• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Royal Enfield Himalayan

kenray

Reaction score
Recently met a rider on a new Himalayan. Looked like a bike that could be fun on the back roads and secondary highways and a bike that would not be hard to maintain(old school design). Anyone out there riding one? kenray in katy

There was a thread somewhere around here, I think one user has one.
I know the power to weight ratio was a concern for some guys.

At nearly 500lbs I wouldn't be throwing it in the 'great for dualsport' category anytime soon. Only person I know with one is new to dirt and isn't a member here that I am aware of.

It's more mini-ADV than dualsport. But also keep in mind that 426lb is not the dry weight it is the "curb weight" which seems to have different meanings for different manufacturers. I searched and can't find where anybody has actually weighed one, so whether that includes a full tank of gas is unknown.

But it does include centerstand, pannier rack, tail rack, crash guards at the tank and lower for the engine, low fender + half high fender for the front wheel.

Take all that into account, and it appears to be pretty comparable to a DR650/XR650l/KLR. You either add that stuff to those bikes, or take it off the Himalayan. I don't think it's even trying to compete with KTM, and for one, I'm really glad it's out there and selling. I see the big hole in the market as between the DR650 and the KTM690. Make a bike that weighs 10-15lbs less than the DR650, with 10lbs more HP, and price it right between current DR650 and KTM690. As long as it could still carry luggage and wasn't a maintenance queen, I think it would sell well.

Of course it doesn't cost a lot less to develop/make one of those than it does to make a 690, but they would sell for less, so I get why it's not out there. I just think there's a gap. I actually don't like the 690 - it just doesn't feel "right" when I've ridden them. Great bikes, just don't like them. Same with V-stroms. On paper they should be perfect bikes for me, but I've ridden my brother's quite a bit and just don't like it. On the flip side I had a 1st gen Versys I liked a lot, and my brother just didn't.

Choices be good.

Pretty decent review / video here. Very good videography, too.

I've been meaning to stop by the motorcycle shop that carries these, just out of curiosity. The bike is way to heavy for me but I do appreciate it's utilitarian handsomeness. I watched a guy's vlog about riding his new Himalayan from Seattle back to AK I believe (waiting on Part 6 to come out). This bike came up as a direct competitor to the BMW G310GS in another view. I ended up going down a rabbit hole lol
His video has some beautiful scenery. Up to this point it doesn't focus on being a bike review per say, but more about his journey on it. The guy has some really good talent and a beautiful eye, but skipped forward through some stuff cause I wasn't in ans artsy-fartsy mood and the guy can really go into detail appreciating a task. Sometimes I don't need the catharsis, just the gist lol

It seems like everyone and their mother is trying to make an "adventure" bike these days.

It seems like everyone and their mother is trying to make an "adventure" bike these days.
I'm glad they are! These are so good at so many things. Like the SUV fad that took over the auto industry - very comfortable, good on the highway, can do dirt (to varying degrees), and good looks to boot.

I'm glad they are! These are so good at so many things. Like the SUV fad that took over the auto industry - very comfortable, good on the highway, can do dirt (to varying degrees), and good looks to boot.

Hey, that's my rides :trust:

:tab As good as many Adventure/DS bikes are on the pavement now, I am not sure I will ever own another street only bike. I mean, if I were to suddenly come into large amounts of money, maybe. Otherwise, I see no real need. I like the ability to cruise at highway speeds and have great handling in the twisties, but then be able to go explore little unpaved side roads as the mood hits me. Unless it starts getting really steep or rough, my 1200 GS pretty much does it all very well. For here in the States, I don't know that I would mess with the Enfield unless I was just in the mood to have something a little out of the ordinary.

For some place like rural India, I could see the Enfield being a smart choice. Those bikes have been there forever. They have produced them in prodigious quantities for years. Guys living in sheet metal shacks know how to fix them with minimal parts. All those guards make sense. You aren't looking to be able to blast down highways at 60+ mph. You are looking for relatively reliable transport that can get you most anywhere at 45-50mph tops. That they are finally starting to modernize the bikes a bit is great. Although, I fear that too much modernization might do away with the benefit of them being able to be repaired almost anywhere by just about anyone.

I just looked at more videos and pics and now I cant wait to go sit on one.

Not a bad thing, especially of they trend towards lighter weight and shorter seat heights. Competition is good for us consumers.

I just looked at more videos and pics and now I cant wait to go sit on one.

Not a bad thing, especially of they trend towards lighter weight and shorter seat heights. Competition is good for us consumers.
I agree. I think we need more options like the tenere 700 that's coming out. But the short inseam folks need light weight bikes too.

Honda needs to do a crf500 rallye

On Friday of Roll the Bones 2018 there was a Himy with our group for a short gravel and paved ride. While we weren't settin any speed records we were getting around at a fairly spirited pace and he had no problem keeping up in the dirt or the tarmac. I got a good look at it when we stopped for lunch and I believe it to be the best looking bike at the ride. Can't remember his name or handle, but he should be able to give a good review. Different strokes and all that. I'd ride it.

I agree. I think we need more options like the tenere 700 that's coming out. But the short inseam folks need light weight bikes too.

Honda needs to do a crf500 rallye
On for sure. I got a little offended when the BMW guy guestimated my inseam to be only 27". It's 28 and a half, sir. :argh:

I have owned one since about July just because I went to TJ's cycle in Austin and one was sitting on the floor... I liked the look - I sat on it and could flat foot it and I am 5'8" tall and about 195lbs. I am 59 years old now and have owned just about every dual sport bike on the market including Ktm 690's. This bike is low on power but the chassis is great and it is just a fun bike. I have installed a programmer and helped the power some but it is what it is. My buddies will tell you I have no problem keeping up with them and 75 mph is fast enough on gravel which is where I spend most of my time. I love it , it was 5500 OTD and that doesn't hurt even if I end up hating it. I have saddle bags stuffed with stuff, tank bag and everything I need mounted to it . This bike takes me back to the 70's and 80's when bikes were simple and not 37 inches at the seat . The suspension does it's job well , holds plenty of fuel, it is the closest "Ready to Ride" cheap dual sport bike on the market. Two of my buddies I ride with have purchased them and are happy ... At this point I have no regret and it gets lots of looks . The most common statement is " That is a cool looking bike" Rick M

8D85A563-9A90-4DC7-A8EF-D048F900711E.jpeg

I stopped by the Motorcycle shop yesterday but they had just sold the one they had. Going to have to wait a couple weeks for the next shipment to come in. The guy said they're selling fast. While I was there a guy called and asked if they had any. Seems word is getting out about them.

I stopped by the Motorcycle shop yesterday but they had just sold the one they had. Going to have to wait a couple weeks for the next shipment to come in. The guy said they're selling fast. While I was there a guy called and asked if they had any. Seems word is getting out about them.
I was at the Triumph/BMW/Ducati dealer in Plano a week or two ago and they had 2, not sure if that's where you went or not (was thinking you were around DFW from prior posts, but not sure).

Actually, I guess that's Triumph/BMW/Ducati/Royal Enfield/Ural dealer..

I was at the Triumph/BMW/Ducati dealer in Plano a week or two ago and they had 2, not sure if that's where you went or not (was thinking you were around DFW from prior posts, but not sure).
Ah ok, yeah I know the place you're talking about. Use to go by there when I lived up in DFW. These days I'm in San Antonio. Place I went to was a tiny place called The Motorcycle Shop on the east side of town. Also it would be nice if there was a closer Ducati dealer than Austin, I'd like to see the Sixty2 as well.

Back