• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Royal Enfield Himalayan

Not sure if anyone has seen this but you can rent these up in Montana with this outfit.
You could have a pretty epic adventure I think.

Long adventure, glad they came out ok and neat test of the bikes. Obviouly lots of lessons learned and they go through them at the end. Good video.

Hi there,
Planning on purchasing a brand new 2020 RE Himalayan next week. I'm pretty excited but I'm wondering how the engine break in process was for you all.
I read on the owner's manual to keep it below 60 kmph (37-40 mph) for the first 500 km (310 mi) and then from 501- 2,000 km keep it at 80 kmph (50 mph)? I'm not sure if I read it correctly but I'd like to know how you all did it and how the Himalayan is holding up after the first 500 mi.

I've also read that the oil should be changed after the first 500 mi. Semi synthetic or Full synthetic? People have gone the full synthetic route and had no complaints. Thanks

Regarding break-in, I read some years ago that cylinders without slippery coatings (like Nikasil, etc.) should be broken in with conventional oil as it lets the ring and cylinder polish each other to form the best seal. Using synthetic can make things too slippery for these parts to initially seat well.

I don't know whether RE has coated their cylinders, so that would be something to find out, then decide. Or, just run conventional during the break in period, just in case. After putting a thousand or two miles from new on any engine, going to full synthetic should be a good move.

That is a very cool bike and a great value. Enjoy!

Hi there,
Planning on purchasing a brand new 2020 RE Himalayan next week. I'm pretty excited but I'm wondering how the engine break in process was for you all.
I read on the owner's manual to keep it below 60 kmph (37-40 mph) for the first 500 km (310 mi) and then from 501- 2,000 km keep it at 80 kmph (50 mph)? I'm not sure if I read it correctly but I'd like to know how you all did it and how the Himalayan is holding up after the first 500 mi.

I've also read that the oil should be changed after the first 500 mi. Semi synthetic or Full synthetic? People have gone the full synthetic route and had no complaints. Thanks
I am selling mine if you are interested, bought a Ktm 790 Adventure and have a Ktm 350 so I am letting the HIma go , lots of extras...

I owned a 2014 RE 500 Clasic bought new. . The break in was different.It was a good toy or second bike.My 2005 XR 650L will smoke the RE in every way. I liked the RE for putting around. I ran part synthetic oil.. Best shifting bike I ever rode. Like butter. The quality was just not there IMO, but the Himalayan and newer models are an improvement I have heard. I just trust Japanese air cooled bikes but the RE was reliable as well and always started and a good looking bike with excellent fuel mileage. I remembered it recommended a synthetic blend motor oil and had to change oil first time at 500 miles and vary speed stay below 50 mph.i would use recommended oil by RE.

Last edited:
I am selling mine if you are interested, bought a Ktm 790 Adventure and have a Ktm 350 so I am letting the HIma go , lots of extras...

Rick, what year and what extras? How did you like it?

Rick, what year and what extras? How did you like it?
2018 with 5900 miles , I loved it just moving on to the next bike. Luggage racks,hand guards,skid plate,rear luggage box ,heads up gps mount bar,fuel tank crash bar bags. 3500 is what I need for it.

2018 with 5900 miles , I loved it just moving on to the next bike. Luggage racks,hand guards,skid plate,rear luggage box ,heads up gps mount bar,fuel tank crash bar bags. 3500 is what I need for it.

Thanks for the quick response. No ABS that year? I'm thinking about one partly for me and partly for friends/kids, so ABS is appealing.

IMG_0831.jpg

3500.00 tank bag and rear side bags not included, tank bags stay on it .

I test rode one last year. That was before I got my Africa Twin, so I was only comparing it to the DR650 I rode to the demo day. It was a street only demo ride, maybe 10-15 minutes on the bike. It was nice and low, I could reach the ground easily with my 30" inseam. It didn't feel all that heavy. Probably because it was so low. The suspension was ridiculously soft, but behaved ok. I was totally underwhelmed by the motor. It felt totally anemic compared to my DR. Totally adequate, but I was running it hard to just get what I consider acceptable acceleration. Great bike for touring developing countries where highways are rare and speeds are low. Probably a bad idea in TX where FM roads flow at 70+ mph. It'd be in the running if I was looking for a RTW bike.

Once I got a 2 K miles on the 500 the motor changed character and had more speed and reved better. The fuel injection is good and it would cruize 70 but not much left after that.
Rick how much travel is on the suspension of the Himalayan? That is a real good price. RE is a very reliable bike manufacturer and easy to work on. I just loke air cooled bikes.

