• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Sam Houston NF

Me and Vinny were talking last night over a campfire about the good old days when Caney Creek was in full swing. What I remembered the most about that enduro was the police blocking off the coiunty roads so we could ride our dirtbikes from campground to the forest to start the race. That was truly a unique experience.

Also, we're thinking getting an austin crew down to SHNF sometimes in late Feb. for a Thur-Sat camp and ride. We're not getting enough sand and whoops in our dirt diet

Me and Vinny were talking last night over a campfire about the good old days when Caney Creek was in full swing. What I remembered the most about that enduro was the police blocking off the coiunty roads so we could ride our dirtbikes from campground to the forest to start the race. That was truly a unique experience.

Also, we're thinking getting an austin crew down to SHNF sometimes in late Feb. for a Thur-Sat camp and ride. We're not getting enough sand and whoops in our dirt diet
Yep. And a great breakfast at the restaurant just outside the campground there in town was awesome!

Have they ever reopened the restaurant FM 1375 ran into on the east side of I45 ( believe it was called New Wavely House or Waverly House)?

A hunter came across this in the Sam. Wonder what!
FB_IMG_1639670492952.jpg

Yep, '73 for me. Caney Creek enduro was home base there in the early days. Fun times.
Fun times indeed. September Enduros in the forest usually meant low to mid 90's and a sweat fest. I remember TRH would post trash cans filled with water for us to refill our camelbacks at certain spots. I saw a guy dunk his head into one to cool off and you could count the knives in his back from the looks we ALL gave him.

I just wanted to provide a quick update for the** Sam Houston National Forest Multi-Use Trails**. Most of you I'm sure have been following along with the great pics and updates that have been coming through on the **Sam Houston National Forest Multi Use Trail system** Facebook page. If not, and since this will be shared with other groups, I will provide some of the pics here as well.

First off, the Coalition volunteers have put in a tremendous amount of work getting us to this point and I would like to applaud the guys and girls that have gotten out to put in the time or have donated to the Coalition when they were unable to donate their time. All MUT enthusiast including hunters, equestrians, hikers and cyclist owe you a debt of gratitude.

The east and west MUT are still only partially open due to several flood related issues stemming back to the heavy amount of rain we received back in the beginning of the summer. The Coalition and Forest Service worked together to identified two loops (one on te east side and one on the west side) that would be easy to open so people could start riding the MUT asap back in August. Volunteers worked tirelessly to get these two loops open and that is what we have been riding ever since.

Fast forward to today. The Coalition and the Forest Service have worked together to identify the next stage of the MUT that can be opened. Due to bridge repairs that will require some additional preparation work before we can perform the repairs, the west side became the obvious trail to work on due to the lack of damaged bridges and the least amount of severely damaged trail. The Forest Service and the Coalition have worked together to formulate a plan and identify treatment methods to get the rest of the west side open. This week the volunteers have been out implementing an erosion repair and tread hardening technic never used on the MUT to date. This is a testament to the working relationship that the Coalition and Forest Service have now and what can and will be accomplished in the near future because of it. Getting new treatment methods approved alone is a major undertaking when dealing with a Federal Agency as most of you probably can imagine. It has taken a lot of time and effort but worth every second if we can have a **more water tolerant and less maintenance intensive** (the mantra we should all get to know and love) trail in the future. Most of you have seen the pics in this group but I am including them for others to see and to once again recognize those that have been able to physically go out and get the work done. Great job guys and gals! The next step is to get some final punch list items knocked out and the west side will be fully open! I won't give any specific dates since they are subject to change but rest assured, it will be soon.

This just some of the good stuff I mentioned that is coming soon to the MUT! Keep checking in for updates. Come out and volunteer if you are able and donate if you are not able to donate the time. Remember that what you put in you will get out.

Hi all. Just to let you know that the USFS has reopened the MUT trails as of today. In addition, String, N Balloon, and S Balloon are also now open thanks to the ~35 workdays and hundreds of volunteer hours that went into making that happen!

I'm including the updated trail map. The same has been refreshed on the SHTC website.

Happy for you guys. Wish I was closer. Someday I'll get a taste of that sand.

Happy for you guys. Wish I was closer. Someday I'll get a taste of that sand.
I'd ride with you any time if you want an old man guide! @GSTJOHN is retired and really close. He goes quite often. Good guy and knows all the trails well.

I could ride just about any day this coming week except Monday. BUT will be a pure slug, haven't ridden since March. Don't want to mess up a fast group. Old, out of shape, slow, skeered, slow, half blind, slow,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,got it?

I could ride just about any day this coming week except Monday. BUT will be a pure slug, haven't ridden since March. Don't want to mess up a fast group. Old, out of shape, slow, skeered, slow, half blind, slow,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,got it?
X's 2. I'll be down with covid booster Sunday and Monday minimum.

We got our booster Tuesday. I never felt a thing, wife had a sore arm, fever and aches and pains for two days. But she's a cajun.

Reactions: my6
We got our booster Tuesday. I never felt a thing, wife had a sore arm, fever and aches and pains for two days. But she's a cajun.
If 2nd Vax is any indication it'll be a blast. Right. Tremors, vomit, and 104 fever. Can't wait.

Reactions: fly
Wow? I wouldn't go back. We got the Moderna. I can honestly say i barely felt a single needle prick, nothing else. Good luck to all!

Back