• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Sam Houston NF

Jason, you as well as any other TWT member are always welcome for a guest ride at Zars Ranch in Floresville, 20 bucks a day for some great singletrack. Shoot me a PM and if it is a day I am not going one of the usual suspects will be there and show you around
Very excellent! For those who are far far away, is there a convenient place to safely put bikes if arriving the night before and staying in a motel ?

Houston. We have a problem.
FB_IMG_1626223209719.jpg

Won't stop here either. Over 30 in in the last 30 days. Day will be nice then we get a huge dump, hard to plan anything outside.

This weekend was a wash out. Jason you still on town? Bring your bike?
I ended up leaving the bike at home.
i got to ride the nice i got back up here though 😁

SHTC Quarterly Meeting!
It’s time for the Sam Houston Trails Coalition Quarterly Members Meeting!
WHO: SAM HOUSTON TRAILS COALITION MEMBERS
WHAT: SHTC QUARTERLY MEETING
WHEN: SATURDAY AUGUST 7TH, 2021 09:00 AM - 10:30 AM
All attendees must be off the property by 11:00 AM
WHERE: Gulf Coast Trades Center – Family Life Center
143 Forest Service Rd. #233, New Waverly, TX 77358

Attention Volunteers: Work orders have been submitted and approved this Tuesday,Wednesday ,Thursday and Friday. Bring your work gear and PPE. ...meeting at the Ranger Station on 1375 @ 8:00am .......more info to follow.
Pick a day or every day.
Short days because...it's hot.
@@@@@ ..NOT A RIDE DAY ..@@@@@If I catch you I'll burn your bike.

All volunteers must have a current Volunteer Service Agreement on file with the Forest service....see attached file, download and complete. Must be on file before you start....https://www.samhoustontrails.org/get-involved-2/

I know a lot of you are wondering and asking what is going on with the Multi-Use Trails (MUT) and when are we going to be able to ride them again. I am hoping this provides a bit of clarification and insight to what is happening and where we are in the process of getting the trails back open. The main goal and focus is not getting the trail open as soon as possible but getting them open in a condition that will allow them to stay open more days of the year.

The situation:
The MUT sustained severe damage during the extreme rains of May and early June. It was actually worse than Hurricane Harvey and The Tax Day Flood combined that had the east side MUT closed for five years. Maybe you've seen some of the pictures, but there was major erosion in some areas and bridge damage. The Forest Service (FS) did a damage assessment and has identified all areas of the MUT trails that need attention before the trails can be reopened. The Sam Houston Trials Coalition (SHTC) have been working with the FS on a plan to address the many erosion areas and downed trees so we can open approximately 50 miles of trail on the west and east side combined. These are the trails with less severe damage. Everyone involved is in agreement that we want to do sustainable repairs so we're not doing this all over again with the next weather event. We are planning for hardening of chronic trouble spots and other treatments to reduce future erosion. Bottom line is this is not a fast fix and it's going to take some time. The trails with extreme erosion and bridge damage will be an even bigger effort that the FS is coordinating.

There is a lot of work to do and it needs to be a coordinated effort between the Forest Service and Sam Houston Trails Coalition. I (Jeff Raymer), as the SHTC Motorized Director (along with support of the other Directors of the SHTC), am leading the effort as Project Coordinator and past president David Todd has stepped up as Project Manager to organize the repairs and volunteers. Other volunteers such as Jeff Bryan and Ed Ponikvar have also agreed to step up and help organize volunteers and get able, willing bodies where they will be the most effective. Other volunteers have stepped up to join the efforts and deserve mentioning and praise for doing so. Most of us know that Billy Click and Randy Adams along with Glenn St John and Jeff Heller have been putting a huge amount of volunteer hours on the MUT and other SHNF trails. For that we all owe them a huge debt of gratitude. New guys and girls are stepping up and showing initiative every week by getting their Sawyer Certification, inquiring as to how and where they can help and showing up on trail to join in the volunteer efforts. People like Steve and Debbie Patansky, John Maldanado, Javier Godard, Scott Strain, Jim Jimrad, R.A. Cooksey, Steve Carlson, JJ Reidy, Rob Vaughn, James Gunter, John Marino, Kevin Kauk to name a few. Other volunteers from Old Dudes on Dirt Bikes (ODODB) and various elements of the SHTC have also shown interest and initiative in helping in the efforts.

There will be plenty of opportunities to step up and give back to the trails we all cherish so greatly. For those that cannot spare the time to join the boots-on-the-ground efforts, there is always a need for donations. Fund raiser events and merch to be coming soon. All proceeds will go to betterment of the Sam Houston National Forest trail systems and specifically (for the immediate future) the MUT. To make a donation go to the SHTC website and click on the “Donate” button. You must chose “Motorized” if you want your donations to be earmarked for that particular element or donation proceeds will go to the general Coalition fund.

Thank you and I challenge you to get involved.
If everyone that complained pitched in and helped there would be nothing to complain about!

Jeff Raymer
Sam Houston Trails Coalition

SHTC Quarterly Meeting!
It’s time for the Sam Houston Trails Coalition Quarterly Members Meeting!
WHO: SAM HOUSTON TRAILS COALITION MEMBERS
WHAT: SHTC QUARTERLY MEETING
WHEN: SATURDAY AUGUST 7TH, 2021 09:00 AM - 10:30 AM
All attendees must be off the property by 11:00 AM
WHERE: Gulf Coast Trades Center – Family Life Center
143 Forest Service Rd. #233, New Waverly, TX 77358
215795980_349121646700337_1112429744810075146_n.jpg

I was out yesterday on the dirt roads of the Sam, came up a truck with a quad and dirt bike with a small car. On the smart phone probably trying to find somewhere to ride. Might call before you haul! Also odds are they haven't had the safety course for the quad so not legal anyway. It's shame how far you have to go from Houston/Beaumont to find legal trails.

I was out yesterday on the dirt roads of the Sam, came up a truck with a quad and dirt bike with a small car. On the smart phone probably trying to find somewhere to ride. Might call before you haul! Also odds are they haven't had the safety course for the quad so not legal anyway. It's shame how far you have to go from Houston/Beaumont to find legal trails.
And the people said AMEN!

They're building jumps and freeways for you fast guys. Obstacles for me, lol.
Resized_photo-2021-08-06-10-06-53.jpeg

I know they're for erosion control, but I really can't stand all the whoops out there. Makes riding otherwise nice trails unpleasant and exhausting.

I know they're for erosion control, but I really can't stand all the whoops out there. Makes riding otherwise nice trails unpleasant and exhausting.
There's a difference in erosion humps and whoops. The bikes make the whoops naturally. Action of suspension I guess. Back in vintage days wasn't an issue. But yes the whoops ruin it for me. Toss in 2 way trails, blah.

Because they are rounded off on the tops and if your suspension is set right, you can charge them at speed and bounce across the tops. Stand up on the pegs, shift your weight to the back, and stay on the gas. I’ve done it every time I’ve been out there and it makes a big difference in the amount of energy it takes to get through those bumps. Believe it or not, it feels to me that it takes far less physical energy doing it that way verses riding over every one. Also, look to the right and left side to see if there is a smoother path than hitting them dead center; there usually is.

You are correct young man. Emphasis on the "young man". Father Time does something to the connection of the brain to the throttle hand. Resist it as you will but ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :thumb:

Back