• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Sam and friends take on the rain and rocks in Colorado

Vinny

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Vinny
Sam had a dream to do the CDR in Colorado. Plan was to start in Pagosa Springs and make it to Steamboat Springs area for a meeting with folks coming South from Seattle.
He made a little mistake by inviting me on the ride.

Attachments

• CAM01510.jpg
    CAM01510.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 314
The planning started a few months back. Like a typical ride, lots of riders showed interest but only a few could make it.
The final crew consisted of Sam, John (Racer John) and myself.
I was bringing a drz-400 until Bud decided he would like to spend a few days in Detroit instead of Colorado with us. That gave me the opportunity to ride the awesome KTM 530 of Mrs C. It made total sense to me. I had a capable bike and my own mechanic (Sam) . He even jetted the bike for altitude for me.
Thanks Mrs C for lending me your husband, your mechanic and specially your KTM!

Attachments

• CAM01508.jpg
    CAM01508.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 287
Last edited:
John decided he needed 2 weeks of Colorado goodness. He rented a uhaul and drove his truck on his own to Pagosa Springs. On the way he bought his daughter a Honda 250 cc. His plan was to ride his KLR for a week with us and then go to Colorado Springs and pick up a few members of his family. They had a cabin and riding plans reserved for themselves for a week of fun ( he is actually doing that right now)

Attachments

• CAM01538.jpg
    CAM01538.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 305
  • IMG_2934.jpg
    IMG_2934.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 351
Last edited:
Sam and myself drove together to Pagosa Springs. It was a long 13 hr drive. You guys kno how it is, getting out of Texas is the worst part of the trip. A close second is the price of gas. We hit a couple of ethanol free stations on the way north and when coming back 6 days later.
I was itching to get our camp set up and put the untested luggage on the KTM. I didn't even care to eat until..... a brewery showed up on main street. We made a call to John and he met us there. The beer was great and the food was even better. We made a pact that we would visit the place again on the way back. It was nice to sit outside in 70 degree weather and enjoy the views.
The excitement to get started in the morning was getting stronger and stronger. We rode 20 miles to a fellow Texans house and camped for the night. We would leave our trucks and trailers there for the week.

Attachments

• CAM01495.jpg
    CAM01495.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 283
  • CAM01493.jpg
    CAM01493.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 275
  • CAM01550.jpg
    CAM01550.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 262
  • CAM01548.jpg
    CAM01548.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 274
  • CAM01545.jpg
    CAM01545.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 265
Last edited:
Nice pics and trip over view. Sure looks like you guys had a great time! If not for an already planned vacation with my youngest daughter (which we both really enjoyed)... I would have been right there with you fellas. :rider:

Yes, we took on the rain, and the rocks. We saw a lot of both!

Please allow me to insert a little update from me, and why I am still in CO.

About 4 mos ago, a friend (Clayton Walther) had planned a trip to Salida, CO Aug 2 - 10, to ride all over the area, both off road and on road.

He was taking his 2 sons (19,17), who are very experienced off road. There was going to be a total of about 10 people. One guy and his 2 sons could not go, and Clayton asked me if I wanted to go. So, I decided to join him with my wife and 2 daughters: Christina (24) and Melanie (20). My son, Matt (22) wanted to go, but did not have the vacation time.

The plan was for all 4 of us to drive my truck and trailer to Salida. Then Sam shows up at my office in mid July to talk insurance and starts telling me about this trip with Vinny to CO. (I was not aware of the trip; I had not seen the discussion). He did not know it, but I was asking myself, "hmm, could I do both?..I'll be there anyway..."

I went home talked to my wife. I would drive up to CO by myself (with 3 bikes) and meet Vinny and Sam. My wife and my two daughters would fly a week later and meet me. They LOVED the idea of flying instead of driving. So I was a late addition to the 2 man group.

So I drove up and met Vinny and Sam in Pagosa Springs...and the rest is history. Today as I write, I am in Salida staying here:

http://www.sanisabelbandb.com/

Today will be my first day since July 25 not to ride my KLR offroad. Our group of 9 are going to take inflatable kyaks down a river for 2 hours. We then drive to CO Springs. Tomorrow we take the cog train up Pikes Peak, and ride mtn bikes down. We then head toward TX. I'll post a few pics on a different thread later.

It was a surprise to see the pic above of my 2 daughters; I sent that by text to Vinny. That pic was taken near Buena Vista 3 days ago.

Vinny had the most experience in CO and he did a great job choosing routes and showing us around. Vinny and Sam have amazing off-road skills. We covered a lot of ground. Saw something in CO we don't see much of in TX: rain. It was a great trip!

OK, now I'll return you to your regularly scheduled program: the ride report.
:-P

Well, that was the last of the dry weather for us. It started raining that afternoon and it rained every day, night and afternoon thru our Colorado vacation. We all had very good gear and didn't suffer much, it was just uncomfortable to wear our gear all the time or have to take the gear on and off thru the day.

