• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Saddelbags

No leaks on my Givi PLX cases. FYI, I used the SW Motech mounts as they can be easily removed if you don't need them and they appear to hold the luggage closer to the bike.

No leaks on my Givi PLX cases. FYI, I used th eSW Motech mounts as they can be easily removed if you don't need them and they appear to hold the luggage closer to the bike.

Thanks for the info. Will look into them when I get home. Wrapping everything in plastic now. Had most of it already in zippered plastic but not all.

the shame is I run a JC Whitney cheap box all over the US from Maine to Washington state on my GS 1150 and it never ever leaked.

So , what is the comparison in luggage held on your plx cases and bmw system cases of the late 90's ? I have no Idea the liter capacity of the system cases normally used. Just that the left was smaller than the right due to exhaust.

Thanks for the info. Will look into them when I get home. Wrapping everything in plastic now. Had most of it already in zippered plastic but not all.

the shame is I run a JC Whitney cheap box all over the US from Maine to Washington state on my GS 1150 and it never ever leaked.

So , what is the comparison in luggage held on your plx cases and bmw system cases of the late 90's ? I have no Idea the liter capacity of the system cases normally used. Just that the left was smaller than the right due to exhaust.

The PLX cases claim to hold a large full face helmet. I have not tried it myself. They seem to have as much, if not more capacity as the cases that were on my RT1100.

The System Cases on my Roadster (1150) could not hold a full-face, the Suzuki/Givis do. My System Cases didn't leak, and I see no way possible that the well made Givis can, no way! Hard bags are the ONLY way to go.

I will sell my Givi mounting hardware to somebody someday, and replace it with SW Motech. I see now how the Motech hardware allows the bags to hug the bike better; it's the Suzuki luggage rack (substantial as it is) that juts the bags so far out from the sides of the bike.
The big advantage the Suzuki luggage rack has over the other systems is that it allows the top box to sit MUCH lower on the bike, i.e. lower center of gravity.
The advantage of the SW Motech is, it allows your bike to look like a true naked sport bike with NO HINT of hardware that carries luggage.

So keep me in mind if you want to buy Givi luggage hardware for the side bags and top box..... price it all out (not the bags), then try to catch me in a weak moment with your offer.

I already have a luggage rack from sw motech that will mount the givi mount. In fact a JC whitney mount I have will take the Givi topcase. We tried a buddies givi on it just out of wonderment. '
Probably will go with the PLX sides. But that's in next years budget. ;-) Gonna do suspension after this trip and won't be doing any long distance stuff till next spring.

I had picked up my top case for $180 from a ebay who is a forum member and meet local to boot. Considering that bag retails for $240 + $100 insert + $30 bag liner I got a deal. I rode everyday during the monsoon Atlanta had last week - read EPIC FLOODING and I had no issues of leaks. I like the SW Motech side case mounts better but I like the stock top case mount.

I had picked up my top case for $180 from a ebay who is a forum member and meet local to boot. Considering that bag retails for $240 + $100 insert + $30 bag liner I got a deal. I rode everyday during the monsoon Atlanta had last week - read EPIC FLOODING and I had no issues of leaks. I like the SW Motech side case mounts better but I like the stock top case mount.

I like that. I never had a leak with my system cases on my BMW's after many thousands of miles in the rain,
Maybe I'll be lucky enuff to get an ebay or other deal on someone getting rid of a PLX set up before next trip. Heck it's gonna take a lot of SS checks to catch up on this trip even though I run on the cheap. ha ha ha. . I already have a SWMotex luggage rack that the Givi or what ever will attach to. I'll just use it for the top case mounting.

I finally got my inserts a couple of weeks ago and just found the like plastic "lenses" for the bags so everything is like it's supposed to be.

Inserts1.jpg

Inserts4.jpg

Inserts3.jpg

Inserts.jpg

You just sold me on the PLX set up guy. What top are you using?

You just sold me on the PLX set up guy. What top are you using?

There are disadvantages and advantages to each type of mounting rack.

I have the stock setup. 2 PLX 35L for my side cases and 1 monokey 46L for my top case (bought off ebay at a STEAL!).

The stock Suzuki mounting racks which I have keep the side case a little farther out but it keeps the top bag allot lower and more forward than the SW.

The SW Motechs mounting racks places the side case closer in but the top "Givi" rack places the top case (the biggest of the three) allot higher and farther back. BUT, the side racks can be taken off easily when you don't want to have the cases on and provides a cleaner look.

