• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Route Help for Northern Rider coming to Texas

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Friday
Howdy,

:tab So a month or so ago, I sold my 2005 1200 GS to a fellow from Northern Michigan. This weekend, he is flying down to pick it up in North Houston and spend a week or so riding it back up to Michigan. I have attached his GPX file with his tentative route. I am not familiar with ALL of it, so it would be nice if you folks could look it over and let us know about any warnings or "gotchas" that he should be aware of before heading North. I don't think he is looking for major route revision, just making sure the route he has laid out is doable.

:tab The bike has fairly new Heidenau K60s on it. Mostly, I am concerned about any of the small roads that might not only be unpaved, but a bit rough or nasty for a solo rider on a loaded down 1200 GS. He'll be running with two side bags and a top case full of camping gear.

Day One
:tab I think he's good for everything South of I-20. After that I am not sure about the minor/unpaved roads through Northeast Texas. Anyone in the area with current info about any of those roads?

Day Two
:tab I know next to nothing about the Day Two Route.

Day Three
:tab I've ridden in the Big Piney Creek area, but not the particular roads he has marked. The roads I did were down on the creek and involved baby head boulders, nasty water crossings, and steep hills. Years ago, I rode the section running North from the V of Hwy 16, Falling Water Creek Rd. Up to the falls it was easy. Not too far beyond the falls the road was wiped out by a landslide and we could not get through. I've no clue if it has been fixed since then. Otherwise, that should be an easy section. Any recent info on this road? I know nothing about the little side trip at Big Flat near Push Mountain Rd or the section just East of Push Mountain.

Day Four +
:tab From Day Four on, I don't know squat...

:tab Anyone else know anything? I'll be sending him the link to this thread so he can read any comments.

Attachments

• R1200GS_Explore_-_Dirt.gpx
    541.1 KB · Views: 263
Back