• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Sabbatical trip ideas wanted

Reaction score
I have 10 days in July at the beginning of a one month sabbatical, on which to plan. I’m considering leaving Austin and starting the CDR, camping along the way. Wife suggested maybe Central America, which is appealing but much more $. I want this to be relatively peaceful soul searching time, preferably on two wheels...Any suggestions/thoughts are greatly appreciated. (Bikes are an ‘08 KLR and ‘08 HD bagger.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• Actual Tracks Utah 2016 Trip.gpx
    3.7 MB · Views: 269
I'm leaving in 13 days for a two week trip. My plan is to get out of Texas ASAP, then ride the Rockies north with Pike's Peak and Roswell, NM as my only destinations. The only day that is truly planned is Day 1, which is simply ride west. The rest will be determined as I go along, day by day. Since this is my first real distance trip, I figured it would be best to keep it in the U.S. of A.

My vote would be Colorado on the KLR.

July = mountains... Take the KLR and go explore Colorado and Utah.

Here is a track from a trip I did a few years ago with some guys on the forum. We were all on big bikes. I was two up on my 1200 GS with my then 11 year old daughter and three hard cases crammed with stuff. It was awesome.

Ignore this - it doesn't show all the tracks, just the first day - download the GPX file for all of it.

Tourmeister, many thanks for the tracks! This looks pretty darn good!!

I'm leaving in 13 days for a two week trip. My plan is to get out of Texas ASAP, then ride the Rockies north with Pike's Peak and Roswell, NM as my only destinations. The only day that is truly planned is Day 1, which is simply ride west. The rest will be determined as I go along, day by day. Since this is my first real distance trip, I figured it would be best to keep it in the U.S. of A.

My vote would be Colorado on the KLR.

Thanks Rudy. I agree on getting somewhere cooler ASAP, especially in mid July. Have a great time!

Here is a track from a trip I did a few years ago with some guys on the forum. We were all on big bikes. I was two up on my 1200 GS with my then 11 year old daughter and three hard cases crammed with stuff. It was awesome.

Ignore this - it doesn't show all the tracks, just the first day - download the GPX file for all of it.
Hey Scott, I like this route. I showed it to my wife and she wants to ride it on her TW, camping along the way. Are there many high speed areas that would cause the 200 to be a no go?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Hey Scott, I like this route. I showed it to my wife and she wants to ride it on her TW, camping along the way. Are there many high speed areas that would cause the 200 to be a no go?

Well, I don't recall any freeway type roads where you HAVE to go fast. Assuming the TW can run at least 60mph, you should be fine. Speed was never really an issue other than for the purpose of "making time". I was not having to work hard on any of the dirt we did even though I was riding two up with full luggage on the GS. Gas range might be an issue in a few places along Southern Utah for the TW. But, you should be fine if you gas up in Bluff or Blanding. Also, If you recall, there was gas at the Hite Marina on 95 just before crossing the Colorado River. Then there is gas in Hanksville, Torrey, Boulder, and Escalante. There is some sand When you go South of Bryce Canyon, but it was not deep at all. Skyline Drive is awesome! We didn't camp, but I am sure there are tons of places to camp along the route.

We had to change plans on the last part of the day we did Skyline Drive. The weather turned for the worse as we dropped out onto US 6 SE of Provo. So we stopped at the Tie Fork Rest area to put on rain gear. We then just slabbed around the mountains through Provo instead of going up and over the mountains through the rain and lightning. The original plan was to run 051, 042, and 131 up to US 40, then run that in to Heber City. The Swiss Alps Inn was very nice, reasonably priced, and right next door to the Dairy Keen, which had great food and ice cream!

We also had to change plans for the next day for the run from Heber City, Ut., over to Rangely, Co. I had originally planned to head up to UT 150 from UT 35 via Soapstone Rd. (FR 037 according to Google maps), near where we had to turn around because of mud. Had we continued, we would have come out on UT 35, turned North a short bit to the start of Soapstone road near where we did come out and then turned South. That cuts up to UT 150. I was then going to head North on 150 about 3 miles to another road that heads North (FR 041 according to Google maps), but runs along the West side of 150. There are a bunch of campgrounds and lakes in that area. It comes back out on 150 right where 150 bends East for a short bit. From there I was going to head North to the East Fork Bear River Campground and head East on FR 58 along the Wyoming/Utah border across the North side of the mountains over to the Flaming Gorge. According to Google Maps, it would have been FR 58, 073, 072, 017, 077, 082, 078, 086, 058, 221, and finally 218 to Hwy 44. From there I was going to run the highway back East to US 191 and run up to the Flaming Gorge Visitor Center. From there, I would head South back to Vernal and pick up the route shown in the attached GPX file above.

The night we arrived in Heber, it stormed pretty hard all night long. I had been warned by folks on AdvRider that the route across the North side of the mountains was doable on big bikes without much trouble unless it got wet... Given the mud we ran into before we ever even reached UT 35, we decided to stick to the pavement for the rest of the day.

I have loads of pics, but I don't think I ever did an actual ride report. We went in mid to late September. The trees were changing in higher altitudes. I think the coldest we saw was right around 30 F on a few mornings, but during the days it was rarely below 50-55 up high, and that was because it was overcast. On sunny days it got considerably warmer. So you really want gear to handle the full range from cold to warm and wet to dry. You will be in mountains and the weather can go from one extreme to the other pretty quick! FYI, I ran a TKC 80 front and Shinko 805 rear on the GS and they worked well, except for the nasty mud.

Here are a few pics from the trip. Rsquared, ToeJam, and JFink went with us. I was the only one riding two up. They were all on big KTMs.

Add in a little northern New Mexico to the Colorado and Utah idea and you can burn up two weeks pretty quick. Here a little taste of a Colorado trip I did with Carl a few years back.

(Bikes are an ‘08 KLR and ‘08 HD bagger.)

I happen to know where you can get a sweet deal on a 1200 GS, already setup nicely for just this trip! :trust:

I happen to know where you can get a sweet deal on a 1200 GS, already setup nicely for just this trip! :trust:

Funny thing Tourmeister... I’ve looked at this bike more than once. :) I rented a 2017 in Paris a couple years ago and explored France and Switzerland....totally spoiled myself on that bike! :)

Funny thing Tourmeister... I’ve looked at this bike more than once. :) I rented a 2017 in Paris a couple years ago and explored France and Switzerland....totally spoiled myself on that bike! :)

Come on over, I'll take you out for a test ride. We have some fun paved and unpaved roads in the area. However, keep in mind that a 2007, even brand spanking new, can't really be fairly compared to a 2017 ;-) Still, the 07 is a sweet bike and still real easy to maintain yourself.

Back