Once I got a 2 K miles on the 500 the motor changed character and had more speed and reved better. The fuel injection is good and it would cruize 70 but not much left after that.
Rick how much travel is on the suspension of the Himalayan? That is a real good price. RE is a very reliable bike manufacturer and easy to work on. I just loke air cooled bikes.
Not sure on exact amount of inches but I would say 5-6 . The suspension is plush but stiffens toward the end of the travel and it does not bottom out hard. I am 200 lbs and I love the suspension just like it is... This is not a rocket ship , It is a cheap bike and you get what you pay for but it is an awesome motorcycle for what it is. I have no problem keeping up with my dual sport buddies and I lead most of the time.

If I was still working I would buy it. Those motors are bullit proof plus my XR is too high for me to flat foot. That white is a good color

Trying to get Gravl Guy interested. He said he likes them too. He said y'all had a blast in Arkansas that the R E performed ral good.

I've had mine for a few months now, wish I would have checked here first, probably would have bought Rick's. Found one with about 1500 miles at a dealer in Katy. This summer they were hard to find- guess covid shut the factory down in India and US inventory had pretty much dried up.

Anyway, I love it. For reference, my prior "dual sport" was a plated Beta Xtrainer, and I learned off road on a TW200. I liked the TW a lot, but it was just too slow to me for any sort of travel/adventure riding. Some upgrades helped but ultimately only so much you can do with 196cc's. Beta was an animal off road but riding it for more than about 30 minutes on pavement would count as cruel and unusual punishment. Noisy, very vibey/buzzy, needed gas every 50 miles. The Himmy is a nice middle ground. It has enough power that you can go on highways without feeling like a liability. The engine is surprisingly smooth/vibe free and the bike in general is quite comfortable. It's perfectly adequate for "Level 1-3" sort of ADV riding. Once you start getting into slow, technical, rocky, steep stuff, it's street-oriented gearing and weight really start to make it clear you're out of it's comfort zone. The final gearing is good for it's intended use (dirt roads, two track/easier trails, and of course streets), although I wish 1st was a bit deeper for more difficult terrain.

No, it's not fast. Power wheelies are not a thing. It's an undersquare motor with a very diesel-like personality. Chuggy, low revving (the limiter shuts it down around 7k, and there's really no point to wind it north of 6k), ride the mid-range torque for best results. It needs about 2500 miles or so to be fully "broken in" and power does gradually improve over that time. A Delkevic exhaust and power commander notably perked it up a bit as well. But still- you can't be in a rush riding this bike. You'll be disappointed. It wants to take it easy, smell the roses, enjoy the scenery. On the highway, it'll cruise at 70 comfortably. Lean into it, and you can get it up to 80 or a bit more, but it feels distinctly unhappy about it. It's happy place is cruising back roads at about 55. Fuel economy is excellent- which surprisingly the power commander seemed to help (I chalk that up to it adding some timing advance- it has very conservative advance out of the box so it can run on any old third world swill gasoline). I routinely get 60-65mpg, with a 4 gallon tank, range is comfortably 200 miles. Finally, a bike that doesn't need gas seemingly every time I ride it. Like the Beta did, like the TW did, and like my Valkyrie does.

It's got a few "quirks". The gas gauge is relatively pessimistic- reporting flat on empty when you still have about 1/3 tank, and the ambient temp readout is hilariously inaccurate as delivered (sensor is directly behind an air cooled motor so it'd read 20-30* above actual). Takes 10 mintues to relocate the sensor up under the headlight, so it reads correctly. I also slightly bent the fuel sender arm, so the gauge reads much closer to reality now. The compass on the gauge cluster is not to be relied upon either. If for any reason the check engine light trips- i.e, turn the key on with the gas tank removed- it does NOT reset itself once the issue is resolved, and a fairly complex (supposedly dealer only, but there's a Utube video showing it) process to pull codes out of the dash and clear them. Otherwise, engine light is on for eternity and no, disconnecting the battery won't reset it either (oddly, it keeps trip meters through a battery change- but not the clock). Mine was fine, but among owners it's known that the TPS being set incorrectly from the factory (a la KTM) isn't uncommon, and usually to blame for issues like difficult starting, poor idle/stalling, or inconsistent idle speed. It's a relatively primitive EFI system- still has the "choke" lever on the handlebar, although it's only needed in cold weather.

It's a lot of bike for five grand and covers a wide range of dual-sport ADV riding styles well. At either extreme- people who want long-haul pavement pounders, or want to tackle gnarly singletrack, it falls short. It's too heavy and geared too high for really nasty terrain, and just not powerful enough to satisfy most touring riders. Texas freeways have it more or less tapped out just to do the speed limit. But if you fall somewhere in the middle- bopping around town, day-tripping/weekender touring off-freeways, want to be able to handle dirt roads and light trails/two track, commuting, the Himmy really does a lot of things to a lot of people pretty well.

Back