation, this hillside yielded partial pelvic bones and ten articulated cervical vertebrae of an adult Alamosaurus.

Alamosaurus belongs to the group of dinosaurs named Sauropods-large herbivores with extremely long necks and tails. The Big Bend Alamosaurus appears to have been a massive individual, measuring in at 100 feet in length and probably weighing over 50 tons.

Due to their extreme size and the remote location of the fossil site, excavation and removal of these giant bones by hand was nearly impossible. As a result, Big Bend National Park issued a special permit to the excavation team to remove the fossil by helicopter. In 2001, UT Dallas, now teamed with the Dallas Museum of Natural History, made history with Big Bend's first ever "dinosaur airlift." Over the next several years, the fossil will be cleaned, studied, and prepared for display."

Interesting info! All found herehttp://www.nps.gov/bibe/naturescience/pterosaur.htm

So on with the fun.

IMG_1449.jpg

A trailer full of fun.

IMG_1450.jpg

Faces only a mom could love. I AM a mom!

IMG_1453.jpg

I love this tent.

IMG_1457.jpg

Miscreants! My bike needs hours of therapy now.

IMG_1458.jpg

Rachel and Bill went up the hill to fetch a pail of water. Bill fell down and hurt his knee, and Rachel didn't fall at all.

IMG_1460.jpg

Uh, I don't know how it works, but my feet reach the ground.

IMG_1464.jpg

Oh, I get it! Thanks Graeme for letting me do this. It was a blast.

IMG_1472.jpg

Ed floor boarding the mighty Burg. He tried SO hard to wheelie.

IMG_1511.jpg

These bluebonnets were about 30 inches tall!

IMG_1530.jpg

I enjoyed the pink cactus.

IMG_1516.jpg

I found this cemetery in Lajitas. I couldn't help but notice that one of the occupants died when attacked by a pterasaur with a 35 foot wingspan.

IMG_1532.jpg

I just like this picture. On the way to Presidio the road is up and down and up and down and up and down..... It is a really wonderful ride. There is a ten mile stretch of gravel detour with two mountain passes one must ride. And by that I mean less than two miles with hills.:mrgreen:

IMG_1553.jpg

The home Elzi is seeking!

IMG_1557.jpg

My foot would fit in these cracks.

IMG_1561.jpg

IMG_1562.jpg

I saw this creature earlier in the day as it was rolling down the large hill to the west of the ghost town. It is a bicycle built for many.

IMG_1563.jpg

See?

IMG_1579.jpg

This place in Marathon is very yummy.

IMG_1578.jpg

IMG_1577.jpg

IMG_1572.jpg

And biker friendly!

IMG_1585.jpg

Mike rolled up to camp on Wednesday and was dubbed "New Guy". Now we all think of him as a great guy.

IMG_1587.jpg

We had a nice ride to the McDonald Observatory.

IMG_1593.jpg

IMG_1602.jpg

Cool picture of the Mule Ears.

Several folks made a run to Candelaria and had a great lunch at La Esconditos.

IMG_1661.jpg

IMG_1662.jpg

IMG_1667.jpg

IMG_1671.jpg

Our host was a school teacher in the DFW area until his uncle left the restaurant to him.

IMG_1650.jpg

Chispa Road is where the pavement ends.

Other fun views.

IMG_1660.jpg

IMG_1644.jpg

I was missed by some folks.

IMG_1700.jpg

IMG_1702.jpg

Soozy, I didn't try too hard to wheelie the burg.... didn't want to break it.

Rachel has a picture somewhere that shows how my wheelie form was just a bit off center that week.

Soozy, I didn't try too hard to wheelie the burg.... didn't want to break it.

Rachel has a picture somewhere that shows how my wheelie form was just a bit off center that week.

Heheheheh....she has a picture of my form just a bit off center, too!

:rofl:

We had fun... with the exception of the last day.
iphorde, I am the one in your first pic with the KLR. Lots of folks were wondering how things worked out...we never saw you later. Was the trip back OK?...and how did the head and ribs end up feeling?

Back