OK, second morning was full of excitement. We had a nice night sleep, woke up to horses grazing next to our tents. Weather was great. I was able to place my gear on the KTM without any problems. I took a ride around the gravel roads around the farm and all was well with the world. When I arrived back to the trucks I saw Sam sitting on the ground next to the KLR. That can't be good. At least we are next to all our tools and equipment. I walked over and found out from the boys that she didn't want to start. Sam quickly put a test light on the clutch, kickstand and starter. In a few minutes he had that lazy KLR up and running. That was a problem that persisted for a few days but was an easy fix when it appeared. Sam was able to fix it better on the 3rd day with some new wire connectors.

Attachments

• CAM01518.jpg
    CAM01518.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 277
  • CAM01519.jpg
    CAM01519.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 259
Last edited:
Well, I just wrote a very descriptive day 2 with road names and directions, etc. It all was erased when I attempted to add pictures. I'm going to do small entries from now on. Good thing I'm at work and getting payed to watch people sleep.

Last edited:
You are not going to get all the description of day 2. The basics are : we couldn't get to hwy 149 from Vallecito reservoir. After 3 hours of trying to get to Lake city, we decided to go to Ouray instead. I wanted to show the guys the Alpine loop. It works from either place. We just wouldn't see a waterfall off hwy 149 as I had planned.
As we started hwy 550 North to Ouray the first storms started. We stopped and put on our rain gear. If I remember correctly, it was a **** of a storm with lots of wind and rain. Not the best way to show a hwy with lots of sharp turns and cliffs without the obstruction of guard rails. Lesser men would of seeked shelter, not these idiots :rider:
We arrived to Ouray and the sun appeared once again. I took us to a camp that I knew would be empty since it has a hard entrance. Angel Creek campground off Camp Bird Rd never disappoints. We set up camp, got rid of some weight and took a ride to Governor Basin. A fine ride with lots of flowers, waterfalls, old mines and narrow dirt roads. I even took them to a little single track that would test the bikes and Riders. If they passed the test with smiles, many hard roads would be added to the trip.

Attachments

• P1050428-1.jpg
    P1050428-1.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 271
  • 2014-08-15-03-45-18.jpg
    2014-08-15-03-45-18.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 247
Last edited:
After the nice ride we headed back to camp. It was time for a well earned meal and a few beers. We ate at the Ouray brewery and bought some late night camping supplies at the store downstairs.
I have to say, the guys sure love their wife's (or are whipped) They kept calling them with updates every chance they had. I felt like a third wheel a lot of the time. I did get a picture of them calling while at the brewery.

www.ouraybrewery.com

I'm a sucker for dessert. Across the street was a chocolate/dessert shop the had a line coming out the door, good sign. I entered and told the guy to give me 6 of his favorite dessert and took this with me to camp.
John became master of the wood gathering (hard since it had been raining for weeks) and had a little fire going in no time. We ended the day eating chocolate and drinking beer with little chaser of Jameson. All was right with the world again.

Last edited:
Here they are. Talking away...

Attachments

• CAM01497.jpg
    CAM01497.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 290
Trying some picture things .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 251
Day 3 (I think) ,
We had a dry morning and made coffee while enjoying the sunrise. It was nice to feel a title cold for a change. Plan is to do Alpine loop from hwy 550 , up to cinnamon pass , maybe add a loop or two ( depending on the weather and on how fast we ride the area) and eat lunch in Lake city. After that come back via Engineer pass.
All was going according to plan until I saw a detour that would make a nice loop. I was going to add Hurricane pass. In the map and gps it showed that it went thru to the other valley.......it didn't.
It was a very fun addition and was our first test for the KLR ( there would be many more later ) John decided to drop the bike on one of the first turns . That was very smart of John. Sam had the idea to switch bikes at that point. I did ok, ended up with the 690. John did great, ended up with the 530. Sam , not so good , KLR for him.
We rode up some very loose little rocks that sit on top of medium rocks that sit on top of big rocks. All these rocks are sitting on very steep hills with deep cliffs on one side mad a wall on the other.
We kept riding up until we ended up on a dead end. Great ride and definitely worth it. The views are amazing. The gps showed an elevation of over 13000 ft .
Sam and myself decided to hike the last few feet up the mountain and conquer a 14'er. Harder than we thought when wearing bike gear and riding boots.:doh:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 250
Not sure why. Only one picture per post. Sorry guys.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 292
Another

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 264
Flowers are crazy in July ...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 237
One of my favorites

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 248
Very few pics of the three of us

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 261
That 690 likes to get the front wheel up

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 260
King of the hill

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 232
Out of sequence but lots of you know exactly where this is.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 254
Back