• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Route ideas from Houston to Tyler

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Kelley
I have been coming down to Houston for work every week now for the last couple months and never was able to ride the Bandit. On Monday, some body decided that i did not need my computer, tools or back window in the my truck so they helped them selves and smashed the back window and stole EVERYTHING while i was order dinner at Longhorn steak house on Beltway 8 east. This allowed me to justify going back to my house Monday night and returning on the bike to finish out the week. Now that i am rested and no longer fuming over this mishap, i am ready for a nice relaxing journey back to my Home this afternoon. Does anyone have any good route ideas for me to pass by something cool, or some nice curvy roads that are not too far out of the way from East Houston to Tyler? The Sam Houston statue would be cool but i would like stay off 45 if at all possible.

Well..... I'm not sure which direction you'd be heading but here are some ideas from Tyler south toward Huntsville....... No turns or towns offered but a map or GPS will fill in the gaps.

Hwy 69 to FM 855 to Hwy 175 to Hwy 155 to FM 837 to FM 315 to Hwy 155 to around Palestine Loop to Hwy 79 to FM 831 to FM 1511 to Hwy 7 to FM 811 to FM 1119 to OSR to FM 247.....................

From Huntsville to East Houston is your pick as I've not traveled that area - I can vouch for the above route being one of the better M/C picks.

Thank you. I ended up not leaving until late last night but I will be making this run soon. Ended up spending an 2 hrs in traffic trying to out of HOU.

It depends on how much longer you are willing to spend on the road. You've got some distance to cover and riding backroads in the dark this time of year can get you more close encounters with wildlife.
But I would plot a path from Houston to Crosby, Liberty, Livingston, Lufkin to Tyler. Off interstates for most of it, but still making time.

I used to make a routine trip to and from Longview and the time just about doubles when you get off 59/259. But if you stay between 45 and Livington and make your way to Crockett, then get on 2022 to Slocum, jog east to 323 and head north to Alderbach that road looks fairly interesting. From Palestine you are just about home, you probably have a favorite from there.

Let us know if you find something cool.

Dave.

If you're coming from Tyler are you heading to West Houston. We take 69 to 59. The roads north of Lufkin can be really nice.

Everything about 59 sucks . When I want to go somewhere I’ve never been I lay a straightedge on the map from point a to b and take every small road close the the line that I can , that has never failed me yet . If Houston or Dallas are close to my route I will detour a hundred miles out of the way from them just because , Austin too . San Antonio isn’t an issue I can cross it in 30 minuets or less .

Man, sorry about your bad luck. Crooks just get me going!!! Don't know if you are going east or west of Houston but here are a couple options. I am sure you know more about the Tyler area, but I love roads FM 831, 1511 then 811. They are just fun roads!!! From there down to Huntsville are good back roads but nothing special. Right before Huntsville you have to decide whether you are going east or west. There are some alternatives for going straight south, but it doesn't take long before you are into "no alternative Houston".
asuYX5YXxt_ZfaUqcCOikRdmscw4CU9OUTb9U=w510-h609-no.jpg

GPX viewer

Attachments

• 2020TylerToHouston.gpx
    454.6 KB · Views: 224
  • 2020TylerToHouston.gdb
    167.6 KB · Views: 219
Those look like some awesome routes. I will for sure give them a run. Thank you

Back