• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Sam Houston NF OHV - Status?

Reaction score
Does anyone have any info about the OHV trails in SHNF. I'm not able to find any information about reopening. I've volunteered a few times to help restore the trails, but they never seem to open back up.

I've only been riding a few years and have visited the OHV trails more times to work than I have to ride. The lack of info about them is surprising to me. I figured if anyone knew anything, it would probably be someone on here.

Thanks

Scuddy

Check the Sam Houston Trails Coalition site for updates. At this time???
The next meeting is Feb 3 at 9am, Gulf Coast Trade Center on FM1375.
I helped walk the trails after "Harvey", they weren't that bad. A few areas need attention but the prior efforts of the volunteers prevented major trail problems. The bridge damage that I saw was the biggest deal in my mind.
The only hope of keeping the trails open is for all of us to stay involved.

Check the Sam Houston Trails Coalition site for updates. At this time???
The next meeting is Feb 3 at 9am, Gulf Coast Trade Center on FM1375.
I helped walk the trails after "Harvey", they weren't that bad. A few areas need attention but the prior efforts of the volunteers prevented major trail problems. The bridge damage that I saw was the biggest deal in my mind.
The only hope of keeping the trails open is for all of us to stay involved.

Thanks for the reply. I've looked on their website. It doesn't have much info about the status of the trails opening. The information that they do have seems to be from the previous closure.

I did find another thread on here that seems active. I'll probably go there to see if anyone knows.

Cheers!

Come on out on work days. They can as much or more fun than ride days. They post on the Coalition web site and ODOBD.

Rumor is Saturday the 27th for Kelly Pond trailhead, more info to come.

Don't know much about this subject but if it has to do with state beucracy , it's called somon e not doing there job in the admin. Sounds like it's ready to be open but probably looking for excuses to delay, always easier. Really?...roots?. No ****, it's a forest.:puke:

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't know much about this subject but if it has to do with state beucracy , it's called somon e not doing there job in the admin. Sounds like it's ready to be open but probably looking for excuses to delay, always easier. Really?...roots?. No ****, it's a forest.:puke:

Fed bureaucracy. It's a National Forest.

It annoys me that we pay taxes to supposedly keep these forests around so that we can enjoy them. However, those tax dollars are not actually used to do the work necessary to keep them open, and they insist on volunteers doing the necessary work or they shut them down :thumbd:

Fed bureaucracy. It's a National Forest.

It annoys me that we pay taxes to supposedly keep these forests around so that we can enjoy them. However, those tax dollars are not actually used to do the work necessary to keep them open, and they insist on volunteers doing the necessary work or they shut them down :thumbd:
Not really. This is a Texan NF thing. The NF OHV area's operate much differently in LA, AR, NM, AZ, CO, CA etc. etc.

Ironically Texas OHV land area is miniscule in comparison. I think it's more the case they want it to die off same as the couple other OHV NF's have in TX leaving SHNF the sole survivor. Why is this? I haven't a clue.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Not really. This is a Texan NF thing. The NF OHV area's operate much differently in LA, AR, NM, AZ, CO, CA etc. etc.

Ironically Texas OHV land area is miniscule in comparison. I think it's more the case they want it to die off same as the couple other OHV NF's have in TX leaving SHNF the sole survivor. Why is this? I haven't a clue.

I have a clue. Learned from many years of working to keep the Angelina open. That is all I will say here.

Several other OHV Texas stuff is doing well. Canadian River, Barnwell, Lake McKinsey. The only one I see spoty is Ozona. It never seems to be open. They have tried to put on an enduro there and last year canceled it. SHNF is the largest of all those. I kinda feel like Tourmaster.... Pay taxes and everywhere else robs them and leave SHNF to depend on volunteers. The issue I have is you can't touch a tree with a saw as a volunteer until you have have paid for the USF sawyer courses out of your own pocket and time. That is pretty ridiculous. Now we have ludicrous rules about roots requiring even more man hours and use of more power equipment. Now we need to drag a 1500 dollar or better stump grinder down the trail to grind out roots.... :giveup:

Several other OHV Texas stuff is doing well. Canadian River, Barnwell, Lake McKinsey...

My comment was for practically free NF (National Forest) OHV area's. Yes there are some daily use fee OHV area's but you will pay as much to ride one day as you will in the NF for an entire year.

Just wait for when all the root cutting starts killing off trees at SHNF. Then they'll close the trails permanently.

Texas has much to offer but prime OHV riding is not up high on the list. This won't change either as just not enough public land available.

_
6ed3753c6e5197766f88c25a709a4096.jpg

Several other OHV Texas stuff is doing well. Canadian River, Barnwell, Lake McKinsey. The only one I see spoty is Ozona. It never seems to be open. They have tried to put on an enduro there and last year canceled it. SHNF is the largest of all those. I kinda feel like Tourmaster.... Pay taxes and everywhere else robs them and leave SHNF to depend on volunteers. The issue I have is you can't touch a tree with a saw as a volunteer until you have have paid for the USF sawyer courses out of your own pocket and time. That is pretty ridiculous. Now we have ludicrous rules about roots requiring even more man hours and use of more power equipment. Now we need to drag a 1500 dollar or better stump grinder down the trail to grind out roots.... :giveup:

I make similar comments on ODODB site and get shot down for being negative, but it is frustrating, then we fight each other. So I just stay away as others have.

I make similar comments on ODODB site and get shot down for being negative, but it is frustrating, then we fight each other. So I just stay away as others have.
If i lived closer id work there. Its fun to ride. Barnwell is cheap. 60 bucks a year plus sticker. 15 bucks a turn. Cheaper than anything else close to me. Never crowded for bikes and you realy dont see quads and SXS much. On share the trails to get from section to section. Marked one way. Its nice

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

My comment was for practically free NF (National Forest) OHV area's. Yes there are some daily use fee OHV area's but you will pay as much to ride one day as you will in the NF for an entire year.

Just wait for when all the root cutting starts killing off trees at SHNF. Then they'll close the trails permanently.

Texas has much to offer but prime OHV riding is not up high on the list. This won't change either as just not enough public land available.

_
6ed3753c6e5197766f88c25a709a4096.jpg
Yep... one of the largest states amd smallest public use lands. OHV is a very small dot! SHNF is about the only one you can ride in Texas IIRC.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Back