• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Routes/stop suggestions New Braunfels to Houston

Reaction score
Hola!

I've decided to spend the weekend on the scoot, hitting a number of Tour of Honor sites between my home in New Braunfels and my sister's in Houston. Basically ride to Houston on day 1, return on day 2. The route I've planned is kind of winding because I need to hit a number of stops with military memorials or a few towns I want to hit.

I'll post the routes below with screen grabs of the plans. I'm looking for any suggestions - either better roads to take, or places to stop and see along the way.

Day 1
  • Leave NB, straight shot to Yorktown (see a Huey)
  • Quick route thru Gonzales to see the "Come and take it cannon"
  • Route through Shiner on a pilgrimage to the brewery. May not take the tour (is it worth it?) but will stop in the gift shop.
  • Halletsville for a huey, then Flatonia for a doughboy statue.
  • Next stop is in Cypress, but heard 159 is a good road, so taking it from La Grange to Bellville
  • On into Houston and stay at my sister's place.
Day 2
  • First stop is in Huntsville, but taking the scenic route on 1725 from Cleveland. Alternatively, I can go up through Conroe and see another huey, but I wondered if 1725 is worth the detour?
  • Stop in Huntsville at a veteran's memorial.
  • Work my way down to take 149 to Anderson.
  • Lunch stop - at Drifter's or go on up to Yankee's...which one?
  • Into College Station for a doughboy statue
  • Down to Smithville, via Bastrop, for a huey
  • Head back to NB. At this point, probably taking the fastest route.
So what do you suggest for different roads or "be sure to stop here" sites?

Pics of route below

If you have time while in Houston go see the battleship Texas. It’s going into dry dock at the end of the year for at least a year, then being moved to an undecided location.

Back