• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Russian on the Sisters

kjolly

Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Jolly
Russian on the Sisters

Went with my buddy David to ride the Three Sisters. The first day we rode from Austin to Junction.

30OCT10_28.jpg

We rode west out of Austin on Hamilton Pool Road (RR 3238/FM 962). Nice road, beautiful day. Stopped by Packsaddle Mountain for some agua.
30OCT10_1.jpg

Through Llano and on into Mason - where we stopped at the Santos Taqueria for some hand made gorditas - mighty tasty.
30OCT10_2.jpg

Then we took HWY29 and RR2092 up through Menard. Love the roads out here.
30OCT10_7.jpg

And down to Fort McKavett.
30OCT10_4.jpg

This is one of the better preserved/restored western frontier forts in Texas. It’s run by the Texas Historical Commission.
30OCT10_6.jpg

When the fort was decommissioned in 1883 locals moved into the buildings - and toted off building stone, windows, etc for their own uses. The school on the fort was the community school until the 1950s.
30OCT10_5.jpg

This area is a big goat ranching area. A local company tried to make a go of selling canned goat meat as mutton in the 1920’s.
goat_1.jpg

We camped at the Legends Inn in Junction. - $34/night - and I’ve stayed in places for over a hundred that aren’t half as nice - or half as clean. Highly recommended if you’re in the area - the folks running it are great and they even have rags in your room for cleaning your bike and gear. www.thelegendsinn.com
30OCT10_9.jpg

The next morning it was just at freezing, and a little frost on the seats.
30OCT10_8.jpg

We headed South out of Junction on 377 to do the Three Sisters loop and then we headed in to Fredericksburg for the night.
30OCT10_29.jpg

The South Llano River along 377 is just a gorgeous river
30OCT10_10.jpg

And the first twenty miles or so of 377 is a nice ride in itself
30OCT10_12.jpg

This is always a good sign - lots of roller coaster coming up.
30OCT10_13.jpg

We were rode counter-clockwise - so we started up on the Edwards plateau, and followed RR335 down off the plateau into the canyon of the Nueces River. Took RR337 over the hills from Nueces Canyon into the canyon of the Frio River. Then RR336 up and out of the Frio Canyon to the North.
30OCT10_30.jpg

The first Sister.
30OCT10_14.jpg

I don’t have a whole lot of pictures of the roads here - in the really nice sections there is no shoulder. So, I took pictures where there was some place to pull over. Like here.
30OCT10_15.jpg

Lots of fun up and down on 335.
30OCT10_16.jpg

The teeth clenching fear of imminent bloody death and the sun warmed it up by mid-morning.
30OCT10_17.jpg

Near Vance there’s someone who likes camels - there were at least 3 in this pasture.
30OCT10_19.jpg

We gassed up in Camp Wood then cut east on RR337 to climb over the divide between the Nueces and the Frio.
30OCT10_20.jpg

Up on top of the divide the view is amazing. I tried to get a panoramic shot of it - but this doesn’t do it justice.
PAN1_1.jpg

We did a quick lunch in Leakey at the Bent Rim Grill - I didn’t get poisoned - but I’d skip it unless I was starving. Headed North out of town onto RR366 to run up the Frio Canyon.
30OCT10_27.jpg

The first ten miles or so of RR336 are amazing up and downhill twisties, then you come up onto the Edwards Plateau - nice views.
30OCT10_24.jpg

The last 20 miles or so are nice Ranch Road - no traffic, easy high speed 2 lane. We got to TX41 and turned east towards Fredericksburg. The Ural handled the Sisters just fine - I’m glad we did it on a Friday when the traffic was down - I don’t think we short stopped many folks poking along at Ural speed - but with so few places to safely pass in the twisty up and down I could see it being a problem if there was a lot of traffic.

30OCT10_31.jpg

I’m a sucker for a good windmill - so you have to look at this nice Aeromotor.
30OCT10_32.jpg

And finally, at the Frontier Inn in F’burg -
30OCT10_33.jpg

Great trip.
Go Ride!

Kevo

That's always a fun ride, so thanks for bringing us along!

....and you've got quite the knack for taking pictures. :clap:

Very nice pictures. These cool fall days are just awesome for two wheelers. Thanks for sharing.

According to a very good friend that knows the history of the area very well....the camels belong to the estate of the Shah of Iran. I wouldn't bet my life on it but I trust this gentleman and have never had a reason to question his vast knowledge of the area.

If you looked on the other side of the road you might have seen an elephant, several camels etc. but they are all metal sculptures. They are placed in the trees in such a way that they are very easy to miss.
I love that part of Texas.

Aeromotor 125 miles NE of Austin

Kjolly,
Nice ride report and good photos. I noticed you said "I'm a sucker for a good windmill." Well that got me to thinking. We both like hacks and since you too like Aeromotor windmills, how would you like to get some good "exposure" to helping me reseal my pump (of coures after we pulled the sucker rod) and change the gearbox oil on my ten foot fan which is sitting on a forty foot tower? Of course lunch would be on me. And by the time we were through, you'd know a lot more about windmills. And maybe have a couple more good photos. It's just a though. Now you don't get an offer like that very often. Hardy

Back