• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Sam Houston NF

@woodsguy, doubt I would ride the XR, that would be somewhat of a beating, if I could even do it. With my son’s new bike, I am back in the market for something more trail worthy. Used, cheap, in good shape (yea, don’t we all want that). Will keep the XR for dual sport stuff. Carson’s first “live” lesson was today in the back yard. He got off balance once duck walking and set it down, not even a scratch, and he goosed it once. Scared him a little but he needed to see that the bike has a motor and is heavier than a bicycle. I assured him that would not be the first time the bike lays on its side. He did great with clutch control. Went from duck walking today to idling around the yard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Better get out there this weekend ahead of this tropical storm, lol.

Lots of riders out yesterday...trails have the occasional wet spots with easy go-arounds. Starting to get grown over.
We will be out Mon/Tues clearing downed trees etc on the west loops/Kellys.

Last edited:
Thanks to all who make these trails possible. Had a great weekend did 20 miles of East today 15 of west yesterday. First trip out for us
4B449C98-7EF9-4B91-AE61-CC2F561FE449.jpeg

I actually did ! Wonder how it got there?

Rode Eastside today Lake Loop and back around "tis hot" hydrated plenty Seen an old friend on the way out. Rob, great talking with you again been way too long, welp bike is all clean ha ha already for another wet one :-P:lol: . Missed the ISS over head dang its now raining at house oh well.

Get out and ride quick, lol. Sand is packed, dirt good(not slippery). You will have to wash your bike, there is the typical wet spots but it's big time fun right now. But very HOT, I didn't hit trails to 1, last night I was feeling it.

I've always heard both ways for street legal d/s. Don't need, you need, ect. This seems to clarify, any bike needs the offroad sticker from state. Trying to clarify the parking pass day use 5 bucks thing. No rumor but in writing.

Just letting you know, I did talk with the Ranger Station a couple of years ago to get an explanation of the stickers and such. They told me the Special Service use Sam Houston Nat Forest Sticker is only for NON-STREET LEGAL vehicles, like 4 wheelers and side by sides, so you don't get tickets using the roads inside the park. They said that if you already have a street legal bike or vehicle, that NO STICKERS are needed other than the normal State of Texas stickers. So from what I gather, the Street Legal roads inside the National Forest have a special non-street legal exemption. I guess you cannot be ticketed for being on a non street legal machine on their roads, and that probably doesn't apply to State highways that cut through. I am sure you are legal to cross a State Highway with any non-street legal machine can cross a road, just not use the road.

R
Just letting you know, I did talk with the Ranger Station a couple of years ago to get an explanation of the stickers and such. They told me the Special Service use Sam Houston Nat Forest Sticker is only for NON-STREET LEGAL vehicles, like 4 wheelers and side by sides, so you don't get tickets using the roads inside the park. They said that if you already have a street legal bike or vehicle, that NO STICKERS are needed other than the normal State of Texas stickers. So from what I gather, the Street Legal roads inside the National Forest have a special non-street legal exemption. I guess you cannot be ticketed for being on a non street legal machine on their roads, and that probably doesn't apply to State highways that cut through. I am sure you are legal to cross a State Highway with any non-street legal machine can cross a road, just not use the road.
Don't agree, there's signs at every trailhead and crossings, street legal only on Forest service roads. Unless I'm misunderstanding your post.

I'm confused now. So if I bring my street legal 450 down there, do I need a sticker or something or is it good to go?

I'm confused now. So if I bring my street legal 450 down there, do I need a sticker or something or is it good to go?
To ride the multi use trails you need a TPWD OHV sticker, only $16 a year. Additional a $5 daily ride pass is required (self pay at trailheads) or a $25 annual pass from Ranger Station on FM1375.

To ride the forestry service roads your street legal license plate is all you need.

And fyi, the OHV sticker does not make you legal to ride the forestry service roads, whether by bike, ATV or UTV.

Post above had lots of wrong info. Not saying a ranger didn't tell him that only that the ranger was misinformed.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

To ride the multi use trails you need a TPWD OHV sticker, only $16 a year. Additional a $5 daily ride pass is required (self pay at trailheads) or a $25 annual pass from Ranger Station on FM1375.

Thanks for the info.

Found this:

and this:

All setup and ready to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just for everyone’s information, the link above is for the new 2021 sticker that will be required starting next month (September 1).

Back