• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Royal Enfield Himalayan

I stopped by the Motorcycle shop yesterday but they had just sold the one they had. Going to have to wait a couple weeks for the next shipment to come in. The guy said they're selling fast. While I was there a guy called and asked if they had any. Seems word is getting out about them.
Did they have any new 650 twins? Interceptor

I enjoyed sitting on the Himmy the week they arrived from Fort Worth (the US distributor). This was the second one that the Motorcycle Shop in SA received, the first being white and sold the day before. The bike was plush feeling, low to the ground, and had that nostalgic feel. I did not pull the trigger as I wanted to wait and see how parts availability would be. In the meantime, I purchased an older KLR650 which is serving me well.

29192958767_ae3c60c94c_b.jpg

Funny and ironic ending to the story. The next week my wife and I answered an ad for a Yamaha XT225 on Craigslist. He had just bought a new bike a few days prior and did not need his old XT225. We went into his garage and their sat his new Royal Enfield Himalayan, the exact same bike I sat on at the Motorcycle Shop in SA. It turned out he went and looked at the bike the same day I had, and purchased it the next day. I have since spoke with him and he is enjoying it. His only complaints being 1) there are few after market products available and 2) he feels underpowered on highway riding.

Did they have any new 650 twins? Interceptor
I don't recall seeing any but I wasn't looking for them.

D’Moto in San Antonio is a Ducati dealer. Triumphs too!
Oh that's good to know. I'll chk it out.

I enjoyed sitting on the Himmy the week they arrived from Fort Worth (the US distributor). This was the second one that the Motorcycle Shop in SA received, the first being white and sold the day before. The bike was plush feeling, low to the ground, and had that nostalgic feel. I did not pull the trigger as I wanted to wait and see how parts availability would be. In the meantime, I purchased an older KLR650 which is serving me well.

View attachment 227051

Funny and ironic ending to the story. The next week my wife and I answered an ad for a Yamaha XT225 on Craigslist. He had just bought a new bike a few days prior and did not need his old XT225. We went into his garage and their sat his new Royal Enfield Himalayan, the exact same bike I sat on at the Motorcycle Shop in SA. It turned out he went and looked at the bike the same day I had, and purchased it the next day. I have since spoke with him and he is enjoying it. His only complaints being 1) there are few after market products available and 2) he feels underpowered on highway riding.
So now I know where it went! 😁

Looks like you're up on your toes. That means I'll definitely be reaching.

Last edited:
This bike.... 😍

Sat on it at the shop today. I'm up on my tip toes, but easier to keep up than I thought it would be. Seat cushion has a lot of thickness in it, 2"-3" of foam and almost a suede-like feel on the cover (it isn't suede I don't think). Handlebars are nice and upright. Big hefty bar ends on there too.. Standing up was easy (bike on the center stand). Huge foot pegs and thick rubber. This thing is built like a tank, or at least implies it. It's welds on the frame are exposed and in your face. It's got rough edges that add character, it isn't flawless and seems like it ain't ashamed of it either. The matte color is awesome. The personality on this thing intrigues me so. It's utilitarian and handsome. Started it up, it got a decent note. The front 21" wheel seems huge! Rear is a 17".

I probably would have slept at the shop so I could look at it it all night, but I had to beat traffic home so I had to go. I kinda want. But thinking about all I'd need to do to ride.

Anyway, pics...

If you go off the pavement and get into rocks or ruts of any size, that 21" makes a big difference in how the bike handles.

So what are they asking for that bike? Is it fuel injected?

Double front fender? Interesting.

Tourmeister, yes, it is FI.

The low fender helps keep spray/mud down. If it gets, bad, you can probably remove it. I think the high fender is for looks and maybe deflecting mud/spray away from the underside of the dash/wires.

Yup, FI'd. Heck I didn't even ask price but I think it's about $4400 remembering their website info.
The guy Steve said his buddy removed that top fender on his Himalayan. Said he liked the classic look without it. He did say it does block a little airflow up under the headlight too. Interesting about the headlight design, it stays stationary when the wheel/bar turns. I think it's attach to the frame or front tank area (didn't spy in too closely).

A nice touch is both brake lines are braided steel. I was surprised, typically manfs go with rubber for costs. And the suspension squishes a little when you get on so there's room to the ground.

Last edited:
My experience with RE motors if you break them in correctly they never give problems. I like how easy it is to service oil filter and spark plug. When I bought mine they charged me an import fee and tried to do an assembly fee. I paid the TTL and import fee. Monica dis you notice the specs on suspension travel? That rear rack crash guards and wind shield and bash guard (skid plate) save over 5 hundred. I like the 21 inch front wheel compared to some 19 inch dual sports like the Wee.

My experience with RE motors if you break them in correctly they never give problems. I like how easy it is to service oil filter and spark plug. When I bought mine they charged me an import fee and tried to do an assembly fee. I paid the TTL and import fee. Monica dis you notice the specs on suspension travel? That rear rack crash guards and wind shield and bash guard (skid plate) save over 5 hundred. I like the 21 inch front wheel compared to some 19 inch dual sports like the Wee.
That said, what's your method breaking in the motor? I read a few methods for the bike and curious how each went.

You're right about the racks and guards - this bike is ready to roll, just add your bags. Maybe side racks if you need but honestly, one could load out and fill up the way it comes off the showroom floor.

I didn't catch the susp travel on it while I was there (sorry guys, I lose my brain when I toy shop). Online vids show it at 200mm travel w 41mm forks up front, 180mm in the rear.

For the front wheel I don't have much, really any offroad exp so wheel preference all I know is larger is better.