The stock sides sticking out an extra 1" on each side don't bother me except when splitting lanes. But it would be nice to be able to take the racks off easier for those spirited runs. Whereas I really like the lower top case being allot lower and more forward.

Now, if we could just get the best of both worlds.

I already have the official Suzuki set-up, but want to convert to SW Motech (I had it on my FZ1). As best I can tell, a guy could replace the mounting hardware on the sides with the Motech stuff, keeping the Suzuki luggage rack (pure speculation as a result of closely studying pictures).

But I decided that the unappealing cosmetic effect of keeping the official Suzuki luggage rack, is the HUGE (read, SUBSTANTIAL) arms that mount to the sides of the bike. In fact I thought that it might be possible that they get in the way of allowing the Motech mounted bags to snug the bike as well. Besides, they're just soooo conspicuous on the bike and take away from that sporting "naked" look......

I plan to change everything over to SW Motech, removing my Suzuki luggage rack. I tell you what though, that lower mounted Suzuki luggage rack looks like it would easily support the weight of spare Pit Bike as a back up out on the open road; it's REALLY some heavy duty stuff!

If anyone is needing or wanting some real inexpensive bags there are some at SEARS - JC Whitney's - I've been told the large fit the givi monokey rack. I know of a few local riders that bought 3 for a set.

http://auto.sears.com/Product.htm?catalogId=10624&productId=2022700

GLOSS BLACK MEDIUM SIZE TRAVEL TRUNK
#1 Selling Motorcycle Trunks in America!
SAVE OVER $100! When compared to others at $194.99!
You Won't Find This Trunk Priced Lower Anywhere!

* Easy to detach-trunk can be locked, unlocked and removed from mounting plate with only one key! (Comes with 2 keys) * Aerodynamically designed of heavy-duty ABS black plastic
* Built-in backrest pad
* Big enough to hold one full-face helmet
* Mounts to almost any luggage rack
* Includes, new and improved mounting plate and brackets. We have improved our brackets for more secure and stable mounting on the bike.The most popular touring trunk! Wide center band doubles as an easy-grip handle. Dimensions: 17-1/2"W x 15"L x 11"H or 31 liters of luggage capacity. Mounting plate dimensions: 11"W x 9"L x 1"H.

$32.49 for medium -$42.49 for large

G_29840G_SW_1.jpg

I had bought one of these years back for use on my R1150GS and run it near 50K miles and let it go with the bike when I sold it. I saw the bike last weekend at a Vintage show and it's still on it with no problems. I later bought one for my KLR and when I sold the KLR after 10 years I kept it and put it on the DR650 I had for awhile before selling it. Never had a problem with either.
DR6501jpg.jpg

I later bought another JCWhitney for my '07 DL1000. On the return leg from California, the latch mechanism failed. After that, I could fix it and it would fail again. Finally just gave it to the wife for storage without the latch. This is about the best picture I have of it taken leaving Yosemite on 120.

120lakes62_800_x_600.jpg

And my present set up for travel is as such.
PICT0030_1024_x_768.jpg

PICT0028_1024_x_768.jpg

I bought a Coocase for the Bandit to go with the PLX Givi's. So far, so good with about 15,000 miles of travel on it and 31,000+ on the bike total in the last 2 years.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but as an about to be new Bandit owner I've got a question about the bags:

Other than color matching, is there any advantage to either the Suzuki branded bags and mounting brackets vs. the Givi branded bags and brackets? Any difference in later mounting a top box with either setup?

Many thanks,

Bob

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but as an about to be new Bandit owner I've got a question about the bags:

Other than color matching, is there any advantage to either the Suzuki branded bags and mounting brackets vs. the Givi branded bags and brackets? Any difference in later mounting a top box with either setup?

Many thanks,

Bob

HI Bob, that's what these are for :)

The bags are exactly the same except for the emblem.
Both are PLX Monokey.

The stock rack is made for Suzuki and requires no additional top plate adapter - it is built into the plate. The bag is physically closer to the front and lower than the Givi. In fact you must remove the grab rail to install the stock top bracket.

In order to order the correct bracket for Suzuki you must know you want just the top, just the sides, or a combination of top and sides. There is a bracket for (1)Top only, (2)Side only, (3) Top and Side combination (which I got in the original post). Currently I am running my top w/o my panniers.

