• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Royers Cafe - Round Top, TX

10-95

Inactive Member
Reaction score
What: Good, but way overpriced food.

Where: Royers Cafe in Round Top.

My wife and I took a trip to Shiner on Friday and stopped at Royers for lunch. Everyone had absolutely raved about the food there and especially the pies. So we stopped there and the only thing that sounded good off the menu was a burger and fries. The rest of what was listed I would consider foo-foo food. The kind of stuff old ladies like when they're out "antiquing" in the area. Anyway the burger was pretty good, but small. 6oz to be exact. I had plenty of room left over so I ordered a piece of rhubarb/strawberry pie and the missus had a piece of pecan. Neither impressed us.

Long story short, after each of us had a burger, fries, a Dr Pepper and a piece of pie we had amassed a $28 bill before the tip was even added.

My advice would be to pass on this place. The food was nothing special, the service sucked and I almost stroked out at the cost. As Siskel and Ebert once said, "Two thumbs down". :moon:

They are good people

But they still haven't recovered from the location in College Station that failed a few years ago. They are having financial problems, as you noticed from the prices, and have had to resort to shopping for supplies at Sams because most of their suppliers have cut them off.

Wow,

Thats a real contrast to the review I read in Ride Texas Magazine June-July 2003 issue. I quote "Just cut into the 10 ounce 2" thick black angus center cut fillet and youll understand why we'll be back."

Always good to review more than one experience but ya can't help but wonder if you hit them on an off day.

Personally for burgers I expect at least Fudruckers size and quality for a comparable price but will pay a bit more for proper ambiance.

My one trip to Royer's was also a disappointment. Indifferent service, mediocre cheeseburger, soggy fries, glass of tea, and the pie (buttermilk) was fair. Gave 'em a $20 bill and got a few cents back. Sign in fron of the place "Harley parking only" kinda of a turnoff, since I ride a Honda. Will find other places to spend my money.

I've been to Royer's a couple of times, and wasn't favorably impressed. Second time was a bust all the way around - my wife's soup was cold, whatever I ordered wasn't very good, and then (after asking, up front, if we needed to order my favorite pie then, and being assured there was plenty) they were out of my favorite!

Any waiter (or manager) worth his salt would have done something about that - comped the meal, or given us a gift certificate, or something! The fact that they didn't, at the time, convinced me I never wanted to go there again.

However, a couple months later Royer's came up in a list-serve discussion, and I mentioned my disappointment to that list. After being attacked by several members for daring to diss Royer's :roll: somone suggested I write to the owner, and I did. His response was a sincere apology, and the offer to deliver me a pie of my choice. At least he cares about whether his customers return!

That said, I wouldn't make a trip out there just to eat, but if I found myself in the area I might be willing to give 'em another chance, and collect that free pie while I'm at it! :lol:

A friend and I tried Royer's a couple of months ago. We're foodies, and are very adventurous when it comes to dining. (I love everything from a greasy burger or BBQ to Tony's in Houston.)

Royer's impressed me; I've not found food this well prepared outside of a major city. If you just try a burger, you're missing the point of this place; the "foo foo" food is what it's all about.

Live on the edge; try something you wouldn't normally try. Especially at Royer's.

Royer's is an excellent place to eat if you don't mind mediocre food, rude service, and sky high prices.

He's a jerk of the greatest magnitude.

Jim

Well, crud. That kinda throws a wrench in the works, but that's why we have such highly paid pie testers on the payroll! :lol:

So, for Pie Run IV, do we need to look into The Bakery in Bellville or Pie Town Dessert Shop on I-45? I really think the next location should be near the Houston/SE Texas area. Any other suggestions?

There is also a bakery in LaGrange that serves great pastries but not sure if they have room for us. I am going back through the area next week and will stop in Bellville and LaGrange if no-one else has had a chance

wczimmerman said:
So, for Pie Run IV, do we need to look into The Bakery in Bellville or Pie Town Dessert Shop on I-45? I really think the next location should be near the Houston/SE Texas area. Any other suggestions?
I'm off tomorrow so I'll swing by Pie Town and have a chat with them; get a copy of the menu/prices/pie list; ask about capacity; best time to show up with a group on a Sat; etc.

Anything else?

http://www.klumpscafe.com/

It's been a while since I was through Round Top but I think this one is on the square also.

La Grange isn't too far away and there are several places on their square. Don't know any names.

Royers to me is kinda fru-fru but everyone has different tastes and likes/dislikes. I think with Royers you either love it or hate it. No in-between.

So where else out in the round top area would be good for lunch?

Oak Tree , west of Warrenton . Cream cheese and jalapeno stuffed burger . HHHHHmmmmmmm . On 237 between Warrenton and 159 . Dont go during trade weekends , they dont do the normal menu . SEYA

The wife and I were out one spring day on the wing and decided to try Royers. Found that it was WAY over rated.

Back