Mine was 500cc Classic but I never got it over 45-50 mph for 500 miles and varied the speeds and kept RPM down (by feel and noise) Then change the oil. The book may say part synthetic but I ran 20-50 Valvoline full Synthetic. I put nearly 10K on bike 2014 and never had a problem. I just get tired of bikes but the RE was my all time favorite. It liked 70 mph and below. It had great low end torque. I may buy one of the 650 twins from them next year. Just make sure what you can and can't do to keep warranty. You may have to have them do first service then after tat you can. Valves on mine were hydraulic and need no adjustment. RE headlights are the best I have ever seen. I always got 70mpg

Still sounds tall as you describe. Perhaps not heal plant but at least ball of foot would be best for you considering the weight you need to be able to control. You may want to research some lowering strategies. Perhaps even in just the forks would do it for you. One thing for sure, you would surly be Miss Badace on a bike like this

2018 Royal Enfield Himalayan Specs
Suspension (front): Telescopic 41mm forks, 7.9 in. (200mm) travel
Suspension (rear): Monoshock; 7.1 in. (180mm) travel, preload adjustable
Seat Height: 31.5 in. (29.9 in. w/ low saddle option)
Ground Clearance: 9 in.
Wet Weight: 401 lbs.
Tires (front): 90/90-21
Tires (rear): 120/90-17
Brakes (front): 300mm single disc, 2-piston floating caliper
Brakes (rear): 240mm single disc, single piston floating caliper
Alternator Output: 220 Watts
Engine Type: Single cylinder, air-cooled, 4 stroke, SOHC
Displacement: 411cc
Max. Power Output: 24.5 BHP @ 6500 RPM
Max. Torque: 26 ft-lbs @ 4200 RPM
Fuel System: Fuel injected
Fuel Capacity: 4 gal
Fuel Efficiency: 70 MPG (estimated)
Gearbox: 5 speed
Colors: Snow and Granite
MSRP: $4,499

Last edited:
Whoa, there's a low seat option? That knocks off a significant height!

Whoa, there's a low seat option? That knocks off a significant height!

I bet you could easily lower it just messing with the suspension. Depending on the rear suspension linkage, you might be able to just replace a single piece with a different length and change the rear height. Up front, you can probably raise the fork tubes in the triple clamp at least 1". If you don't weigh much, you can probably use shorter preload spacers in the forks, which will let the bike settle a bit more. Don't forget that you'd need to shorten the kickstand as well.

220 watts is decent for the alternator. That could run heated grips, some LED lights, and possibly a heated vest if needed. Replacing the headlight bulb with an LED bulb would free up some power for accessories.

still pretty chubby at 400 pounds and 24.5bhp, but real good torque 26 lbs, I am sure a pipe and a update on cdi and air cleaner will give some more hp. But just fine the way it sets.

still pretty chubby at 400 pounds and 24.5bhp, but real good torque 26 lbs, I am sure a pipe and a update on cdi and air cleaner will give some more hp. But just fine the way it sets.

I don't think this bike was ever about ground pounding power, but rather just getting there... I bet if a rider takes their time, this bike will get them pretty much anywhere. Keep in mind that in India, they probably aren't going to be doing much 70mph+ freeway blasting.

Perhaps even in just the forks would do it for you.

It's my understanding that its never a great idea to only lower one end of the bike, you want to lower both at a similar rate. You will end up affecting the overall handling.

G
It's my understanding that its never a great idea to only lower one end of the bike, you want to lower both at a similar rate. You will end up affecting the overall handling.

Generally speaking, this is true. Some bikes may be more sensitive to such changes than others. For instance, a long wheel base cruiser with raked out forks probably won't be as sensitive as a short wheel based bike with steep forks.

Another RE. better quality for the products . Seemed important to mention here.

Royal Enfield Continental GT
royal-e-continental-crouch-desk-1540482460.jpg

MANUFACTURER IMAGE
Base Price: $5,999
The Royal Enfield brand has 100 years of history behind it, but the name hasn’t held much sway with American bikers in recent years. The reason is twofold: middling build quality and an incomplete product lineup. But lately the motorcycle company based in India has been eager to expand and has doubled down on quality.
Early next year, Royal Enfield will offer its first twin-cylinder motorcycles in a long time, and will do so at a very reasonable price. The 650-cc Continental GT and Interceptor models are all new from the frame up and promise to be far more robust than any Royal Enfield that has come before. The Continental GT looks like it rolled right out of the 1970s. We dig it. And because Royal Enfield has largely operated under the radar, buying one means you probably won’t see many others parked at your local bike hangout

The Himalayan was on my short list whenever I traded my Ural for a KLR. The Kawasaki dealership was just closer than the RE dealer and I was afraid the Ural might not make it all the way to the RE dealership for a trade :-)

Still happy with the KLR, but Royal Enfield really has my interest right now. Both with what's been released recently with the Himalayan and the 650cc twins and with whatever they're cooking up next.

The Himalayan was on my short list whenever I traded my Ural for a KLR. The Kawasaki dealership was just closer than the RE dealer and I was afraid the Ural might not make it all the way to the RE dealership for a trade :-)

Still happy with the KLR, but Royal Enfield really has my interest right now. Both with what's been released recently with the Himalayan and the 650cc twins and with whatever they're cooking up next.
Reliability change with RE in 2010 with the unit motors. They are getting better all the time. The twins can be bought in USA now, I am not ready financially, maybe next year.

Reliability change with RE in 2010 with the unit motors. They are getting better all the time. The twins can be bought in USA now, I am not ready financially, maybe next year.
Have you seen the musket v twin?

Back