The Givi bracket places the bag farther back and higher than stock Suzuki.

SWMotech has some hardware you need to look into for panniers. They remove with just a quarter (or something similar I hear).

Just as an FYI for anyone who needs it, I recently got back from a ride and noticed that the emblem on my left side case had went AWOL.

I have the Suzuki badged versions of the Givi V35 side cases and V46 top case. I searched the web for a source for the Suzuki emblems and came up empty. I then searched for a source for the Givi emblems thinking that I could at least cover up the bare spot. I found a Givi site that lists part numbers and prices here: http://www.givi.ca/en/replace_detail.php?val=2. The emblem part # is ZV 45. This fits both the Givi V35 & V46 cases.

Unfortunately, the Givi site does not allow you to order parts. I emailed Twisted Throttle asking if they had or could get the emblems. They replied that they had 2 of them in stock for $3.50 each. I ordered and received both of them. These do fit the sidecases perfectly but will not replace the Suzuki "S" emblem on the Suzuki version of the top case's color panel. It's shape is a different size oval than the sidecases.

I am not sure why my original emblem fell off. I am guessing that the factory didn't adequately clean off the mold release before applying the emblem. I lightly sanded the area and cleaned it with alcohol before applying the new one. I would suggest that everyone check their emblems and make sure that they are pressed on firmly.

Thanks GA.

Will the Suzuki branded top box fit on the Givi top box mount? I would guess the answer is yes, but better safe than sorry....

Bob

Thanks GA.

Will the Suzuki branded top box fit on the Givi top box mount? I would guess the answer is yes, but better safe than sorry....

Bob

yes, the mounting points are the same and the bags will mount to both
i.e. top on top or sides on sides but NOT top on sides and NOT sides on top :)

I searched the web for a source for the Suzuki emblems and came up empty. I then searched for a source for the Givi emblems thinking that I could at least cover up the bare spot. I found a Givi site that lists part numbers and prices here: http://www.givi.ca/en/replace_detail.php?val=2.

Thanks for that link. Was wondering if it was possible to buy Givi parts-need to replace the left "lid" on the wife's PLX case after a little "loose gravel on the parking lot incident".

Thanks for that link. Was wondering if it was possible to buy Givi parts-need to replace the left "lid" on the wife's PLX case after a little "loose gravel on the parking lot incident".

Yep, nice link - thanks.

I know a guy that claimed his bag "popped off while riding" and was smashed into a tree and GIVI replaced it for free.

I go through Marietta Motorsports in Marietta GA (dealer is useless for GIVI stuff for me) and they call GIVI everytime I have a question or need to order a part which have only been the rubber bumpers for the top case so far (to mount on).

Marietta Motorsports, 1011 S. Marietta Pkwy, Suite 7 Marietta, GA 30060
(770) 425-5252 http://www.bbcracing.com/

Just as an FYI for anyone who needs it, I recently got back from a ride and noticed that the emblem on my left side case had went AWOL.

I have the Suzuki badged versions of the Givi V35 side cases and V46 top case. I searched the web for a source for the Suzuki emblems and came up empty. I then searched for a source for the Givi emblems thinking that I could at least cover up the bare spot. I found a Givi site that lists part numbers and prices here: http://www.givi.ca/en/replace_detail.php?val=2. The emblem part # is ZV 45. This fits both the Givi V35 & V46 cases.

Unfortunately, the Givi site does not allow you to order parts. I emailed Twisted Throttle asking if they had or could get the emblems. They replied that they had 2 of them in stock for $3.50 each. I ordered and received both of them. These do fit the sidecases perfectly but will not replace the Suzuki "S" emblem on the Suzuki version of the top case's color panel. It's shape is a different size oval than the sidecases.

I am not sure why my original emblem fell off. I am guessing that the factory didn't adequately clean off the mold release before applying the emblem. I lightly sanded the area and cleaned it with alcohol before applying the new one. I would suggest that everyone check their emblems and make sure that they are pressed on firmly.

You can buy the Suzuki badge that fits the Givi V35 side cases. Hard to track down but the part number is 990D0-V35SC-LOG and I got some sent to me in New Zealand from Alpha Sports

I just cut some heavy duty red reflective material to the shape of the void, and stuck it in place. For the top box, I covered the emblem with glossy black vinyl tape and trimed it accordingly. I don't like emblems, stickers, or decals..... looks good now.

Back