• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Sam and friends take on the rain and rocks in Colorado

Time to take off the rain gear

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 234
"Lake City is over there....I think "

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 230
Liked this one too. Wish I could post the actual resolution :doh:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 237
Deciding on which way to go

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 221
After the Hurricane test we decided to get out of there . But wait, Sam sees an old mine. I didn't know Sam was such an architect / mining aficionado . Since we had protective gear we decided to get inside the building and have a look around.
Peanuts, pretzels and splinters.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 216
Picture perfect

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 215
Giving the tour

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 224
Very church like in there

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 219

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:
Can't remember the area. Coming down from Cinnamon .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 215
Stomachs full and body rested. Up to Engineer pass. Beautiful area and not a very tough road.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 216
Now, this is my favorite photo of the trip. In full resolution all the little rocks in front of the bike make a great contrast with the sky .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 238
Sam telling me to get away from the edge and get back to riding.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 220
A friendly CO native. Nice front yard buddy.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 239
Yours truly

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 241
The way back to Ouray continued to be very beautiful. The last part of Engineer pass did get tough. We enjoyed going downhill on those crazy rocks. Uphill would of been a beating .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 232
Nice deep canyons , rivers and waterfalls in the area.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 214
I though I was a bad ***. The guys are way behind. I didn't know my jacket had fallen off, they rescued it for me. I would of been screwed with out it on the rest of the trip. Lots of rain.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 231
Once we arrived to Ouray we decided to go back to camp and grab our shower kits and clean clothes. We earned a shower. The Ouray springs offer showers for 2 bucks. We felt much better after that.

http://www.ouraycolorado.com/discover-ouray/hot-springs-pool.php

After hitting the store for dinner supplies the guys had to do the mandatory wife calls. I was waiting around for them when I felt a change on the weather . Looking at my phone for weather info I saw a big cell heading our way from the west. I told the guys I was leaving to camp to try to make it to my tent before it hit. Sam soon followed too. John, not so much. We just barely made it into the tent when it started raining harder that it ever should. My tent was bending and it was increadably loud. I guess dinner was going to wait. At least I had one beer with me.
The rain lasted for hours. I finally fell sleep waiting. When I woke up it was after dark and still raining. Sleep, wake up to rain, sleep, wake up to rain.....repeat and repeat.
I the morning it finally decreased to a drizzle. When I got out of the tent ......no KLR and no John. I was kind of worried but figured John must of stayed in town. Sam came to the same conclusion.

Last edited:
Day 4 . We learned that the KTM 690 was a little bit of a princess. She didn't appreciate being left out in the torrential storm all night. The bike would start but it didn't have any response to the throttle . The KTM 530 didn't miss a beat. I give thanks to my personal mechanic for setting up my bike just perfect; thanks Sam.
We found John hunkered down at the Ouray Inn. The parking lot became a triage unit. Sam communicated with Mrs C and she suggested an ECU reset. After playing around with the wiring the bike camelback to normal.
Plan for today: Go over Imogene pass and into Telluride. After lunch take Dollar road ( behind Telluride airport ) to Ridgeway and then back to Ouray. We had hopes that our gear would dry up by staying in Ouray an extra day.

Attachments

• CAM01512.jpg
    CAM01512.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:
Great Colorado ride report, Vinny.

popcorn.gif

RB

+1 Fantastic report, at least for this flatlander. Reminds me a spending a week in the late fifties several thousand feet above Lake City. It rained every afternoon but was beautiful and we caught our limit of trout everyday.

Back